Help - its happened!

• 29 Replies

allotless

Help - its happened!
« on: April 02, 2009, 20:41 »
Dear revered allotmenteers
speaking as beginner gardener (but keen) and also the (proud?) holder of a full-time job that involves commuting to London I had long dreamed of having an allotment of my own to grow fruit and veg. Well I got married last year and moved to a new town (Horsham) and as expected found that my local allotments had long waiting lists. Undettered I put my name down and shockingly one year later I am at the top of the list and a plot is available, eek! now i find myself wondering if a lily-livered office worker will be able to find enough time and develop enough expertise to stop the horny-handed regulars from inserting him head first into the nearest compost heap!
So is it encouragement or a warning off that I should receive from you goodly folk? I know this question is like asking how much twine do I need to tie my tomatoes, but realistically how much time will I need a week to keep on top of allotment jobs? Are there any tips you can give for free? what to grow that is suitably low-maintenance? I was thinking some fruit perhaps, too ambitious perhaps?
Anyway thats me an uncertain 40-odd year old wondering if the good ship allotless should weigh anchor and embark upon its maiden voyage into the deep and uncharted waters of the Chesworth Allotments.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2009, 20:43 by allotless »

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Help - its happened!
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2009, 21:08 »
Go for it mate. Just don't expect to get everything right the first year (or two) :lol:
As for how much time ??? how long's a bit of string :lol:
Depends what you grow, how hot it gets (watering in a hot year can take a long while) how weedy your plot is :wacko: the list goes on.
Just try and see what you CAN achieve rather than worry about it :D

Good luck (and welcome to the madhouse)

peapod

• Pea Goddess
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2009, 21:51 »
Im moving this to GYO alotless  :D

Im sure you'll get a plethora of different answers,but heres mine FWIW  :D
I got mine in June last year and its nearly finished in terms of setting it up exactly how I want it (hard landscaping etc) Once its finally done I expect to spend about a weekend afternoon and an evening there doing jobs that need doing (weeding, watering etc. ) . All other time will be spent nattering  :D
"I think the carrot infinitely more fascinating than the geranium. The carrot has mystery. Flowers are essentially tarts. Prostitutes for the bees. There is, you'll agree, a certain je ne sais quoi oh so very special about a firm young carrot" Withnail and I

poultrygeist

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2009, 22:00 »
Hi Alotless and welcome  :)

I would allow approximately 25 hours/day to worry about it and probably an hour a day to lean on a spade discussing chitting. :)

We have no allotment but have a back garden that serves our needs. I bet within a couple of months you'll be changing to alotmore.

ROb 8)

Trillium

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2009, 22:07 »
Welcome allotless; you'll find loads of good advice here. I highly recommend owner John's first book, Growing Veg which you can order direct from this site. It's affordable, to the point, covers almost every point and small enough to take to the allotment with you or simply read (at work ;)).

matron

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2009, 22:11 »
Go for it allotless. For this year you could always cover half of it and just concentrate on the other half. I'm with Poultrygeist on the time although I think 26 hours a day worrying about it and maybe an hour and half to discuss chitting  :D :D :D
PS Don't forget the gas stove, kettle and tea bags to pass a bit more time.  :nowink:

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2009, 22:15 »
Hi Alotless from an ex london commuter!!!  Best place to read that book is on the train to work!!!

The most maintenance free allotment is one full of weeds, but I don't recommend it!! lol  But as you want to sae as much time as possible, mulching whatver veggies you can will help keep weeds down a bit.  Things like brassicas, all your cabbages etc can be grown through weed suppresant or even cardboard.  I did that one year.  Very large cardboard box flattened out, weighed down with bricks and crosses cut in it, then plant your cabbage plants in the cross.  By the time you've harvested your cabbages, the cardboard has started to rot down and you can put it on your compost heap.

You will get loads of ideas from people on here.  Have fun!!!!

SnooziSuzi

• Facebook
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2009, 22:24 »
Welcome Allotless!  I don't think you'll find anyone on here who says don't go for it!

Me personally,  I work 35 hours a week, with an extra 10 hours a week travel time, I have a young family and I also run the allotment association - it's amazing what you can find the time to do when your heart is in it   :happy:

Good luck with the allotment; please make a go of it - there's so many folks who want an allotment and won't get the chance for years and years but you are on the cusp of something amazing!

If you work in the city and have a chaotic lifestyle then an allotment is deffo the way to go, just kiss the wife and kids goodbye 'cos they won't see you most evenings!

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2009, 23:17 »
Hy husband has commuted to London (2 hours at least each way) for 38 years and we have had an allotment of at least 10 of those.

WHO DARES WINS  :lol:

woodburner

« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2009, 00:09 »
Welcome to the forums. :)
There was a chap on telly quite a while back now, that ran a plot with just half an hour a day. He was religious about attending every day, rain or shine and he had some kind of system of planning what to do the night before or something.
As for ways to cut down on work, Bob Flowerdew has lots of excellent advice. (I have his book The No Work Garden). HTH :)
I demand the right to buy seed of varieties that are not "distinct, uniform and stable".

Gwiz

« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2009, 05:48 »
Welcome, Allotless.
As has already been said, you'll find heaps of advice on here. As for your allotment, never underestimate the power of a good hoe!
I spend a about three hours up my allotment on a Sunday afternoon, and an hour or so on a wednesday evening in the summer. So far, that seems to do the trick. :)

celjaci

• Experienced Member
  • celjaci = Bosnian peasant!
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2009, 06:15 »
Congrats Allotless  - only 1 year waiting is good going these days.

It's not the best time of the year to be starting if the ground needs lots of preparation.
To avoid the weeds taking over think about covering part of the plot with heavy duty, weed supressing membrane ( the black, woven one ) this will kill off even the worse perennial weeds  and keep the area tidy til you are ready to deal with it.
You could even plant squash through the membrane - once planted ( end of May ) you do nothing to them til harvest in Oct

You mentioned fruit   It can be very worthwhile - minimal inputs and high value outputs. But do take time to prepare the site before planting - fruit could be there a long time.

Good luck & keep us posted
Playing all the right notes but not necessarily in the right order!

South Downs Wayer

« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2009, 07:10 »
hi alotlessi live in a small village in Glorious Goodwood, and have a 2hr commute to london everyday and also jog at least 3 miles most days. Just manage your time, there is no better way to relax. in fact going ou for a jog now, with dog, so that's his walk done. good luck and enjoy!
Roy

Carol

« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2009, 07:44 »
Congratulations!
You'l love it.  Like Matron says, just cover up the bits you can't work on immediately and take things at your own pace.
Carol - aiming for organicness.

senrab_nhoj

• Experienced Member
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2009, 08:40 »
Dear revered allotmenteers
speaking as beginner gardener (but keen) and also the (proud?) holder of a full-time job that involves commuting to London I had long dreamed of having an allotment of my own to grow fruit and veg. Well I got married last year and moved to a new town (Horsham) and as expected found that my local allotments had long waiting lists. Undettered I put my name down and shockingly one year later I am at the top of the list and a plot is available, eek! now i find myself wondering if a lily-livered office worker will be able to find enough time and develop enough expertise to stop the horny-handed regulars from inserting him head first into the nearest compost heap!
So is it encouragement or a warning off that I should receive from you goodly folk? I know this question is like asking how much twine do I need to tie my tomatoes, but realistically how much time will I need a week to keep on top of allotment jobs? Are there any tips you can give for free? what to grow that is suitably low-maintenance? I was thinking some fruit perhaps, too ambitious perhaps?
Anyway thats me an uncertain 40-odd year old wondering if the good ship allotless should weigh anchor and embark upon its maiden voyage into the deep and uncharted waters of the Chesworth Allotments.

I did the same last year..... first venture into the world of allotments...

With little knowledge but a lot of hard work and good advice I went from a completely overgrown plot to something that is producing veg all year round in my first year.

I work in London, commute every day.  The only trouble is my partner is convinced I have another woman she calls 'Ally'

;)
Grandpa's lore: The only thing grown early is disappointment

xx
What happened to my potatoes?

Started by violet on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post June 08, 2008, 21:03
by matron
xx
What happened to blight?

Started by viettaclark on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post September 22, 2013, 20:25
by bonfire
xx
Help! What's happened to my squash?

Started by rainbow1 on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post August 24, 2010, 22:14
by rainbow1
xx
What's happened to my Rhubarb?

Started by Sharonx on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post December 13, 2008, 14:06
by mikem

Page created in 0.912 seconds with 38 queries.