Tomato Blight Prevention

• 12 Replies

Teen76

• Experienced Member
    • Tina's Plot
Tomato Blight Prevention
« on: May 17, 2008, 18:16 »
I have planted out my tomatoes (I know its a bit early) and have been advised that there is a problem of tomato blight on the sight.  Does anyone have any ideas on prevention.  My tomato plants are of the bush variety.
Teen

slowcompost

• Experienced Member
blight
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2008, 19:01 »
Tomato blight is the same as potato blight and was very bad last year, damp weather.
Best way to prevent it with tomatos i would think is to cover them up when it rains.
Spores are spread by rain I believe.
My outdoor ones all went over last year but in the greenhouse they were ok.  
By the way if youve got tomatos outside already they should have some protection against cold winds and possible frost.
As the great Percy Thrower used to say
" OI THINK THE ANSWER LIES IN THE SOIL"

potatopotato

Tomato Blight Prevention
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2008, 19:23 »
Didn't Rob say something about crushing up aspirin and watering young tomato plants with the resulting solution gives good resistance to blight , or was it pests and diseases??
So everybody's entitled to opinions, I open up my mouth, and s***, I've got millions! - Lady Sovereign

Teen76

• Experienced Member
    • Tina's Plot
Tomato Blight Prevention
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2008, 19:53 »
I have to get a move on and buy some fleece  :wink:

gobs

Tomato Blight Prevention
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2008, 20:54 »
I don't think fleece would help there, it needs to be something non-porus, like plastic sheeting or similar.
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

Teen76

• Experienced Member
    • Tina's Plot
Tomato Blight Prevention
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2008, 20:58 »
I meant to keep the cold out.  Or did you mean that too?

gobs

Tomato Blight Prevention
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2008, 21:01 »
Quote from: "Teen76"
I meant to keep the cold out.  Or did you mean that too?

No, sorry, that's brilliant for that, I meant keeping blight out. :D

Teen76

• Experienced Member
    • Tina's Plot
Tomato Blight Prevention
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2008, 21:20 »
Oh ok, thanks.  I had thought of some kind of plastic fencing type thing to go around my tomato plants.

I have to say being new to an allotment plot and growing veg, I feel quite a bit intimidated when going to my plot.  Especially as all I've got there is potatoes, onions and tomatoes, oh and lots of bindweed.  Everyone else seems to be so on the ball and have everything I've failed to get germinated.

It's hard being a newbie.  I'm trying not to be too discouraged, but I do feel that way at the moment.  One thing I am starting to realise is to sow lots of seeds rather than just a few because they simply don't seem to germinate.

I learn hopefully from my mistakes each year.  Thanks for your encouragement and help by the way.

Porffor

Tomato Blight Prevention
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2008, 21:40 »
you're not the only one.. i planted my first 'batch' of tom's and they are all little weedy things i'm hoping will grow at some stage! lol

I should've known better but was keen to see them out there!  :roll:

I don't have a greenhouse at hte moment (one day ;) ).

Teen76

• Experienced Member
    • Tina's Plot
Tomato Blight Prevention
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2008, 21:43 »
Mine had started flowering and the lower leaves were going yellow so I thought I must act now and plant them or lose them.  I thought I might get away with covering them with fleece should it get cold.  Fingers crossed.

My cabbages and sprouts wilted quite dramatically in the unexpected heat of early May and don't seem to grow very fast.  I still have them but they are slow in growing enough for me to transplant them out.  I'm wondering if this is normal or perhaps I germinated them too late, or they were affected by the heat.  So much to learn so little time!  Its actually quite scary being a newbie!

gobs

Tomato Blight Prevention
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2008, 21:48 »
Oh, not at all, I'm sure all have their troubles and struggles of the season.

One raised bed of seedlings I had run all over and dug up by something, there's me early carrots and root parsley a bit sorted. Forgot to cover them. :oops:  :lol:

Forever forgot about my holly basil seedlings that I was meant to re-pot, never got there so one frosty night half gone in the potting shed.

Any rate, nobody would know much about any trouble unless they've had it. :wink:  :lol:

Teen76

• Experienced Member
    • Tina's Plot
Tomato Blight Prevention
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2008, 22:03 »
Thanks Gobs you encourage me to keep going.  I did have a little encouragement today when I spoted a parsnip had finally germinated and the only reason I know this is cause it still had a seed attached to it ha ha.

What kind of name is Gobs anyway!?  Doesn't sound flattering for such a kind person to listen to my allotment probs ha ha

pushrod

Tomato Blight Prevention
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2008, 23:55 »
There are some types that are supposed to have some blight resistance , Ferline is one i believe, but tbh i think you are probs best to go with the flow and grow what grows best and avoid what doesn't. I have given up putting toms in the garden (because of blight) and now just grow them just in the greenhouse. If you are desperate to grow them you could investigate these cheap mini plastic greenhouses. I've seen them in my local wilkinson's - don't know how robust they are but they might isolate the plants from fungal spores.
All these moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.

xx
Blight Prevention

Started by Tom Hill on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post April 13, 2013, 22:22
by DD.
xx
Help - we have potato blight and tomato blight

Started by jlb664 on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post May 09, 2010, 08:26
by Kristen
xx
tomato blight again

Started by jd67stella on Grow Your Own

21 Replies
Last post September 02, 2011, 16:06
by Mr Rotavator
xx
Tomato blight?

Started by littlelisa on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post August 21, 2008, 12:34
by diggerjoe

Page created in 0.998 seconds with 36 queries.