front garden with veg

• 23 Replies

muntjac

front garden with veg
« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2007, 13:49 »
if you can find a half sunny sheltered spot then the bay will be fine ,or tub it and as u say bring it indoors to a cool place . central heating will kill it :wink:
still alive /............

Ice

• muck spreader
front garden with veg
« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2007, 19:24 »
I started a similar thread to this back in December.  Try searching for "any ideas for decorative but edible plants".  Got some really useful answers too, strangely. :lol:
Cheese makes everything better.

splodger

front garden with veg
« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2007, 20:02 »
before i got my lottie plot - i grew veggies in my front garden - it looked great.

i dug out a bed - also filled with builders rubble - size 4ft wide x 15 ft long.

it slopes - so dug down 2 1/2 ft at top - 1 1/2 ft at base - lined with thick chestnut poles to give a nice edge.

filled with well rotted muck - topped with the soil that i riddled from the rubble.

grew broad beans, runner beans and dwarf beans - carrots, onions, beetroot, parsnips, lettuce, garlic, cabbages, leeks, turnips, chillis and peppers and all my herbs.

also grew toms, raspberries and strawberries in containers - all mixed in with flowers - it look great - and tasted great too - and as i live in a small village - and was new to the area - i got lots of interest and was even asked to show my garden (but i'm too shy for that sort of thing  :lol:)

but it was a good way to stop and chat to all the passers by.

good luck with yours

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
front garden with veg
« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2007, 22:22 »

Ice

• muck spreader
front garden with veg
« Reply #19 on: October 04, 2007, 22:25 »
Thanks Aunt Sally.   8)

Emma

front garden with veg
« Reply #20 on: October 05, 2007, 13:09 »
thanks for the replies.

Looks like a baytree is out as our house is tropical in the winter.

Anybody have ideas for a central all year round feature similar to baytree that would withstand a good dose of welsh weather. Would get sun all morning but is quite exposed to the wind.
Otherwise I could always go for sundial / birdbath / climing frame

Cheers

muntjac

front garden with veg
« Reply #21 on: October 05, 2007, 13:12 »
you can still have a bay tree ..... just fleece it well as i suggested  :wink:  we get minus 11 c on the coast here ,,, im 100 yds from the sea  and they do well around here as they just cover them up with  fleece and canes . the frost only kills if it gets contact with the plants fleece helps to stop this  :wink:

gobs

front garden with veg
« Reply #22 on: October 05, 2007, 13:22 »
I also have a bay tree(so does my neighbour), I got it 5 years ago, quite cheap at a herb farm, only covered it in the first two years, it's about seven feet now and flowers every year, East midlands.
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

freyaluck

• Experienced Member
front garden with veg
« Reply #23 on: October 06, 2007, 11:36 »
I use my front garden for herbs veg and fruit, bit of disaster this year with the weather and slugs,  still I got a fw onions, spring onions, strawberries, 1 tomato  :oops: (they got blight) , chard and rocket and loads of different herbs.
i have just put some onoins sets in intermaingled with the herbs and some purple sprouting brocalli, will be transplanting some spinich in over the next couple of weeks.   Plus have just planted a rhubarb crown and a red current.  :D   the neighborhood kids are great and always ask before the pick.
 My 2yo son is the worst he had all the apples off the tree by end of august :roll: .
I have put in a small pond now so hopefully that will deal with some of the slugs, just need to plant it up now.
Will have to take some pics, although don't expect It to be tidy as I like to leave it as indisturbed as pos and that includes a few pretty weeds , wildflowers and loads of calendula which loved the wet weather :)
Carlie- The nutty one
Now totally ORGANIC and using permaculture design.
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

xx
Front Garden Growing

Started by Sophie_Chilli on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post November 17, 2010, 13:07
by Sophie_Chilli
xx
Front garden growing

Started by Elcie on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post December 18, 2008, 23:11
by jennyb
xx
Growing in your front garden

Started by Baldy on Grow Your Own

34 Replies
Last post May 09, 2015, 11:48
by I Love Spuds
xx
What to plant in a Front Garden?

Started by Kagganz on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post February 19, 2009, 09:20
by Debbie D

Page created in 0.451 seconds with 28 queries.