Hi I'm new and worried/ paranoid

• 24 Replies

wolverine

• Experienced Member
Hi I'm new and worried/ paranoid
« on: May 12, 2010, 17:32 »
Hi i've had my hens for 3 weeks  now they are still very young I think I got then at p o l and they still don't have their combs yet. They all seem healthy and lively but one was coughing when we got her and then after a week they all got runny noses and we took them to the vet who said it could be mycoplasma. We think we fixed that with the Medecine that she gave us but now I'm worried they have lice I've inspected the one who will let me pick her up and there is something crawling on her skin. can you be to protective or is it best go be vigilant ? ps they have a dust bath. so will they sort them out themself?? Sorry for the essay I'm just worried 
"It's so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don't say it."

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: Hi I'm new and worried/ paranoid
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2010, 17:43 »
dust bathing will not get rid of them, the eggs will stick to their feathers. You need to get something like frontline to treat them. This is not licensed for poultry (like so many medicines) so you should get it from your vet who should make you sign a sheet as it isn't licenced.
Staffies are softer than you think.

wolverine

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2010, 17:51 »
So is frontline safe to use? do I have to go to the vet to get it can't I buy it on a shop?.  This might sound like a dumb question but I dont have any other pets so I've never bought it before

wolverine

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2010, 17:52 »
Thanks for replying by the way 

joyfull

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2010, 18:04 »
A pet shop should not sell it to you for chickens as it isn't licensed, whereas a vet is able to do so. I use the spray with my chickens but like I say I get it from my vets  :). You can get other lice/mite treatments but I don't know how effective they are as I don't use them.

wolverine

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2010, 18:10 »
 if it's ok to use then I just won't tell the pet shop I'm using it for my hens.
surely that's what most people do ??

joyfull

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2010, 18:25 »
they should ask you what it's for as it is a licensed product (for cats, kittens, dogs and puppies), I don't know what other people do but I get mine the way I have mentioned this way I am covered should anything untoward happen. It is best to register your hens anyway with a vet (as you would any other pet) just in case you need to visit them. Mine know I have hens and cockerels but don't need to know how many (they do need to know this though if you have to treat them all for anything), their ages or their breeds.
As you say you have already received treatment from your vet then I don't understand why you don't get the frontline off them  :)

I use the spray but others use the kitten drops.

dizzylizzie

« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2010, 18:32 »
You can get the drops on line without a script, for me its cheaper than the vets, but the spray isnt available without a script as it has an extra ingredient in it. Just google it and it will come up with some online places..When i had 6 hens i just used the kitten drops, but now i have lots more its more cost effective for me to use the spray. I could get it cheaper on line, but the vet was going to charge me £9 for a script, then there was p&p on top so it was cheaper for me to get the spray from the vets (but not the drops) ;)

wolverine

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2010, 19:12 »
Are the drops easier? Two of my hens aren't the tamest of birds despite our efforts. so a something that won't stress them out will be best.  Can I not use de lice powder in their dust bath then would they not kind of be getting a good covering withought me chasing them round the garden ha ha

wolverine

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2010, 19:26 »
There is some stuff in the co op called spot on I wonder is this is the same stuff with a differant name??? I'll do some research thanks for your help

dizzylizzie

« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2010, 19:36 »
nope, spot on isnt the same as frontline  :) You can try putting the powder in the dust bath, personally if i knew my girls had crawlies i wouldnt be leaving it to chance and i would treat it aggressively. I wouldnt like to have lice crawling over me :(

wolverine

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2010, 11:30 »
Ok I have got the spray frontline spray but the receptionist didn't know alot at the vet so can you tell me how u use it it obviously doesn't have chicken instructions in the pack ha ha do I spray under the feathers on the skin?  under wings? I need to get rid quick they are making me itch thinking about them please help  :(

joyfull

« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2010, 11:38 »
a short burst on the back of the neck should soon have the things under control, never spray under their wings. Use it very sparingly as it is strong. If you got it from a vets they should have given you these instructions and if the receptionist didn't know then she should have asked the vets. Make sure you then change their bedding incase any have fallen off and are still living.
I treat mine twice a year and have only had a problem once and that was with a broody (broodies can be prone).

wolverine

• Experienced Member
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2010, 11:47 »
Well the sticker on the bottle says 6 - 12 pump actions per kilo of body weight every ( then the sticker runs out) so that sounds like way to much to you? Maybe I got the wrong stuff  :(

Jeanette

« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2010, 11:54 »
Just a short squirt on the back of the neck and it will soon have it sorted.
 I do know what it is like when you first get your girls it can be very worrying and a sharp learing curve but we have all been there at some time so dont worry about asking questions that is how most people find out about things, and enjoy having your girls. :)

xx
Am I being paranoid?

Started by bygrace on The Hen House

15 Replies
Last post February 10, 2012, 21:57
by bygrace
xx
Paranoid Chicken

Started by chickennovice3491 on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post February 27, 2010, 08:47
by dizzylizzie
xx
should i be worried??????

Started by dawnie77 on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post July 10, 2011, 20:27
by dawnie77
xx
I'm still worried

Started by Honeysuckle on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post April 16, 2009, 17:54
by kimT

Page created in 0.277 seconds with 37 queries.