Bother with butternuts

• 12 Replies

Totty

Bother with butternuts
« on: August 07, 2010, 14:53 »
Our squash plant is growing really well, very strong plant. Every day we are seeing new squash appearing, then when they get to about three inches long, they start going yellow and soft. They then begin to rot and need removing.

Whats going on?

Totty

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Bother with butternuts
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2010, 15:01 »
they are not getting polinated :(

Do you have male flowers (the ones without baby sized butternuts behind) as well as the female flowers?

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2010, 15:03 »
They almost certainly are not getting pollinated, either because there are not enough insects to do the job or your plants are only producing female flowers (the ones with the small embryo squash behind the petals.)

A good idea to make sure of pollination if you do have male flowers by using a small paintbrush to transfer pollen from male to female flowers (needs to be done during the day when the flowers are open!)

Edit: 2 answers for the price of one and 100% agreement (rare!)  :)

Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2010, 15:21 »
Agreement.....but I hand pollinate by pinching off a male flower, removing the petals and carefully inserting it into the middle of the female flower..........you get the picture...you can even play some Barry White lurve music if you are so inclined :lol:

It just saves me having to find a paintbrush ::)

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2010, 16:23 »
Agreement.....but I hand pollinate by pinching off a male flower, removing the petals and carefully inserting it into the middle of the female flower..........you get the picture...you can even play some Barry White lurve music if you are so inclined :lol:

It just saves me having to find a paintbrush ::)

OK let's make it 99% then!  :tongue2:

I keep a special lurrrv-paintbrush in my pen jar so that it's always ready to go in my shirt pocket when I go up the garden. I've even been known to go out shopping with it still there (well, you never know, do you?!)  :nowink:

radiohead

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2010, 17:05 »
I have 2 butternuts sprawling all over the shop with loads of flowers but they are all male :(.....there is only one female with a small fruit forming,am I doing something wrong?

doubledug

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2010, 17:12 »
lucky little lady  butternut  :D

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2010, 17:18 »
I have 2 butternuts sprawling all over the shop with loads of flowers but they are all male :(.....there is only one female with a small fruit forming,am I doing something wrong?

more females should grow soon, fingers crossed..........I don't think there is anything you can do about it :unsure:

someoneorother

« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2010, 18:13 »
Indeed - I find the first few  (maybe 5 or so?) flowers on each vine are male, then the females start appearing. They do seem to open at the same time as each other as well, which is quite clever.

Totty

« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2010, 19:08 »
ok, will do the same as the melons then, take off the male flower and twiddle that in the female flowers.

Cheers!  :D

rikknikk

« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2010, 19:21 »
I have fruit that is quite big but looks lime green and not yellow, how do I know when to pick?

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2010, 19:24 »
I have fruit that is quite big but looks lime green and not yellow, how do I know when to pick?

when the colour changes, they are ready whatever size they have grown to :)

Junie

« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2010, 21:57 »
Indeed - I find the first few  (maybe 5 or so?) flowers on each vine are male, then the females start appearing. They do seem to open at the same time as each other as well, which is quite clever.
I found the same last year, this year I have loads of different squashes which are all intermingling with each other, not  sure if all the squashes will be the same with mainly male flowers first, but it does seem to be the case.  It was certainly the same with pumpkin last year too.

xx
How are your Butternuts doing?

Started by stompy on Grow Your Own

32 Replies
Last post August 12, 2011, 16:50
by mumofstig
xx
ButterNuts

Started by MoreWhisky on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post September 09, 2009, 21:44
by mumofstig
xx
Too many butternuts??

Started by Plot22 on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post July 28, 2010, 01:28
by Paul Plots
xx
Baby butternuts

Started by RJR_38 on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post September 09, 2013, 07:15
by ghost61

Page created in 0.487 seconds with 30 queries.