Am I being paranoid?

• 15 Replies

bygrace

• Experienced Member
Am I being paranoid?
« on: February 06, 2012, 20:09 »
I've had 4 chooks for the first time since October, and lost one this week after trying to nurse her back to health indoors for a week (reason unknown), so am alert to anything amiss with the others.

Tonight, for the first time ever, they haven't gone in their coop for the night, but roosted on the shelf that's in their day run. I always line the base of the coop with newspaper which I renew every day, so it's not mucky (though the perches could perhaps do with a scrub). I've checked crevices etc and no sign of redmite.
Any ideas why they seem reluctant to go to bed? (Presumably it's nothing to do with the fact that I usually put the Telegraph down but today it's the Mail lol!)

It's much milder tonight than of late - could it be they've been cold in the coop and think it's warmer outside?

I crawled in the run on my hands and knees in the dark and picked each one up and put it in the coop.

Should I keep wondering why, or am I being over sensitive?

Thanks, BG
« Last Edit: February 07, 2012, 09:32 by bygrace »

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
Re: Am I being paranoid?
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2012, 21:00 »
Is there enough ventilation in the coop?  You seem to have checked everything else! 
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

bygrace

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2012, 09:31 »
Is there enough ventilation in the coop?  You seem to have checked everything else! 

Thanks ANHBUC - There's a mesh covered window at the top, about 4" x 6", and the doors aren't a close fit - so I'm wondering whether it's the other end of the spectrum and maybe drafty??

They seem OK this morning - let's see what tonight brings! I have some spare time tomorrow so may give everything a good old scrub out. Bad drying conditions so I might resort to the extension lead and the fan heater  :) Perhaps a liberal dusting of BioDri too!
BG

ANHBUC

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2012, 09:55 »
Mine have a sliding air vent which is permanently open and I don't close the pop hole on a night so yours should be alright.

I don't think that I would wet wash in this weather as if not completely dry you could end up with mould spores which would be very bad for your hens.  Use the BioDry if is it recommended for poultry as a disinfectant but stick to the instructions and make sure the hens don't inhale any whilst treating the coop.

Have you checked the crevices with white paper for the red mites, as I understand they are not really visable as they are tiny.  The paper will stain red if they are there and feeding on your hens.

bygrace

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2012, 10:07 »
Mine have a sliding air vent which is permanently open and I don't close the pop hole on a night so yours should be alright.

I don't think that I would wet wash in this weather as if not completely dry you could end up with mould spores which would be very bad for your hens.  Use the BioDry if is it recommended for poultry as a disinfectant but stick to the instructions and make sure the hens don't inhale any whilst treating the coop.

Have you checked the crevices with white paper for the red mites, as I understand they are not really visable as they are tiny.  The paper will stain red if they are there and feeding on your hens.

Thanks again ANHBUC - good point about the wet wash and mould spores. I'll hold off on that. Done the paper bit in the crevices for RM.....more and more leaning towards thinking I'm being paranoid about all this!
BG

SMH13

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2012, 11:14 »
Hi, They are fickle things !

I use a fine layer of stalosan f to the flooring. It is a fine red powder that's really a absorbant a disinfectant and gets rid of smells. Since using this and the dust extracted wood shavings I have never had any problems.

Been putting some hay in as the weather has got colder.

Hope this might help?

:)

Have been keeping hens for 3 years - currently have 12.
Enjoy a bit of " The Good Life "

ANHBUC

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2012, 12:26 »
Hi, They are fickle things !

I use a fine layer of stalosan f to the flooring. It is a fine red powder that's really a absorbant a disinfectant and gets rid of smells. Since using this and the dust extracted wood shavings I have never had any problems.

Been putting some hay in as the weather has got colder.

Hope this might help?

:)

Think I have read that the hens can eat the hay as it is food and get impacted crop.  Straw can harbour mites so best not to use that either.  :(  They are plenty warm with their feather duvets.   :)

Lizziechick

« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2012, 12:34 »
What do people use instead of straw then? Mine have straw and seem to be OK?? Is it dangerous? I thought straw might be better because you can compost it and use it on the allotment whereas woodshavings take ages to decompose...What else could I use? I'd be grateful for any advice.

ANHBUC

« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2012, 12:41 »
Hemcore, miscanthus or dust extracted wood chippings.  Some people use shredded paper in the nest box and news paper laid under the perches.

The straw is hollow and can harbour mites, people do use it but you have to be aware of the downside.

lynsnow

« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2012, 12:49 »
I've been using hemcore its very good you can just pick the droppings off the top every day and its rots down very quickly.

Lizziechick

« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2012, 13:19 »
thanks thats reallly useful. I'm sure all that chicken poo is good for my veggies (after it has rotted down...) It'd be a good thing to do with newspaper too...

SMH13

« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2012, 17:45 »
Oh, haven't heard of that from hay and straw ?

Have been keeping hens for 4 years and there haven't been any problems.

There are so many opinions, views etc...... I have just been nusring and old hen and someone said olive oil is great. Flushes out the system, good for worms, good if they are egg bound......

I know a lot of old farmers  and they suggest completely different things !

Guess, look at all the suggestions and pick out what's best for you   :)

Tony H

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2012, 18:14 »
Hay is bad as it can carry mold spores and chucks will eat it, straw is fine as far as i know i havent herd anythink bad about it  :wacko: iuse straw for the nests and woodshavings on the floor  :D
Chicken crazy

SarahJC

• Experienced Member
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2012, 13:15 »
I've just started using Unibed (a poultry bedding). Its dust extracted straw which is chopped up and also is treated with a disinfectant.

It's not as easy to poo pick as it was with the dust extracted wood shavings though.

I've in the past had one hen decide to sleep outside in their enclosed roofed run, then get lonely and head back in to the others!
8 chickens, 5 cats, 2 guinea pigs and 1 other half.

tstainesmoore

« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2012, 17:18 »
A possible reason why the birds have started to roost outside and maybe why u have lost a bird is red mite. although it has been cold and it is winter red mite can still be an issue. A clear indicator of red mite is if th ebirds refuse to go in at night.If any birds appear to have also lost the redness in their comb and wattles then you have red mite. Apart from that they might just like watching the stars?

xx
Hi I'm new and worried/ paranoid

Started by wolverine on The Hen House

24 Replies
Last post May 15, 2010, 07:10
by wolverine
xx
Paranoid Chicken

Started by chickennovice3491 on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post February 27, 2010, 08:47
by dizzylizzie

Page created in 0.313 seconds with 30 queries.