ButterNuts

• 12 Replies

MoreWhisky

ButterNuts
« on: September 07, 2009, 22:11 »
Had a accident today , had my knife out as i was inspecting my butternut squash plant  and accidently stuck one of my squashes  :ohmy:

Its just happened to be the best one to, even tho its only about 3 inches.

The damage was about an inch straight in the side with no exit wound lol.

What i was hoping someone would know is should i now send it to the compost heap or could it possible  heal itself?

Cheers MW.
I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany.

Paul Plots

Re: ButterNuts
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2009, 22:15 »
If it's the best one of the lot leave it to take its chances....... on the compost heap it wont grow any bigger!! On the plant it stands a fighting chance...

When did you plant your BNS and are they getting enough sun and water?
Mine are considerably bigger and gradually ripening.
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

MoreWhisky

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2009, 22:18 »
I know im behind with them learner that why asked question because if there a chance it wont make it i think i should take it off give the others more chance. I  think..

Chuffy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2009, 22:19 »
It might survive, but I reckon it's more likely to invite slugs, bugs and other nasties as well as rotting. Your best bet is to sacrifice it for the good of the rest.*

* - at midnight, accompanied by naked virgins, black cockerels and throbbing drums is best but check your allotment rulebook first.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2009, 22:20 »
* - at midnight, accompanied by naked virgins, black cockerels and throbbing drums is best but check your allotment rulebook first.

Don't think Fulford Parish Council would appreciate throbbing drums at midnight MW, do you  :ohmy: :lol:
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Chuffy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2009, 22:34 »

Don't think Fulford Parish Council would appreciate throbbing drums at midnight MW, do you  :ohmy: :lol:
How are you off for virgins?

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2009, 23:02 »
Just bear in mind that this is a family forum folks  :D

Paul Plots

« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2009, 01:09 »
I went with a group of teachers to France as part of a week long cultural and educational development visit. We were invited to dine with memners of the region's education committee at a college training chefs and caterers.  At the beginning of the meal I was asked in English if I wanted wine or a virgin.

One of the English teachers sitting next to me only just avoided spraying a mouth full of wine over our hosts…

The virgin was orange and very tasty.

MoreWhisky

« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2009, 09:46 »
lol this is the first time ive had a thread hijacked into virgins.

Especially one about butterNuts

Paul Plots

« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2009, 20:44 »
lol this is the first time ive had a thread hijacked into virgins.

Especially one about butterNuts

I apologise for hijacking your butternut squashes with my orange virgins - similar colour and equally interesting on the surface....  :unsure: 

But, when you get through that tough, shell like exterior I know which ones I would rather have!

Orange juice is not something I can grow - butternut squash are fabulous and my plants look like having a bumper year if they ripen well enough.

How’s yours doing?  ;)

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2009, 20:59 »
Each of my 'Hunter' plants has set 3 squashes  :) they do seem to be stuck at about half size compared with the shop ones though.
The 'Thelma Sanders' pumpkin at about 18ft long has finally set 4 though, and they are getting fat very quickly :D, and 'Sunshine' has set another 2 after i cut the first 2 off as they had turned orange.....All in all.....a good harvest this year :lol: (... last year I had zilch)

Paul Plots

« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2009, 21:37 »
Each of my 'Hunter' plants has set 3 squashes  :) they do seem to be stuck at about half size compared with the shop ones though.
The 'Thelma Sanders' pumpkin at about 18ft long has finally set 4 though, and they are getting fat very quickly :D, and 'Sunshine' has set another 2 after i cut the first 2 off as they had turned orange.....All in all.....a good harvest this year :lol: (... last year I had zilch)

My last year's performance wasn't a startling success either. This year, although not hugely large, I do have far more fruit - medium size. So....can't complain.... I just hope they store successfully.

I intend to leave mine where they are until the runner beans give up the ghost... this seems to be around about the right time to harvest bns most years. What say you??

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2009, 21:44 »
Yup.................leave em till either you, or a forcaster, thinks that there is a frost on the way.
The runner beans seem to know..don't they :lol:

xx
Too many butternuts??

Started by Plot22 on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post July 28, 2010, 01:28
by Paul Plots
xx
How are your Butternuts doing?

Started by stompy on Grow Your Own

32 Replies
Last post August 12, 2011, 16:50
by mumofstig
xx
Why are butternuts so slow?

Started by sunshineband on Grow Your Own

23 Replies
Last post May 26, 2010, 00:25
by chilli-pot
xx
Baby butternuts

Started by RJR_38 on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post September 09, 2013, 07:15
by ghost61

Page created in 0.579 seconds with 38 queries.