potato growing in barrels

• 16 Replies

marp

« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2007, 15:20 »
Hi Grannieannie,

We are just north of Lincoln, but just as windswept as you are near Boston.  I sometimes suspect there is nothing between us and America when the wind blows!  Runner beans took ages to take off this year - I though we wouldn't get a meal from them but as soon as the rain stopped, they grew like mad.  

We have quite a high water table here and several apple trees we planted 3 years ago that have been doing so well, looked like Leaning Towers of Pisa one day following a high wind.  We realised the unprecidented levels of rain had probably waterlogged their roots and dislodged the soil around them, so we propped and re- staked them and are now hoping for the best.

All the while I have been moaning about failed potato barrel yields I didn't mention that we had a great crop of very sweet and juicy carrots again, grown in a barrel for the first time to combat the carrot root fly which has so often frustrated us.  
However it is entirely possible that no self respecting carrot root fly would have been out and about in the weather we had this year anyway. LOL
marp in Lincolnshire

WG.

« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2007, 15:34 »
Quote from: "marp"
However it is entirely possible that no self respecting carrot root fly would have been out and about in the weather we had this year anyway.
Oh I can assure they were  :evil: .  Some of my raised carrot beds must only have been 23.99 inches 'cos they got up there.  :)

xx
growing spuds in barrels

Started by CHRIS THE VEG on Grow Your Own

19 Replies
Last post April 10, 2007, 08:37
by WG.
xx
Growing carrots in large barrels

Started by kizza on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post May 14, 2007, 11:07
by SkipRat
xx
potato growing kit

Started by Milly on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post April 26, 2008, 17:03
by Milly
xx
Potato growing

Started by haulyfryn on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post May 06, 2010, 18:23
by Aunt Sally

Page created in 0.559 seconds with 27 queries.