Date stamping eggs

• 27 Replies

orchardlady

Re: Date stamping eggs
« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2010, 16:24 »
The only time I date my eggs (with my unleaded pencil) is if I'm going to use them under a broody hen otherwise they simply don't stay in the house long enough to be concerned that they might get old. Any excess eggs go in a rabbit hutch on my drive at 7am and are usually gone sometime between 7.30 and 8am! Once friends and family get to know your hens are laying there will be a que around the corner!

oborne27

« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2010, 19:29 »
Pencil here to!

wolverine

• Experienced Member
« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2010, 06:00 »
I got a date stamp and ink pad from the local pound  shop for £1 it takes a while to get used to rolling the stamp over the contours of the egg. But I'm pretty good at it now and sometimes when I give eggs away my friends question if they are from my chooks because the stamp looks like I've bought them from the shop. Food grade ink? not sure it's necessary if your not selling them and it hasn't hurt me yet ( or has it :wacko: )  as far as egg skelters go if you don't refrigerate your eggs then they are great but I prefer to store mine in the fridge. I really wish though I could get that idea out my head though as I would love an egg skelter in my kitcen.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2010, 06:04 by wolverine »
"It's so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don't say it."

Sassy

« Reply #18 on: November 04, 2010, 08:46 »
I only refridgerate my eggs because I have a cockerel in with my hens otherwise I wouldn't bother. The supermarkets who are ususally ultra careful about these things do not sell eggs under refreidgeration!

I have a collection of monks that take 6 eggs to give the monks a bald head! Tickled my sense of humour :D :D :D
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

orchardlady

« Reply #19 on: November 04, 2010, 09:04 »
Hey Sassy. You mention that you refrigerate your eggs because you have a cockerel with your girls. May ask (politly), why do you refrigerate?.....I'm clearly missing something here. :unsure:

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #20 on: November 04, 2010, 09:09 »
because if they are fertile they can start to develop in warmth  :)
Staffies are softer than you think.

evie2

« Reply #21 on: November 04, 2010, 14:33 »
I think I'll start using a pencil, my lot just pick an egg regardless  :mad:
May this day be blessed with gifts, understanding and friends.  Merlin 2001-2012 Pandora 2001-2013 xxx

orchardlady

« Reply #22 on: November 04, 2010, 22:00 »
Now that is interesting. I've kept fertile eggs on my kitchen side (kitchen with and Aga on all year round) for 10 days before I put some of them under a broody. Excellent hatch BUT I didn't use them all for the broody and ate the excess. These excess certainly had not started to develop at warm kitchen in summer temperatures. The broody also didn't have any early or dud hatchings either, so I'm not totally convinced that you are correct in thinking that an egg would start to develop in a normal ambient temperature. It surely requires the right temperature/humidity of the broody's body. Also a broody bird usually (in the wild bird state) will lay a clutch of eggs over a week lets say before she starts to incubate them and her eggs are in her nest rather than the fridge before she starts!

I would truly value an explanation as I keep cockerels with my hens to. :)

michellela

• Experienced Member
« Reply #23 on: November 04, 2010, 22:25 »
I've always found it interesting that they are kept out of refrigeration in store then we put them in the fridge when we get them home, odd.

I searched google for the phrase "storing eggs at room temperature" and of the articles I read, none mentioned anything about the fertility of the eggs.  Most suggested that eggs could be stored well at room temperature but storing them in the fridge could retard the growth of bacteria.  I guess if you were keeping them for a huge length of time this would be an issue but if I had access to my own fresh eggs I don't think I'd have them around long enough to worry about it.

penninehillbilly

• Experienced Member
« Reply #24 on: November 04, 2010, 23:26 »
I (try to) keep a pencil in the shed (usually ends up in my pocket/gets lost).
I started to sell some eggs at club I was a member of, they thought it was great that each individual egg had the date written on

wolverine

• Experienced Member
« Reply #25 on: November 05, 2010, 06:19 »
I have in the past done alot of research Into how best to store eggs and why supermarkets don't refrigerate the answer is that eggs are safest stored at a constant temp if the go out of the fridge at the supermarket in your warmer car on the way home condensation will form on the shell which can allow bacteria to pass through the shell. however if this change in temp can be avoided eggs are best kept in the fridge. an egg stored at room temp will deteriorate 3 times faster apparently than one kept in the fridge. I'm not saying keeping them at room temperature is wrong just the eggs will go bad sooner. basiccaly I think store them how you like as long as the temp doesn't fluctuate to much

Sassy

« Reply #26 on: November 05, 2010, 10:22 »
Hens that lay eggs for supermarkets do not have access to cockerels which is one of the reasons that supermarkets stock them out of refridgeration. Whilst it is unlikely that a fertilised egg would start to develop unless under a broody or in an incubator it does happen.  I would not like to take the top off my boiled egg and be faced with a semi-developed embryo! :ohmy: :ohmy:

It is down to personal choice. :)

Chookiechook

• riverside quails
« Reply #27 on: November 05, 2010, 11:07 »
I bought a date stamp and ink pad from Wilkinsons today for a pound!!

Is the ink really not suitable??

I am not going to eat the shell and cant think that it will go through the shell in large enough quantities to harm anyone!!

update..... just tried it and its a bit pants :(  just about marks the egg but think its the pad not the stamper :(
I love Pekins, Polands and Seramas :) and eggs!!!

xx
Marking eggs with a date

Started by wolverine on The Hen House

28 Replies
Last post June 14, 2010, 00:05
by TeaPots
xx
Date Marking Eggs

Started by chickenlicken on The Hen House

16 Replies
Last post April 10, 2009, 18:40
by alotment shed
xx
stamping chicken!

Started by gayleshort on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post October 30, 2010, 19:00
by CluckyChicken
xx
Day olds + up date

Started by kimT on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post June 27, 2008, 13:05
by mickwood

Page created in 0.476 seconds with 37 queries.