veggie patch position

• 6 Replies

Porffor

veggie patch position
« on: May 17, 2008, 21:48 »
Hi all, I'm new..
had an allotment years ago, but am not growing some veggies in my garden at home. :)

We live on a hillside, so have a hilly garden. Not huge mind.
but.. we have a 'wall' just outside our back door that is about 3.5 foot from the ground and the garden starts there. I have started a 'raised bed' garden there.. and currently have radish, cauliflowers and some poor tomato's. The toms are 'poor' because I planted them too early!  :roll:

The sun rises to the left of the garden, and comes 'round' at this time of the year, so the 'bed' is in the shade come 12pm by the shade of the house.

My question.. is if that's 'ok' for the veg I have there. I have room for more tom's further into the garden against a wall and have more toms ready to be planted (2 varieties). Along with Baby corn, mange tout, butternut squash and cucumber.
This section will get a LOT more sun. But involves me bending to ground level and I have a bad back.

So.. i'm looking for advice mainly on what i can put near the wall once the radish's are out - though i am planning to sow these regularly, but not necessarily there.
And which of the other crops will do better in the full sun?

Thanks,

gobs

Re: veggie patch position
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2008, 22:08 »
Quote from: "Porffor"

The sun rises to the left of the garden, and comes 'round' at this time of the year, so the 'bed' is in the shade come 12pm by the shade of the house.

My question.. is

Where are you standing and which way are you facing? Also what is left of the garden, East I guess from your post and also hazard the brave guess that the house might be to your right, but I can be so wrong.

No idea, what daily sunshine from which direction each of your planting spots get. :shock:

But your tomatoes actually are happy with some limited sunshine and light hours. :wink:
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

Porffor

veggie patch position
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2008, 22:14 »
sorry, am rubbish at the whole north south thing.

I'll try and find a compass tomorrow. :) we have one somewhere.  :? lol

it's hard to explain on the pc.

gobs

veggie patch position
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2008, 22:23 »
No, you are fine, just sort of mixing left to right with north and south in description, so nobody that's been there gonna sure which way.

So One of your beds gets the morning sun from the left/East, I'm with that, the rest of planting positions I'm not quite confident about. :lol:

Porffor

veggie patch position
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2008, 22:50 »

the others are not dug yet, but am planning to just go further away from the house, parallel but further into the garden. :) And further to the left (as it goes behind some sheds that are at ground level not on top of the wall) The raised wall wraps round behind hte sheds with a gap, so once cleared, I could walk along the gap and continue to use the wall as a raised bed, and garden for about 40 foot or so. :) there are no buildings to block the light to that section as we have no houses to the rear of the garden, or side. :)

gobs

veggie patch position
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2008, 07:47 »
Most things like it sunny, salads and similar leafy things are happy with some shade.

Saying that, I have grown melons and peppers in part of the garden that's shaded in the afternoon, not form 12, but from a bit later on. Should not forget, there are many more daylight hours here than where a lot of summer crops come from. :)

Your beds sound good.

Porffor

veggie patch position
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2008, 08:13 »
Thanks Gobs :) I'll be planting mostly in the more sunny position, as realise the shade is a prob. But the radish seem to be doing fine in the part shade. :) The guinea pigs are enjoying the first crop as we speak! lol I brought them on indoors first mind you. But will plant out from seed now. :)

It's great fun playing with veggies again and my eldest loves it. My youngest is chief waterer - well with a little help from mum of course!  :tongue2:

xx
New veggie patch

Started by Geckodiva on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post December 08, 2007, 14:21
by Sally A
xx
ants in veggie patch

Started by mandyr on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post May 23, 2009, 08:44
by Oliver
xx
Creating our veggie patch

Started by buttonnose82 on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post August 21, 2011, 20:03
by mumofstig
xx
New house, big veggie patch?

Started by Notnam on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post June 19, 2012, 16:03
by GYO Girl

Page created in 0.421 seconds with 30 queries.