Newbie queries

• 26 Replies

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
Re: Newbie queries
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2012, 15:13 »
They will make their own dust bath, they like to choose their own spot (fussy birds)!

The diatom you are talking about is the one you can use in the slurry to paint on the inside of the coop.  It is a very fine powder, loads of info on its other uses on this link

http://diatomx.co.uk/epages/eshop439661.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/eshop439661/Categories/%22Diatom%20for%20Pests%22

Even though they say it is a natural wormer most chicken keepers still worm with Flubenvet to be on the safe side.  You can sprinkle some on their bedding and soil where they decide the dust bath is and this should help against lice.  Again it is a prevention so you may also need to treat with Frontline Kitten.
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

bygrace

• Experienced Member
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2012, 17:11 »
Thanks again for all the advice! its really helping, the shopping list is getting clearer.

One more query re the dust bath, as there is not much dust about should i get some sand in a tub for them (what type of sand/soil?) have seen posts about diamtous soil? where can i get that? or will they make a hole/crater :tongue2: in the ground anyway?
cheers!
Claire  :)
I put my old summer tubs in the greenhouse to dry, then break that up for the dustbath. It often has some buggy things in it too that keeps those beaks busy! (not my idea I hasten to add - I learnt it from this forum!)

Derculees

« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2012, 19:30 »
Dust bath, I use a mixture of ex flower tub peat as mentioned, river sand, (not builders sand) sieved ashes from the BBQ and a dose of RM powder/diatom. Entice them in with a sprinkle of mixed corn.
The newspaper, under the perch is temporary and goes on top of the shavings not as you mentioned under the tray.
Yorkshire Rose x Scottish Thistle - nice blooms, but wear a glove

Cluckyclaire

« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2012, 22:13 »
Hi there, thanks for all helpful advice, just wanted to be sure re the newspaper under the perches point, i was going to put a layer of newspaper in the pull out tray under the perches and put woodchip/hemcore on top of the newspaper, so its better to have newspaper on top of the woodchip/hemcore?

Thanks

Sassy

« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2012, 08:36 »
Some people put several layers of newspaper under the perches and then remove a layer or two everyday and top up as required. :)
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

Touché Turtle

« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2012, 09:47 »
Hi there, thanks for all helpful advice, just wanted to be sure re the newspaper under the perches point, i was going to put a layer of newspaper in the pull out tray under the perches and put woodchip/hemcore on top of the newspaper, so its better to have newspaper on top of the woodchip/hemcore?

Thanks

I was going to do this too. Only the pull out tray and the slit at the front of the coop is only about 1" deep. This means that by the time you've a bit of woodchip / newspaper on it, any droppings are higher than the slit and get left behind when you pull the tray out.  :(

Having not had hens before this wasn't something I realised would happen. Bad design, hope yours is better.

I have to drop the front door / lift the lid and reach in to sweep everything up. At least I can pull the tray out once empty to clean it. Not the simple procedure it was supposed to be.
Touché Away......!

Casey76

« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2012, 10:11 »
The pull out drawers are meant to be a convenience, but they are anything but (I know, I have one in my quarantine hutch).

If the drawer is metal, then you will need to cover it with something, as it will ratiate cold and can encourage condensation issues, especially in this cold weather.

Hopefully the hens will not have access to the dropping tray, and therefore it would be easy enough to open up a newspaper and take out the top sheet every day.

kegs

« Reply #22 on: February 09, 2012, 13:05 »

Thanks

It depends on the design of your coop really.  In mine the tray isn't lined in metal but is wood with a plastic coating on top.  The tray is a pain to get in and out especially in this weather, so I simply lift the 2 perches out every morning, fold up the old newspaper on the tray and replace it with new paper.  There isn't enough room between the paper and perches to put more than a sprinkling of hemcore or similar.

In the nest boxes I put a layer of paper with a good handful of hemcore then another layer of paper/hemcore (sometimes even a 3rd layer too), so if I'm in a rush and if they've decided to sleep in the nest box or it's particularly muddy I can simply dispose of one layer knowing they've got a couple of others underneath.

Cluckyclaire

« Reply #23 on: February 09, 2012, 13:57 »
Ah thanks everyone, this advice is very helpful and will certainly save me one D'OH moment.....am sure i will have plenty more though hehe  ::)

Will no doubt have some more questions over the weekend as its operation set up this weekend!

Cheers

Derculees

« Reply #24 on: February 10, 2012, 15:41 »
You don't need to pull the tray out often, when I do, I open the roof, remove perches, lower a bucket down thro the roof and (small shovel) the shavings into bucket. Bit of a squeeze to get shoulders in, glad I'm a male  :blush:
re RM dust perch supports. I only pull the tray for a thorough clean or RM check, having done above first.
I'm getting excited for you. Hope all goes well.  :happy:

Mrs Bee

« Reply #25 on: February 10, 2012, 19:57 »
I was a newbie chicken keeper three years ago and the best advice I can give is 'don't worry be happy and a take it as it comes. Your chickens will soon have you trained and doing what they like!!

We bumbled our way through from the beginning, starting with 6 and we now have 10. If a problem came up we researched it and dealt with it.

Don't get too hung up about how do it. Just feel your way into it. So they long as they are kept clean, fed and watered they will reward you with eggs and loads of fun. They all have their own personalities.

If you are going to give them treats, e.g fresh vegetables etc give it to them in the late afternoon or evening otherwise they will fill up on treats and not eat the layers pellets so you will not get so many eggs. That was ine we found out the hard way.

Also get them to take the treats from your hands and get them hand tame. THis will make it easier if you ever have to catch hold of them in a hurry.

We had some right escape artists. the chief one's name  was Nutty. A reason for that! SHe would find a way out and lead all the others out to the tomato plants! Or if I were hanging out the washing I would look down and find a flock of chickens round my feet, OK if you are around all day but a beggar if you want to nip out to the shops and have to round them all up.

As for vacinating or not and not mixing vacinated chooks with unvacinated.
We got our girls from a reputable source and they were all vacinated. Four of those have died over time but the one we bought from  the farm that we stay on holiday at, wasn't vacinated and she is the fittest of the lot. A beautiful cream legbar that lays gorgeous blue eggs.

So, don't stress, enjoy them, watch them and you will soon learn what you need to do. They are the most amazingly funny timewasters on the planet.

Cluckyclaire

« Reply #26 on: February 10, 2012, 23:18 »
Ah thanks for all your advice its really appreciated I am setting stuff up this weekend with my other half so we may have a few questions along the way....MrsBall you really made me smile thanks for your kind words its helped me chill a bit, I cannot wait to post some pics of the coop, shopping tomorrow wire mesh, pellets, gentian violet, flubenvet, grit.....and the hens will be making their debut soon to all my new friends here, ah cheers all

xx
Newbie just setting up - housing queries

Started by Railside Rooster on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post February 06, 2009, 09:03
by poultrygeist
xx
Chicken queries

Started by Stemar on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post August 02, 2009, 08:25
by joyfull
xx
New hens have arrived - few queries?

Started by PaulineM on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post August 13, 2010, 10:47
by Thingy
xx
Lots of queries re incubation

Started by kegs on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post July 08, 2011, 12:56
by Casey76

Page created in 0.301 seconds with 29 queries.