planting plans for next year

• 30 Replies

Mbmyco2

planting plans for next year
« on: October 24, 2013, 18:47 »
So i have lots of seeds and already got garlic and leeks and some onions in, I am looking for a good simple planner to use for everything else anyone got anything they can recommend or an electronic version i could copy

thanks

Mbmyco2
Full on Gardening Geek!!!

pigguns

• Mitcham, South London
Re: planting plans for next year
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2013, 20:29 »
.. :blink: I'm more of a 'old Air Canada business diary and colour pencils' type of girl, even though I got an 'A' in my TD O'level  :tongue2: maybe someone young and tech-savvy will come along. 

I really enjoy creating an artwork of what I'm going to do bit by bit  :wub:  I'm on about draft #8 already  :lol: 

gavinjconway

• My Allotment Progress Website
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2013, 21:17 »
I have one called A4P made by MeezeOzie - very eeze to use.

A4 sheet of paper (maybe a few sheets) and a pencil and rubber..
Now a member of the 10 Ton club.... 2013  harvested 588 Kg from 165 sq mt..

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2013, 21:28 »
It's what the back of envelopes were made for!
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

gavinjconway

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2013, 21:41 »
or packets of 30 cigarettes in the old days.. made a lovely note pad...

fatbelly

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2013, 22:06 »
or packets of 30 cigarettes in the old days.. made a lovely note pad...
I'm no spring chicken but I cant remember packs of 30. I can remember my Mum sending me to the Newsagent for a pack of 5 cigs I was aged about 9 at the time but always got served, no one thought anything about it. She would always send me for a pack of 5 on the Thursday because payday was Friday and she had no money.

Those were the days.

Sorry I've digressed
99% Organic and 1% Slug Pellets.

Allotment holder since 27th May 2007.

gavinjconway

« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2013, 22:49 »
Sorry to digress again... Packs of 30 maybe were in Rhodesia and not here.. I'm born and bred Rhodesian and every garage owner engineer type of person had all his sketches about a car modification or machine he was building on the back of the 30's pack ...

Auntiemogs

« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2013, 00:40 »
I use Growveg as I'm hopeless at writing things down.   ::)

It costs about £15 a year but I can create follow on plans for the next year, and it helps with rotation and gives me an idea of how much seed/bulbs I need.

They do a free trial.  http://www.growveg.com/

Mags  :)

Btw, I have no interests in this company, just use the sw.  ;)
I would rather live in a world
where my life is surrounded by mystery
than live in a world so small that my mind could comprehend it...✿~ Harry Emerson Fosdick

Flowertot

« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2013, 01:45 »
I also use Growveg and find it helpful for planning and crop rotation (it is very visual - colours and pictures  :)) but I must admit I also have a rough pencil and paper plan as backup because I have been known accidentally to delete a plan or two from Growveg ::)

Auntiemogs

« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2013, 02:01 »
I also use Growveg and find it helpful for planning and crop rotation (it is very visual - colours and pictures  :)) but I must admit I also have a rough pencil and paper plan as backup because I have been known accidentally to delete a plan or two from Growveg ::)
Yup, I have a diary 'just in case'.  ::) :D

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2013, 11:29 »
This question usually elicits lots of "pencil and paper is all you need responses", so I take the view that there are two camps on this.

The software I have seen online, like GrowVeg, takes quite a lot of time to set up and focuses on plant spacing and laying out your veg patch like an ornamental border.

People who have been doing it for years know that they need a dozen Sprouts plants and the like ... and for them I doubt that a 3D design plan of plantings is required.

I think the most important thing is to keep records of Planned and Actual dates for sowing, Dates Planted (if relevant), First and Last harvest, and Qty of plants. Plus a Notes column for "Too few" / "Too many" / "Family liked/hated". That will then help with planning in future years, in particular knowing when a crop finishes such that another crop can be scheduled to follow it.  If you sow and plant (rather than sow direct) then you can be raising plants in advance of the plot being free - but you need the historical record to tell you when that will be! - sow-and-plant typically gives you a 6 week buffer.

I think for Newbies software that has some knowledge of the times for sowing of crops, and also how long they are likely to be in the ground, is a great boon in planning. It is also likely to alert to crops planted in the wrong place for crop rotation, and what soil treatments to consider, and so on.  "hand-holding" mode

All of which the folk who have been doing it for year already know and for them Pencil and Paper is easy because they will have few/no changes of mind and thus few/no rubbings out - which is where software gains hugely allowing multiple versions to be tried / kept / compared, and things to be rearranged, or tried in different ways, much more effortlessly than pencil and rubber.

I am now at the stage, after half a dozen years of growing veg here, of just doing it to the same plan / pattern (pretty much ...) as previous years, so I just have a list, organised by 1st and 15th of the Month for my approx dates, of what to sow and when.

Regardless of planning, weather will mean that things need to be changes, are earlier / later than expected ... so my personal view is that these visual planting planners are more faff than they are worth.  Just knowing that you want a dozen Sprouts plants or to sow a row XXX yards long, and that you need to sow them approximately on XXX date is sufficient.  What you do need to know, first time around, is how much space all those plant choices, collectively, will take up.  Sprouts, in particular, need a lot of space per plant, and it may well be that, for the newbie, a visual design tool solves that question for them. No sense buying seeds, and planning, for a huge harvest if you don't have the space to grow all those plants :)

What I have not seen on the forums is people saying that they find GrowVeg, or the like, useful year after year. No doubt some will now tell me that they do?!!

I have heard of this alternative planner, which I believe is free.  No idea if it good/bad/indifferent, or suitable for UK even
http://www.mountainplain.com/mykitchengarden/My_Kitchen_Garden.html

Aled

« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2013, 11:35 »
Like others an 2012 diary which had nothing else written in it...
Cheers
Aled

Mbmyco2

« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2013, 11:37 »
come on people Focus please and thank you
LOL

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2013, 12:32 »
I think that if you rely on an online site to do the planning rotation etc - then you won't learn the basics.

I use Excel for plot plans that are easily altered, but I think you need to work out rotations, planting distances and how many to plant for yourself.
Use distances given on seed packets for distances and there's advice from the RHS on a simple 3 year rotation, here
http://apps.rhs.org.uk/advicesearch/profile.aspx?pid=124

Get planning now, and you might have it right by Spring  ;)..............I'm forever changing mine during the dark winter evenings - it gives me something to do  :lol:

surbie100

• Winner Prettiest Pumpkin - 2014
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2013, 13:07 »
One tip: try to factor in some successional sowing and think hard about how much you can eat/preserve if it's all ready at about the same time. I sowed 80 beetroot and about 50 of them went in the bin because I couldn't process them fast enough and none of my friends wanted them. Bit of a waste. And then a couple of months later we were completely out of beets. A bit more thought on my part would have meant sowing every 3 weeks-ish.

I don't use a planner other than excel though - I find I change my mind too often.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2013, 13:08 by surbie100 »

xx
Plans for next year

Started by Shelle on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post September 20, 2007, 19:44
by mkhenry
xx
What are your plans for next year?

Started by FCG on Grow Your Own

35 Replies
Last post September 26, 2008, 06:29
by matron
xx
New plans for the new year coming

Started by Gareth J on Grow Your Own

30 Replies
Last post December 27, 2011, 18:31
by gobs
xx
Problem with my potato plans for next year - any suggestions?

Started by Paul Canning on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post November 05, 2011, 10:22
by mumofstig

Page created in 0.312 seconds with 30 queries.