Baby butternuts

• 15 Replies

RJR_38

• www.foodinmytum.com
Baby butternuts
« on: September 07, 2013, 16:27 »
I had given up on my 2 butternut squash plants as all my other squash had fruited and were doing well and although my butternuts were taking over the world there were no female flowers and nothing was setting. I go down to the plot after 9 days and find 3 or 4 of these today:

The plants still look very healthy and green so I am unsure whether these will be able to grow and harden off in time. I don't mind if they are small but do you think these will get to a stage where they are edible or is it too late now? What can I do to give them the best possible chance?

Salmo

Re: Baby butternuts
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2013, 16:47 »
Depends on the weather.

Butternuts seem to have been a great disappointment generally this year. Mine have done even worse than yours. I chose Hunter as they were supposed to have been bred for our climate. All the other squashes are brilliant. Three Hunters have produced just 2 fruits about the size of yours.

For years butternuts have been unreliable and we have blamed it on the fact that our climate is marginal for them. Now I just wonder if they are worth continuing to grow.

ghost61

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2013, 16:50 »
Best year ever on our site. Absolute whoppers being harvested by many, weighing in at over 5lb a piece and about 10 to each plant.

Fairy Plotmother

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2013, 16:54 »
 :D My butternuts are whoppers this year. I haven't harvested any yet but the yield will be far and away better than I have managed before. I wish there was a prize for the biggest butternut.... I might have a chance  :lol: :lol:

RJR_38

• www.foodinmytum.com
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2013, 17:03 »
The other ones I have seen on the plot are quite small but are changing colour. I can't really compare as I wasn't here last year though.

This variety is Waltham from real seeds which is meant to be an early and productive cropper  :ohmy: what varieties have you down fairy plotmother and ghost?

ghost61

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2013, 17:07 »
I grow Butterboy.

Fairy Plotmother

« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2013, 17:09 »
Mine are Avalon.... I can't take much credit for them as I have only planted them, watered them and fed them now and again. I'm certainly no expert but my plot neighbours seem to think My squash take all the credits at our site. Well pleased with that. :D :D :D :D

8doubles

« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2013, 17:22 »
You can eat b/nuts at any stage but they do not have the same flavour as a ripe one !

Halved and baked in veg stock with onions and toms and finished with a bit (lot) of grated cheese on top was my way of using any little `uns ! :)

8doubles

« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2013, 17:25 »
You can eat b/nuts at any stage but they do not have the same flavour as a ripe one !

Halved and baked in veg stock with onions and toms and finished with a bit (lot) of grated cheese on top was my way of using any little `uns ! :)

Looks likes yours will ripen but the may not store as well as the larger ones.

AlaninCarlisle

« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2013, 17:52 »
I've just decided that the babies on my outdoor butternuts will never make it and pulled up the plants. By contrast, the same variety  (can't recall the variety) in the polytunnel have produced some whoppers. Haven't weighed any yet but a couple are about 15 inches long and about 8 inches diameter

RJR_38

• www.foodinmytum.com
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2013, 18:23 »

Looks likes yours will ripen but the may not store as well as the larger ones.

That's fine - storage won't be a problem as we love squash so they won't last long. I will continue to feed them and pray then :)

AlaninCarlisle

« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2013, 18:38 »
You should be fine in the South. I just know that up here in the Frozen North my babies will never see adolescence let alone adulthood

Nikkithefoot

« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2013, 19:33 »
Depends on the weather.

Butternuts seem to have been a great disappointment generally this year. Mine have done even worse than yours. I chose Hunter as they were supposed to have been bred for our climate. All the other squashes are brilliant. Three Hunters have produced just 2 fruits about the size of yours.

For years butternuts have been unreliable and we have blamed it on the fact that our climate is marginal for them. Now I just wonder if they are worth continuing to grow.

I have mentioned this on another thread, but try growing something called Jumbo Pink Banana. It (IMHO) is much more reliable than butternut, cooks in a very similar fashion, and the fruits are gihuge. Even last year when pretty much everything esle turned its toes up I managed 2 good sized fruits.
This year I planted out 2 plants and have got at least 6 fruits that I can see under the foliage with more still growing. One fruit will do 2 meals for 5 of us (certainly when roasted).
I love them and will grow possibly 4 plants next year.
Beware though they are somewhat rampant and the leaves are bigger than butternuts.
I was put on this earth to accomplish a certain number of things; right now I am so far behind I will never die.

devonbarmygardener

• I live, therefore I garden!
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2013, 10:21 »
My very first year on the plot I grew butternuts and had loads of them :happy:
Every year the harvest got less until for a couple of years I had none at all.
Now I'm trying different squashes and have had a bit more success although this is probably due to the better weather we've gad this year ::)

surbie100

• Winner Prettiest Pumpkin - 2014
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2013, 05:14 »
I have none this year (grew Avalon and Hunter). My newbie neighbour has 2 plants and 6 huge butternuts - must ask what variety!

xx
How are your Butternuts doing?

Started by stompy on Grow Your Own

32 Replies
Last post August 12, 2011, 16:50
by mumofstig
xx
Too many butternuts??

Started by Plot22 on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post July 28, 2010, 01:28
by Paul Plots
xx
ButterNuts

Started by MoreWhisky on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post September 09, 2009, 21:44
by mumofstig
xx
Butternuts- Piccies

Started by Big Jen on Grow Your Own

18 Replies
Last post September 24, 2008, 09:48
by Rhuby

Page created in 0.42 seconds with 37 queries.