planting plans for next year

• 30 Replies

allotmentor

• Allotmentor
Re: planting plans for next year
« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2013, 13:55 »
Although I'm obviously a fan of online planning tools ;) , I do have a lot of time for the Dig For Victory WWII planner here:

http://www.earthlypursuits.com/AllotGuide/DigforVictory1/DigForVictory1_1.htm
Creator of the free Allotmentor veg garden/plot planner

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2013, 14:19 »
I use Excel too, not because I like to do a lot of complicated calculations about yields and fertilisers, but because if you resize the cells into squares you can use it to draw a 2D scale model of your plot.

"Text boxes" represent where the crops are to go, and notes are written inside them, as well as below the plan.

At the end of the year I just copy the previous year's plan and then move all the boxes around, resizing if necessary of course.

All the previous year's plans and notes are always still to hand, and best of all no erasers are required (I'm a hopeless "artist"!)  ;)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Steveharford

« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2013, 14:20 »
As I draw up plans etc for planning application from time to time I am fortunate in having a copy , and being able to use, Autocad.
This is particularly useful for me as I am always changing the shape of my patch, adding on extra bits here and there at the expense of the lawn and odd corners of flower beds etc.     its simple enough to save a plan for each year passed and to then modify and save to subsequent years to help rotation. There are cheaper and easier to use versions available such as Autosketch which is very good. Maybe even some freeware out there somewhere.

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2013, 15:54 »
Maybe even some freeware out there somewhere.
I think Google Sketch might fit the bill and is, I think?, still free.

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #19 on: October 25, 2013, 15:57 »
I use Excel too, not because I like to do a lot of complicated calculations about yields and fertilisers, but because if you resize the cells into squares you can use it to draw a 2D scale model of your plot.

Snap! I have raised beds, all 4' wide, so "width" doesn't have to be scale for me (although rows could be sized to be approximately scaled in Excel), so I just use columns as a reasonable indicator of scale / row length, and identify the planting blocks (using the "cell merge" tool to join multiple cells into a single block).

I move the raised beds "around" in accordance with my crop rotation to create next year's plan :)

Here's what mine looks like (click to toggle full size version)
« Last Edit: October 25, 2013, 15:58 by Kristen »

Mbmyco2

« Reply #20 on: October 26, 2013, 19:11 »
Steve Harford  i have autocad and would be interested to see how you do it
Full on Gardening Geek!!!

Kate and her Ducks

« Reply #21 on: October 26, 2013, 20:47 »
Have to say I'm a bit of a sucker for marketing and I have one of the Moleskine garden planners. There are bits of it which are great. Love the planning bits and the diary bit. Will never use the Visits section but sure I will scribble something else in there 8) Have found it useful as means as I can look at what I have done previously and as I', also not very good at labelling stuff useful that I tend to write it in there.

I have also got the recipe one which is great for all the recipes I modify or make up or take from the web and can then never remember where I got that thing I love from.
Be like a duck. Calm on the surface but always paddling like the dickens underneath.

blackberryjam

« Reply #22 on: October 26, 2013, 22:47 »
Although I'm obviously a fan of online planning tools ;) , I do have a lot of time for the Dig For Victory WWII planner here:

http://www.earthlypursuits.com/AllotGuide/DigforVictory1/DigForVictory1_1.htm

I use a note book for the greenhouse and a wipe on and off board for the beds, attached to the back of my shed door.  just downloaded the dig for victory planner, very useful. :)

Anton

« Reply #23 on: October 27, 2013, 18:32 »
Still off-topic but there used to be a shop (sweet shop I think it was) that sold cigarettes in one's when I was youngster.

Anton

allotmentor

• Allotmentor
« Reply #24 on: October 27, 2013, 20:45 »
Still off-topic but there used to be a shop (sweet shop I think it was) that sold cigarettes in one's when I was youngster.

Anton

Me too, even though we were blatantly 12, with unbroken voices, in our school uniforms...10p each if I remember right!

cadalot

« Reply #25 on: October 28, 2013, 06:39 »
OK if you want Free AutoCAD like software look at NanoCAD http://nanocad.com/  or a much lighter version A9CAD http://download.cnet.com/A9CAD/3000-6677_4-10296835.html

I used AutoCAD as I use it for work. 
Allotment Plan Oct 2013.jpg

Aled

« Reply #26 on: October 28, 2013, 09:11 »
Impressed with some of the high tech stuff!
Cheers
Aled

J_B

• Experienced Member
  • Farmer J
« Reply #27 on: October 28, 2013, 16:00 »
i use excel....i divide it into 4 sections depending on my rotation plan and then put in what i want to grow under the specific plan...aliums, roots &  fruiters, brassicas and legumes, and an area for soft fruit.

so under the 4 sections i put down what i want to grow...then each year i can swap it around easily and use the previous year for refernece
successional planning is something i want to add this year - still not able to crack getting multiple stuff from teh same area, but getting better each year.
if u dont have excel u have an fre ealternative from google docs...
« Last Edit: October 28, 2013, 16:47 by mumofstig »

Mbmyco2

« Reply #28 on: October 29, 2013, 18:31 »
Ok so i've tried outlook calendar for reminders seems to work ok, just need to re input for 2014 with recurrence set to infinity, done an Autocad plan of the plot and now working on a Excel spread sheet with 52 columns so I can record what is in what bed and when.

think that covers it all will post some pdf's when completed

Think I am now officially a Gardening Geek!!!

NickoV

• Location: East coast of Lincolnshire, a mile from the sea, on a marsh, heavy clay.
    • Marshland Permaculture Interest Group
« Reply #29 on: October 30, 2013, 19:43 »
I drew out the garden beds on A4, penned them in , then photocopied a load. I write in what I plan to plant in each bed  in black, and then what I actually planted in red. ::)

I used to keep a garden diary but found it too hard to trace what happened with individual veg, so I moved onto having a file with each veg having its own sleeve. I write anything significant under each heading - sowing date, when it shows, first harvest, last harvest,. problems etc
These are just my opinions based on what I have read, the filters my brain uses as a product of my upbringing, and the experiences I have had growing food. I am not intending to convince anyone I am right, just supply my opinion when it is asked for. I am also open to changing my opinions! Nick

xx
Plans for next year

Started by Shelle on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post September 20, 2007, 19:44
by mkhenry
xx
What are your plans for next year?

Started by FCG on Grow Your Own

35 Replies
Last post September 26, 2008, 06:29
by matron
xx
New plans for the new year coming

Started by Gareth J on Grow Your Own

30 Replies
Last post December 27, 2011, 18:31
by gobs
xx
Problem with my potato plans for next year - any suggestions?

Started by Paul Canning on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post November 05, 2011, 10:22
by mumofstig

Page created in 0.429 seconds with 38 queries.