Newbie queries

• 26 Replies

Cluckyclaire

Newbie queries
« on: February 04, 2012, 23:55 »
Hello there, I am a total chicken amateur so sorry if i am asking questions that have been asked a million times...and sorry for the essay  :unsure: I have recently purchased a new chicken coop/ ark (states suitable for 9 small/6 large birds) and have never kept chickens before, though i have wanted to for ages so thought i would have a go.
I went to visit a breeder last week and saw three absolutely lovely healthy young Orpington hens (currently 12 weeks old) and i hope to collect them (3 hens) in 2 weeks. I figured that the house i bought will give them enough space and it has an integral run (17ft2) so i hope that would be enough? whilst i am out at work they can access the run area and when i am home they can free range in the garden once settled no probs (large garden).

My queries relate to:

1. Vaccination - i queried with the breeder who said he does not vaccinate his flock (all the birds there look very healthy to be honest, and having read quite a few articles i just feel a bit confused, i gather the mindset is that some do and some dont vaccinate? we do have wild birds in the garden though i do not feed them, sorry if i sound over protective, just want to know if they are more likely to get ill because they are not vaccinated, also  would we be ok to eat eggs if hens have not had salmonella vaccine? sorry if thats a silly question

2. we have a large garden, some lawned areas, some patio, some under pine tree, i would hope to be moving the coop around to allow the girls to have fresh grass etc and am concerned re foxes not that we see many as we are quite urban here but i would assume the hens may attract them? i intend to put paving slabs around edge of house/run?

3. Droppings - do i need to muck out the pull out droppings tray that is under the perch area every day/ once a week? I would intend to put this into composter so could i line with woodchips/newspaper?

Oh my.... i think i will have quite a few queries and i am grateful for your advice, i just want to do right by them when i do get them, cheers

Tony H

• Experienced Member
Re: Newbie queries
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2012, 07:40 »
Hi and welcome,
i clean mine out every 2 days but i have a lot so make alot of mess  :tongue2: space is an isue that comes up all the time, if you look through the old posts on here you will be able to read all the posts, you should aim for 4sq meters if possible if you have a small run aria you can increase the chucks roaming by letting them free range for a few hours a day, the truble with the bought ones is they always overstate  the size, i got one from P.et at home it said suitable for 6 chucks when i got home and assembled it i was suprised how little room they had, sorry i cant comment on vaxinations but someone will be along soon who will give the full info you need  :D
Chicken crazy

Sassy

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2012, 09:38 »
Agree re coop may not be suitable for the number stated - sad but all too often true. Be aware that Orpingtons will grow into large hens - you may be surprised just how large! But are generally very placid, do not let their size put you off, just be aware of the extra space required. It's great that you have a large garden remember that chooks are generally very destructive so you may need to protect anything that you don't want destroyed.

Re vaccinations. I choose not to vaccinate mine - as in I buy them unvaccinated. If vaccinating they need to be vaccinated, depending on what its for, within a few day of hatching. If you practice good housekeeping it should not be necessary in my opinion. It only really became necessary because of battery and caged hens kept in an unnatural environment that can be breeding grounds for all sorts of things. Vaccinated birds can still get sick. All of the above is why you will read mixed opinions.

Whatever you decide, please note it is not good practice to mix vaccinated and unvaccinated birds :)

Enjoy your chooks and be aware they are addictive!! :D
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

Cluckyclaire

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2012, 12:48 »
Ah thanks for your comments, I will be back on here when I get the girls home in a couple of weeks, am really looking forward to it!  :D

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2012, 09:57 »
I would advise you to give your new coop a couple of coates of something like Ronseal Fence paint which will make it waterproof, help stop the wood warping and if treated regularly stop your coop rotting.   :)
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

ehs284

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2012, 12:33 »
Move the coop around a lawn??? :lol:
Once - after that it will be around a series of craters. They do love grass, but also digging in to first find worms then dustbathing. You'll be amazed how destructive they can be. There is a poultry grass which is more resilient than lawn grasses.

Derculees

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2012, 18:24 »
As previously mentioned, 4 orps are enough for a so called '6 hen coop & run' your 3 is fine.
I attached wheels to the heavy end of the coop and moved it 1 length on a daily basis and swept the droppings onto the 'flower beds' or what's left of them. Good time weather permitting, as mentioned to coat the coop with protective coating. I found 'Sikkens' brilliant
although expensive, luckily we have a local supplier. Inside the coop a good layer of dust free shavings and a 'puff' round the corners and perch supports with anti mite powder is a good start. A temporary newspaper/mail shots under the perch, rolled up and composted every 2/3 days is done in minutes. Moving the coop rules out paving slabs. With a bit of clipping for chooky headroom under the pine tree sounds good for dust bathing with more anti mite powder added for self dusting. I purchased an electric netting fence, as my neighbours feed foxes and treat them as pets!! App. £150.00 I've been woken up by some strange foxy screams. !! Enjoy
Yorkshire Rose x Scottish Thistle - nice blooms, but wear a glove

Cluckyclaire

« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2012, 20:02 »
Ah cheers for the further advice, I really do appreciate it and was actually thinking it may be a good idea to use a treatment on the hen house to help with waterproofing etc, will look at the brands suggested and will get this done this weekend (should I treat the inside too?) and will do the lice powder treatment too before the hens arrive.

I need to get a list together I have found a farm supplier shop not too far away so am going to pop there next weekend, there is a good supplier not too far away that seem very reasonable compared to prices i have seen at the pets at home type place.

My list so far (have i missed any anything?  ???):

Bedding - woodchips/shavings (pale colour bales/same as used at stables?) to go under the perches/pull out tray with newspaper underneath as suggested, have seen larger/darker woodchip in the pens at the breeders 
Bale of straw for nest boxes
Lice powder for hen house
Lice powder/spray? for application to hens
Vaseline/spray for leg mites
Purple gentian violet spray
Flubenvet wormer
Dustbath? would one of the trug type flexible buckets work? with some sand? I dont have a clue about this!

Layers pellets (the breeder said they are eating these now)
Mixed corn
Feeder and water dispensers
Grit - need advice some advice... no oyster shell?
Vitamins/tonic?
Apple cider vinegar

I am starting to gather the hens are going to trash my garden??!!  :ohmy: hehe well they are going to have a great time am sure i will need to bar off some areas to actually let some stuff grow? i grow lots of veggies so i will sow extra this year  :D I will probably get a couple of skids/wheels to move the coop around, thanks for the advice, if anyone else has any new keeper advice please let me know.

12 days til I collect them! hehe  :D

cheers

Claire

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2012, 20:25 »
(should I treat the inside too?)

You shouldn't need to do inside.

will do the lice powder treatment too before the hens arrive.

Here is what you can paint on the inside to prevent redmite, the famous hillfooter recipe "I don't weigh it out I simply start by putting some dilute disinfectant in a large yogurt pot leaving space to add the powder.  I use Vanodine V18 diluted to the surface disinfection rate.  Add a squeeze of washing up liquid for wetting (not too much, half a teaspoon is fine) then slowly add the Diatom powder mixing as you go to form a smooth thin batter consistancy which paints well.  Paint on the roosts and into corners where you get RM.  The Vanodine disinfects and isn't deactivated by dirt.

Poultry Shield is really a detergent which has disinfecting properties (as all detergents do in fact) so you can use it though it has no disinfecting action once dry.   In fact PS is an expensive way to clean your house.  Cheap washing up liquid diluted with a slurp of household disinfectant is equally good at much lower cost.  Better to use Vanodine though as it retains it's disinfecting properties when dry.  It's based on iodine and is the disinfectant of choice for pigeon lofts and poultry houses.

Best wishes
HF"

My list so far (have i missed any anything?  ???):

Bedding - woodchips/shavings (pale colour bales/same as used at stables?) to go under the perches/pull out tray with newspaper underneath as suggested, have seen larger/darker woodchip in the pens at the breeders 
Bale of straw for nest boxes
Straw can harbour redmite so just use the dust extracted woodchips/shavings in the coop and nest boxes.

Lice powder for hen house
Lice powder/spray? for application to hens
Most members use Frontline for kittens as a lice treatment

Vaseline/spray for leg mites
Purple gentian violet spray
Flubenvet wormer

Dustbath? would one of the trug type flexible buckets work? with some sand? I dont have a clue about this!
They will usually choose their own dustbath area by them digging a hole!

Layers pellets (the breeder said they are eating these now)
Mixed corn
This is a treat so only give them a small amount preferably at the end of the day so they get a balanced diet from the layers pellets.

Feeder and water dispensers
Grit - need advice some advice... no oyster shell?
Need both grit and oyster shell which the hens will help themselves to.

Vitamins/tonic?
Apple cider vinegar

Sure if anything is missed out others will be ready with more advice and their experience.   :)

bygrace

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2012, 20:31 »
Hi CluckyClaire - Just to add my twopenny worth.....

I intended to move the run around every few weeks but that became impractical, so I leave it in situ and have put in liberal quantities of miscanthus (horse bedding) - they love chucking it around, and I've put perspex on top of the run to help keep it dry. I tend not to poo pick in the run, but the miscanthus composts well so can be totally cleared once in a while.

For my dustbath I use one of those low oblong plastic containers that you use to store stuff under the bed. The lid keeps the dust dry when not in use.

I also have a tub of diatom - it's a dry disinfecting powder that you can dust in the straw in the nesting box, and also scatter on the ground if layers pellets get spilt and wet (this tends to smells if it goes sour).

Hope you love your chooks - I've had mine since October and can't believe I waited so long!

BG

Cluckyclaire

« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2012, 21:19 »
Ah cheers everyone for the advice, am sure I will have a few more queries over the coming weeks and appreciate all the help

Thanks again

Claire  :)

Sassy

« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2012, 08:51 »
I also have a tub of diatom - it's a dry disinfecting powder that you can dust in the straw in the nesting box, and also scatter on the ground if layers pellets get spilt and wet (this tends to smells if it goes sour).

I wasn't aware that diatom is disinfectant - I would check that - I could be wrong. It is generally used for red mite and works by drying the mite out. :)

bygrace

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2012, 09:17 »

I wasn't aware that diatom is disinfectant - I would check that - I could be wrong. It is generally used for red mite and works by drying the mite out. :)

Sorry all, my mistake - I got my white powders mixed up! I should have said BioDri - that is a "super absorbant powder" for bedding etc, and contains a "Defra approved powder disinfectant"!

That'll teach me not to check before posting  :(  Sorry to confuse.....
BG

kegs

« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2012, 11:41 »
Well done Cluckyclaire for such a well researched list.

It might be worth giving your coop a good coating of the following slurry mix which will look awful but is very good for keeping red mite away.

http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=81422.0

I keep a container of Poultry Spice which I scatter on their pellets every so often.  I've no idea whether it does any good but I quite like the smell!! 

Check when you buy the grit as it may also contain oyster shell - chickens do need both because it's the oyster shell which ensures good quality egg shells when they start laying. 

When I first got our chickens I put down a tray of sand and soil for their dust bath which they promptly ignored and went and made their own in the garden! 

I've also got a tub of Stalosan F which is a pink disinfectant powder and quite handy to keep in for use in both Summer and Winter. 

So, along with the three vitals: Frontline, Flubenvet and purple spray (keep a small child's paintbrush handy for dabbing on) which you've already mentioned you should be fully prepared.  Good luck.

Cluckyclaire

« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2012, 13:51 »
Thanks again for all the advice! its really helping, the shopping list is getting clearer.

One more query re the dust bath, as there is not much dust about should i get some sand in a tub for them (what type of sand/soil?) have seen posts about diamtous soil? where can i get that? or will they make a hole/crater :tongue2: in the ground anyway?
cheers!
Claire  :)

xx
Newbie just setting up - housing queries

Started by Railside Rooster on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post February 06, 2009, 09:03
by poultrygeist
xx
Chicken queries

Started by Stemar on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post August 02, 2009, 08:25
by joyfull
xx
New hens have arrived - few queries?

Started by PaulineM on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post August 13, 2010, 10:47
by Thingy
xx
Lots of queries re incubation

Started by kegs on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post July 08, 2011, 12:56
by Casey76

Page created in 1.077 seconds with 37 queries.