Cabbage Root Fly

• 2 Replies

cheetah

• Hello. I'm interested in growing vegetables!
Cabbage Root Fly
« on: August 07, 2010, 23:23 »
 I'm a very novice gardener.
 I've grown a few veg the past 3 or 4 years. This year amongst other things I've grown cabbage. I found a beautiful one  looking very sorry for itself tonight, looking wilted. I took it out of the ground to find what looked like maggots in the roots. This is my first encounter with what I presume to be 'cabbage root fly'. Is it safe to eat? Are other cabbages likely to be affected ( I've cleared out that bit of soil and root.) Can I grow other things in that spot now and next year?
 I would be grateful for any advice.

Salmo

Re: Cabbage Root Fly
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2010, 00:21 »
The cabbage will be OK to eat. Other cabbages may well be affected, you can safely plant crops there, including cabbages if you want to. Any maggots in the soil will have perished because you removed their food supply i.e. the cabbage roots.

To combat cabbage root fly you must understand its lifecycle. By exploiting a weak point there is a very simple way of preventing damage.

A cabbage root fly is similar to a housefly. It lays its eggs on soil near the base of a cabbage plant. When they hatch the maggots crawl into the soil and feed on the roots. If there are only one or two of them they do little harm. if, as you have experienced, there are dozens of them they will weaken and kill the plant. When the maggots are mature they pupate in the soil and then hatch. So the life cycle begins again.

To prevent them simply fit a disc of material round the stem of each plant flat on the soil. The cabbage root fly lays its eggs on the disc but the maggot is unable to wriggle into the soil and perishes.

You can buy discs but you can easily make them yourself out of anything to hand that will lie flat and stay put like roofing felt, thick plastic sheet, cardboard etc. They should be about 4 inches diameter. Cut a slit to the centre to allow the disc to be fitted. Make a pencil sized hole at the centre to allow the disc to fit snugly round the stem. Water your plants in and fit immediately.

cheetah

• Hello. I'm interested in growing vegetables!
Re: Cabbage Root Fly
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2010, 00:56 »
Thank you for your reply (to all my questions!). I'll definitely make those discs.

xx
Cabbage root fly

Started by LottieSue on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post July 31, 2012, 19:32
by allot2learn
xx
cabbage root fly

Started by LottieSue on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post July 10, 2011, 15:09
by Yorkie
xx
Cabbage root fly - oh no!!!!

Started by Catherine on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post June 02, 2008, 22:06
by Catherine
xx
Cabbage root fly

Started by Deborah1 on Grow Your Own

0 Replies
Last post July 27, 2018, 14:53
by Deborah1

Page created in 1.711 seconds with 36 queries.