New plans for the new year coming

• 30 Replies

Gareth J

New plans for the new year coming
« on: December 23, 2011, 20:33 »
After a disasterous year (weather, not enough time available etc.) I have decided to be more organised next year, you know, plant things when they should be planted and HAVE A PLAN  :dry:

So I have planned out my plot, its all dug (twice to get rid of as many marestail roots as I could spot) and my plan allows me to know what I should plant when I get a day off  :D :D
I would appreciate the benefit of the wisdom (or experience or both or just good advice) that is kindly given here.

hopefully if this intoe tekno thingy works then my plan should be below, if not then be amazed at the blank space below  :D all comments are greatfully received

whoops that was Tracies facebook page   :blush:

http://gardenplanner.suttons.co.uk/garden-plan.aspx?p=202900
« Last Edit: December 23, 2011, 21:03 by Gareth J »
I have never been lost...................
But I will admit to being confused for several weeks

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Re: New plans for the new year coming
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2011, 20:34 »
Nice link to novelty cakes!
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Gareth J

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2011, 20:38 »
Sorry  :ohmy:  :ohmy:  :ohmy: I wasnt touting for trade. how do I get the plan to appear instead of a link?

gobs

« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2011, 21:32 »
Is it to scale? For you cannot possibly need that many corgettes, spring onions and beans. :tongue2:
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

Gareth J

« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2011, 23:03 »
according to the sutton website its all to scale and it also calculates space needed for each plant. I was not nessesarily going to plant the quantities shown but I was just trying to get an overall plan together.

gobs

« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2011, 23:24 »
I'm quite in line with their quantities on several plants. It all depends on how much you like/use of any one. I do about 12 of a lot of crops, brassica all sorts and celeriac. And about 40 corn.

57 new potatoes I find a LOT. Whatever many Calabrese, whatever they mean, 2 sprouting plants give oodles of a crop. Similarly, who wants more than one or two courgettes, must be sick. Or having a strange hobby.

Gareth J

« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2011, 23:28 »
I wanted to arrange the allotment in the way my grandfather did, he planted in the victorian fashion with neat straight rows and never a space in the ground. never any weeds either, I dont know how he did it because I never saw him weed like I have to. He just used to bend down occasionally and pick out the tiniest root and then survey his plot with a very satisfied smile. does anyone have any advice on victorian planting?

gobs

« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2011, 23:50 »
The Victorian kitchen garden is more like squarish beds, in a walled garden surround, if I'm not mistaken.

But you can still do rows.  ;)

Willie_Eckerslike

« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2011, 00:20 »

Helpful would be nice, instead of sarcasm.

Just trying to help...................

gobs

« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2011, 00:25 »
Have you no sense of humour? :)

It must be hard to garden without. :D

Paul Plots

« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2011, 00:27 »
I wanted to arrange the allotment in the way my grandfather did, he planted in the victorian fashion with neat straight rows and never a space in the ground. never any weeds either, I dont know how he did it because I never saw him weed like I have to. He just used to bend down occasionally and pick out the tiniest root and then survey his plot with a very satisfied smile. does anyone have any advice on victorian planting?

I love your rows... I find my plot easier to weed, water and organise using rows. Victorian? It maybe. Perhaps in Victorian times when more of the ordinary folk grew their own veg it made better use of the ground?

Victorian Walled gardens (for the posh lot) may well have been organised differently with particular annual beds for specific crops. I'm not hugely organised but have just a roungh plan in mind which avoids the same crops in the same spaces two (sometimes three) years running.

As for potatoes - I grow tons! An easy and worthwhile crop that usually stores very well and keeps us going for months.

Last year I filled in with square beds and rectangular strips but back to rows this coming year as I feel it really is easier. ;)
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

Nikkithefoot

« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2011, 09:40 »
I tend to plant in rows, but with little room between them. This does two things, close growing plants help suppress weeds, less ground (in my personal opinion) gets trodden down. I crop heavily BUT my ground is very well fed with loads of manure and I rotate my crops so as not to deplete the ground of nutrients.

With things being so close together it is harder to plan, small plants being shaded by taller ones etc, increased risk of diseases spreading across the plot etc. but I find it works.
I was put on this earth to accomplish a certain number of things; right now I am so far behind I will never die.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2011, 09:47 »

That was helpful in that I said the link was wrong in a gentle sort of way, without putting it bluntly. I'd hardly call it sarcasm.

Now, as gobs says, get a sense of humour!

Willie_Eckerslike

« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2011, 18:47 »

That was helpful in that I said the link was wrong in a gentle sort of way, without putting it bluntly. I'd hardly call it sarcasm.

Now, as gobs says, get a sense of humour!

OK so the link has been changed.  :blush:

'Pologies..............  :blink:  ;)

gobs

« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2011, 22:22 »

I love your rows... I find my plot easier to weed, water and organise using rows. Victorian? It maybe. Perhaps in Victorian times when more of the ordinary folk grew their own veg it made better use of the ground?

Victorian Walled gardens (for the posh lot) may well have been organised differently with particular annual beds for specific crops. I'm not hugely organised but have just a roungh plan in mind which avoids the same crops in the same spaces two (sometimes three) years running.

As for potatoes - I grow tons! An easy and worthwhile crop that usually stores very well and keeps us going for months.

Last year I filled in with square beds and rectangular strips but back to rows this coming year as I feel it really is easier. ;)

Everybody forms and shapes their garden to their liking in the end. All these are just guides to start you off.

I took on an overgrown plot 4 years ago, a guy this summer said: It looking like your plot now.

xx
Plans for next year

Started by Shelle on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post September 20, 2007, 19:44
by mkhenry
xx
What are your plans for next year?

Started by FCG on Grow Your Own

35 Replies
Last post September 26, 2008, 06:29
by matron
xx
planting plans for next year

Started by Mbmyco2 on Grow Your Own

30 Replies
Last post October 30, 2013, 20:48
by fibilou
xx
Indifferent success rate:plans for next year....

Started by scott40k on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post October 27, 2010, 17:15
by bigben

Page created in 1.254 seconds with 28 queries.