Creating our veggie patch

• 2 Replies

buttonnose82

Creating our veggie patch
« on: August 21, 2011, 17:18 »
I need help :(

We recently moved into our new home and have alot of grassed area and plan on digging some up too create a veggie patch, Now the most ideal place (out of the way of flying balls as the baby gets older!) is right at the end, a funny shape but could work, it gets ALOT of sun on a morning and planty of shade on a afternoon, only trouble is there are 2 fruit trees in the middle of it ...... one we believe too be a crab apple tree and the other .... well we aren't too sure, it's the same shape & size as the crab apples but a fuzzy outside and the stone looks much like a peach stone?

Anyway, would a veggie patch work in amongst fruit tree's or will the tree's take too much moisture out of the ground too work well??

As soon as we find the Camera I will try take pics so I can maybe explain better??

Thanks in advance

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: Creating our veggie patch
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2011, 18:43 »
I'd avoid the veggie garden around the trees.  They really will compete for nutrients and moisture, as well as potentially cast shade.  You also run the risk of damaging tree roots by digging around them.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Creating our veggie patch
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2011, 20:03 »
When you try to dig there you will break the tree roots and they will grow suckers up through your veg.....been there done that  :(

xx
Creating a veggie patch

Started by buttonnose82 on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post March 29, 2011, 21:50
by rozalia
xx
New veggie patch

Started by Geckodiva on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post December 08, 2007, 14:21
by Sally A
xx
New house, big veggie patch?

Started by Notnam on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post June 19, 2012, 16:03
by GYO Girl
xx
veggie patch position

Started by Porffor on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post May 18, 2008, 08:13
by Porffor

Page created in 0.473 seconds with 30 queries.