New hens have arrived - few queries?

• 7 Replies

PaulineM

New hens have arrived - few queries?
« on: August 12, 2010, 13:58 »
Hi Everyone
After much reading and researching and asking questions on here my new chickens arrived last night. I got a lovely mixed flock of 6, 2 Welsummers, 1 Barnevelder, 1 Isa Brown, 1 white star and 1 Wyandotte bantee. Kept them in coop until this morning and all seems fine. I even got an egg from the Isa. At the moment they are still in the run as I have 2 Jack Russells who will have to get used to them ASAP. My questions are - There is some pecking going on hopefully just getting their pecking order sorted out, but I am going to try to put some anti-pecking spray on them when my hubby gets home soon, if we can catch them, any hints would be appreciated. Also, how do you first release them to free range, what time of day is best and how will I know if they will go back into coop, how soon should I try this as well. Sorry for the long winded rant. Anyhelp much appreciated.
1 Hubby, 2 children, 2 Welsummers, 1 Leghorn Banty, 1 Wyandotte Banty, 1 Barnevelder, 2 Isa Brown, 1 Rhode Island, 1 Goldline,1 Maran, 2 Mottled Leghorns, 1 Leghorn cockerel & 2 Jack Russells

sneezer

• Experienced Member
Re: New hens have arrived - few queries?
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2010, 14:09 »
Hello congratulations on your new girls!
When I got mine they did the same with the pecking they are just sorting out the pecking order, it should stop in a week or so, so don't worry if you cant catch them and apply the pecking spray, if you cant catch them in 2-3 attempts just leave them as it stresses them out. Mine where kept in the run to start (week or so) with and they didn't put themselves to bed so I picked them up and walked them up the ramp to the coop- the next night they did it on their own.  They are allowed to free range when I get home early afternoon they will again put themselves to bed around 8pm at the moment- this again varies with other people. good luck! hope this helps  :)

themagicaltoad1

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2010, 14:19 »
Chickens will do anything for a handful of corn. If you want them to go back into the run before they're ready, just let them see you throw a handful of corn in and they will chase after it. Good luck with your new girls.

Thingy

• Experienced Member
  • Budding Animal Behaviourist :)
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2010, 14:23 »
Hi,

I am not to good with intrecute care of chickens but their behaviour and dogs are my areas of expertise :)

The jack russells are a breed that kills anything small and quick moving...while they will keep rats at bay, they may go for your chickens so be carefull when you let them free range...even if they are used to them :)

You shouldn't need anti peck stuff unless its really bad pecking. They will peck each other a bit and it sometimes can look bad. Try putting vasaline on their combs. I had to do that on a cockerel I was introducing to the other cockerals in my bacholar group and it worked, they are now all friends.

To catch them, I have a Border Collie sans sheep at the moment to I work the chickens with him :). Try being a human collie and herd them into a corner then gently pick them up, although to keep doing it as this can be quite stressfull...and countertame them a bit. For a stress free way of catching them, take them of the perches at night.

Just open the door, they know where to go at night...instinct will guide them to their perches :).

I usually let my chickens out mid afternoon...as long as they know where home is :)
When the wolf lays with the lamb, I fear for us all

PaulineM

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2010, 15:35 »
Thanks for all help so far. :)
I should also add that although the chickens will hopefully free range, the JR's don't, they live indoors and only go out to toilet or be with us around the gardens or to go for their runs over the fields. I will never totally trust them tho. They are definitely getting used to the chickens in their run already although are still very curious. The chickens came from a breeder with JR's so there is always hope.
I will try to spray them when they are on their perches tonight but not if they get too upset. They are in and out of the coop all day so hopefull will retire tonight themselves, the 2 Wellsummers and the Barnevelder roosted themselves last night and we only had to lift up the other 3. I hate keeping them in the run but know that it will have to be that way for a while, not sure whether to clip their wings or not as some of our fencing is only just over 3 foot high.
Thanks again everyone and keep your hints coming they are all very much appreciated.

sneezer

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2010, 16:25 »
If you clip their wings make sure you only clip one side, this then makes them unbalanced, I would watch them first as mine haven't shown any interest in escaping, and they can fly up high onto tables, window ledges etc, but seem to know where they are better off.

PaulineM

« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2010, 16:39 »
Thanks Sneezer I will do that, can just picture us running over the farners fields trying to catch the escapees.    :lol:

Thingy

• Experienced Member
  • Budding Animal Behaviourist :)
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2010, 10:47 »
Lol that image was me the other day. my Bacholars escaped into 3 of my fields. All went their seperate ways. Without my collie, I would have been there for hours:).

Can I just say that I let NEW chickens out late afternoon....my establised flocks go out in the morning :tongue2:

xx
My 3 hens don't eat mixed corn and rats have arrived

Started by stujem on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post September 24, 2010, 19:02
by evie2
xx
Chicken queries

Started by Stemar on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post August 02, 2009, 08:25
by joyfull
xx
Newbie queries

Started by Cluckyclaire on The Hen House

26 Replies
Last post February 10, 2012, 23:18
by Cluckyclaire
xx
Lots of queries re incubation

Started by kegs on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post July 08, 2011, 12:56
by Casey76

Page created in 0.261 seconds with 36 queries.