help

• 5 Replies

rich iow

help
« on: October 29, 2013, 18:47 »
hi all I got a allotment last week, but it got a bit of grass on it,  will it be ok to put a rotavator  on it or should I dig  as someone said that it not good to put a rotavator over it.   

ghost61

Re: help
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2013, 18:51 »
Dig it. A rotavator will just chop the roots up and the problem will be worse next year. I would get as much root out now, and cover over the winter with black plastic. Grass seems to be able to grow unless it's absolutely freezing! Some will still appear, especially if grass verges are next to your plot, but it should be easier to keep it under control.

Goosegirl

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2013, 12:27 »
Depends if it is just annual or perennial grass and if the grass has produced seed heads. Perennial grass like couch grass will need as much root digging up as possible before you cover - you may find any remaining roots will be nearer the surface next spring so should be easy to dig up again. Annual grass can be dug up but, if it has seeded, be prepared to hoe the seedlings off regularly or keep the area covered with either plastic or a good mulch.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

rich iow

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2013, 18:24 »
cheers all I am going to dig it ,  now hard work now hope it will pay off later

Totty

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2013, 18:49 »
If it's not couch grass, I would strim it tight back to the soil. So long as there are no perenial weeds either you can then rotorvate it.

If it is couch grass I'd get it sprayed ASAP, leave it a month, then strim and rotorvate.

Totty

pigguns

• Mitcham, South London
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2013, 19:00 »
cheers all I am going to dig it ,  now hard work now hope it will pay off later
I faced this back in April with a plot full of couch, best advice I had was the 3-go attack-
1. Rough dig and turn the clods
2. Go back a week later and pull out the root clumps (should remove easily)
3. Give it a last going over of final bits before sowing/planting.
Its been clear since I did that.   Good luck, it's not a race  ;)

Page created in 0.725 seconds with 36 queries.