What's happened to my garlic?

• 6 Replies

strangerachael

• Weedybeanz
What's happened to my garlic?
« on: June 08, 2015, 09:58 »
I had a close look at my garlic yesterday and noticed most of the growing tips have gone yellow and dry and seem to be covered in/stuck together with greenish-yellow grainy powdery stuff. I have never seen this before. If I cut out the affected parts will it stop the bulbs developing? I had a little furtle and the bulbs are swelling but obviously will need another month or so in the ground. Any suggestions?
Rachael

BabbyAnn

Re: What's happened to my garlic?
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2015, 13:01 »
maybe a photo could help as I can't imagine what you mean.  It wouldn't be downy mildew would it?

strangerachael

• Weedybeanz
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2015, 18:39 »
Well I've just been down for another look - sorry I didn't take a photo - but on closer inspection I discovered quite a few maggoty little grubs down inside/wrapped up in the leaves, so I think the grainy stuff must be their droppings. I have picked out as many maggots as I could find (they burrow quite deeply down inside the 'inner tube'), and then sprayed down the middle of the growing tip with soapy water - I guess I will have to keep checking and repeating as necessary.

One of my neighbours was there and he checked his garlic and found the same thing had happened to his. There is some on the onions as well, to a lesser extent.

Maybe it's one of these alium leaf miner/leek moth type pests? Although it doesn't look like what happens to my leeks every year, those grubs are brown whereas these are grey/white and a bit bigger.

Mum2mj

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2015, 21:48 »
Could they be earwig larvae? I had lots of earwigs in my garlic leaves last year - ewww  :wacko:

Flowertot

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2015, 22:23 »
Sounds like onion fly to me  :(. I have lost the last 3 year's onions, shallots and garlic to them and this year have had to resort to enviromesh in a last ditch attempt to avoid them

strangerachael

• Weedybeanz
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2015, 11:31 »
Sounds like onion fly to me  :(.

Oh dear, I think you're right. Just googled some pictures and it looks like what I've got. So I've probably lost the lot  :(  :(
I've got a load of leeks all ready to go in now too, I'll have to cover them with mesh.

Flowertot

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2015, 13:11 »
Sorry to hear that. It's heartbreaking to lose them  :( If you look carefully at each one you may find some which are ok  to eat now as "wet garlic" but I wouldn't leave them in the ground.

xx
Help - its happened!

Started by allotless on Grow Your Own

29 Replies
Last post April 05, 2009, 03:25
by JulesJ
xx
OOPPS What happened here?

Started by harding24 on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post April 11, 2011, 12:08
by Kathie
xx
What happened to all the slugs?

Started by Nobbie on Grow Your Own

34 Replies
Last post June 20, 2016, 15:09
by spottymint
xx
What happened to my potatoes?

Started by violet on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post June 08, 2008, 21:03
by matron

Page created in 0.991 seconds with 30 queries.