What are your plans for next year?

• 35 Replies

sumo

« Reply #30 on: September 24, 2008, 12:00 »
This year:
Not enough potatoes, but not enough room anyway. Had Arran Pilot which were fine.
Broad beans were rather pathetic
Tomatoes (given by a friend, no idea which variety) ouside, no greenhouse, so were predictably small and still green!
Leeks doing well, if I can keep the lurcher off them
Pumpkin (forgotten variety) still ok, turning orange and heading for Oct 31st.
Brussels sprouts are growing well, but most leaves decimated by the dreaded cabbage white caterpillars. Tried giving caterpillars to friend`s hens but they wont touch them.
Compost heap doing ok, lots of lovely worms and not-so-lovely slugs
Gooseberries, crab apples, blackberries very good.
Snowball turnips did well, but planted too many and lots will be recycled into compost.

Next year:
Plan better, don`t be so ambitious, weed more often, grow another pumpkin!

titch

« Reply #31 on: September 24, 2008, 12:44 »
we only started in may so many things bought as plants but ......
Sucess - chili's - not quite ready but hot as hell, sweet peppers still coming along - runner beans gone nuts, in their element at the moment, sweetcorn, but not nearly enough, spuds in a pot were ok, carrots in tub were also ok, parnsips still ok and coming along, 2nd carrots slmost ready, leeks and onions still doing ok (planted late as an experiment)
failures - brassicas, despite using the mushed up caterpillar thing  :puker: suggested still lost them all in the end, i regularly squashed the caterpillars but they were so many in number and what i had saved got nobbled in two days while we went away :cry: - have now splashed out on mesh for next year :lol:
peas never got started - sluggies got em,spuds in beds - got black leg, tomatoes all blighted. :cry:

for next year - check seeds for planting times, beef up the soil in the beds, sucesional planting (if my brassicas had survived we would have had 15 of each all at the same time :shock:  :lol:
this will be our first full year of growing next year so am very excited about it all
just keep breathing................

bb_odiham

« Reply #32 on: September 24, 2008, 19:13 »
This year was only my second ever at growing my own. I made a ton of mistakes, but it was a lot better than the first year.
I got a reasonable crop of potatoes and tons of courgettes.
My raddish just didn't produce decent radishes and then got munched by caterpillars. My peppers didn't grow at all. I left the toms too late and didn't give them the right soil conditions, so they are only now producing small tomatoes (too late iow)

Next year - well, in fact, starting this year, I'm going to double dig my entire patch and extend it into an area that's currently weed ridden. I'll be getting some organic manure and will work it into the soil over winter and generally follow the guides found here for each month.

I'm going to stick to the classic vege and learn how to grow them better. I want to double the area for spuds, because we love them so much. I'll be getting the toms going as seedlings indoors from late March. I'll definately do more courgettes and will try my hand at onions.

Above all, I'm going to learn more about organic pest control - all my vege got a hammering from insects, snails and slugs this year.

Bottom line, I'm going to grow what I cook - tomatoes, courgettes, onions and spuds.

I may also extend my herb production (currently got rosemary, thyme, mint, basil and flat leaf parsley)
Jack of all trades, master of none.

sclarke624

« Reply #33 on: September 25, 2008, 01:34 »
This is my second year and am pleased with the crops:

Successes
Charlotte potatoes - did really well.  Big yield.
Lady Christyl potatoes - ok but not a big yield.
Self blanching celery - did really really well.
Cucumbers did well - Burpless tasty.
Tomatoes, - Gardeners delight 9 plants.  They all did great and tasted fantastic......... 22lbs so far from 14 plants all together.  Probably another 2 - 3lb to come.  Also two sub artic and three money maker.
Some radish did well some got decimated by small cabbage white caterpillar.
Salad leaves fantastic.  Grew salad bowl and mixed pack of salad leaves, and italian lettuce, little gem and chartwell rom/cos lettuce.
Cape gooseberrys did and still doing really well.  The big ones are second year plants so last year not ripe in time for winter, this year early start so loads of ripe ones.  First year small capes half successfull most still green.
Strawberries 'elsanta' - these were ace this year, which was there second year, and have loads of baby strawberry plants.
Leeks seem to be doing ok.

Not so good
Carrots too small and too twisted.  Didn't know shouldn't transplant so maybe next year straight in soil.
Calabrese those damn small cabbage white caterpillars got to them again and I netted too late.  Also they take up a hell of a lot of room.
Spring onions white lisbon and eiffel.  The first year I did these they were great this year very poor.
Kohl rabi did very well shame neither of us can stomach the taste or smell.
Bulb Fennell went to seed.
Sweet peppers trouble germinating so when finally got some that did was a bit late.  I do have 6 small peppers on two plants though.  The third plant that flowered earlier got snapped.  Sod's law.
Beetroot grew ok, smallish though.  Thing is they take so long to cook never get round to picking them in time for dinner and the last two I left in the fridge waiting to be cooked went soft after a week.

HerbsBasil and lemon basil indoors good.
Dill tastes lovely indoors, but didn't grow too well.  Greenfly pest.
Chervill tastes really nice grown indoors, didn't grow well and greenfly a pest.

Next year
Toms won't bother with sub artic tasteless and too much flesh.
Potatoes defo Charlotte. and a first early of some sort.
Carrots won't give up on and won't transplant next year.
Spring onions will start earlier see if make a difference.  Have actually started some winter white Lisbon a month ago.
Rom/cos lettuce will carry on as this year and cut leaves as needed rather than wait for whole lettuce and cut whole head.  Leaf by Leaf or baby leaf if you like seems to be a better option than waiting for maturity.
Sheila
unowho
Guess I'm organic until I ever need to inorganic

home made pie

• Experienced Member
« Reply #34 on: September 25, 2008, 09:06 »
tomatoes  :D
chillies  :D
peppers  :D
melons  :oops: (I'm an optomist)
cauliflower  :(
potatoes   :D  but planting twice as much next year
dwarf beans  :D
sweetcorn  :(
cabbage  :lol:  only rescued two
onions  :?  look like a spring onion that's been to weightwatchers
raddish  :roll:  too many...again
peas  :D
parsnip  :?:
salad & herbs  :D
slugs  :evil:
other pests & disease  :o  been lucky
weeds  :rambo:

matron

« Reply #35 on: September 26, 2008, 06:29 »
Can I just say I have had to read this thread over two days.  :shock:

We have done well with most of our things this year eventually as it was a slow start.
Lettuce - I have succeeded with succsessional sowing.
Tomatoes - better than last year but could still be better.
Cucumbers - good.
Sweet peppers - good.
Chillies - good for first attempt
Radish - OK
Spring onions - good
Onions - excellent
Shallots - Excellent
Runner beans - don't want to see another one!
French beans - very good, will do a few more next year
Peas - excellent
Leeks - doing well
Cabbage - will be OK but are a little holey
Beetroot - good
Courgette - no more please
Strawberries - excellent
Potatoes - Good but will do fewer new and more late next year.

A better year than last year but still struggling to keep on top of weeds. Let's hope next year will be better again.

xx
Plans for next year

Started by Shelle on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post September 20, 2007, 19:44
by mkhenry
xx
planting plans for next year

Started by Mbmyco2 on Grow Your Own

30 Replies
Last post October 30, 2013, 20:48
by fibilou
xx
New plans for the new year coming

Started by Gareth J on Grow Your Own

30 Replies
Last post December 27, 2011, 18:31
by gobs
xx
Indifferent success rate:plans for next year....

Started by scott40k on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post October 27, 2010, 17:15
by bigben

Page created in 0.371 seconds with 36 queries.