What type of chickens do I want?

• 31 Replies

Pepperpincushion

• Experienced Member
What type of chickens do I want?
« on: March 16, 2011, 21:25 »
I have just ordered a chicken coop and I have no idea what type of chickens to look for!

I want three hens and I would like them to be good layers (although they will primarily be pets  ;) )
I would prefer them not to try and fly away too much (!) if this is relevant to breed?

I'm not sure what else I need to consider? I would appreciate some guidance on what to think about and what to look for - in breeds as well as from the breeder/seller.
Thanks!

Vecten

• Experienced Member
Re: What type of chickens do I want?
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2011, 21:37 »
I have just ordered a chicken coop and I have no idea what type of chickens to look for!

I want three hens and I would like them to be good layers (although they will primarily be pets  ;) )
I would prefer them not to try and fly away too much (!) if this is relevant to breed?

I'm not sure what else I need to consider? I would appreciate some guidance on what to think about and what to look for - in breeds as well as from the breeder/seller.
Thanks!

Blimey. You're hard work.

I suggest 3 hybrids. Rangers or Warrens. Nothing else you need to consider there, just get them.

Buy yourself the Haynes Chicken Manual and come back in 3 months.  :D :D :D
« Last Edit: March 16, 2011, 21:38 by Vecten »

Pepperpincushion

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2011, 21:41 »
Sorry!  :tongue2:

Vecten

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2011, 21:45 »
Only kidding  :) You need hybrids to begin with. They are the best layers and probably the friendliest. Later on you can experiment a bit when you have a bit of experience. Hybrids are available at any breeder or agent.

Pepperpincushion

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2011, 21:48 »
OK, sounds nice and easy  :)

Lindeggs

• A little Kiwi
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2011, 21:51 »
Aha!  I disagree!  ::) (Of course you knew this would happen)

Rather than hybrids, get heritage breeds.  They won't lay as prolifically in the first couple of years, but they are likely to live longer and keep laying for longer.

But just to get a bit more systematic about the decision:  You have decided to have three hens.  How many eggs do you want each week?  If you want 15+ then go for hybrids.  If you want fewer than that go for heritage breeds.

Also hybrids are more likely to keep laying during their first winter and less likely to go broody than most of the old-fashioned breeds so you will have a more steady supply of eggs during all seasons.

I have six chickens and I'm happy to have a variable egg supply (I can store or sell any excess) so heritage breeds suit my needs.

Pepperpincushion

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2011, 21:57 »
We can get through up to 30 eggs per week in our household (we have six children!) so excess eggs will never be a problem!  ;)
It would be nice if they lay lots of eggs but as I say, I will enjoy them for their own sake as well  :)

Chrysalis

« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2011, 21:58 »
Our hybrids laid really well the first year and tailed off during the latter half of the second.  This year (3rd) is very variable.  The Warren laid about three hundred and twenty eggs in year one (No wonder she's a bit hit and miss these days!).  She's been our best.  Blackrock hybrids are keen to free range and will need their wings clipping.  Warrens are friendly and stay close by.  We have a speckeldy and a bluebelle as well.  The bluebelle is beautiful, HUGE and lays the least.  Ex-batts are not necessarily a bad choice, but will lay a bit less and may need a knitted coat until their feathers grow... You're going to have such fun!!!

Lindeggs

• A little Kiwi
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2011, 22:00 »
Oh the second part of your question asked about age.  The usual suggestion is to get them at point of lay (POL) - these are pullets that are almost ready to start laying,so you should have eggs pretty soon after you get them.  The age when they start laying will depend partly on breed.

You can also get them when they are younger, as long as
a) the breeder advises you that they can be kept outside, without any heat (this will depend partly on your local climate and also the practises of the breeder)
b) You are prepared to keep feeding and taking care of them for some time before they start laying.

Younger birds need different food than those at POL, and can also be vulnerable to diseases such as coccidiosis, so you need to take this into account.

I had originally ordered 8-week-olds from a local breeder but she was unable to supply them so I found a different breeder.  He supplied birds in the 12 to 17 week range, and in the end I'm glad that's what I got.

Pepperpincushion

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2011, 22:07 »
There's a place near me called Ark Birds and Bees that sounds good. They sell the hens at POL, fully vaccinated etc and seem like they take care to help you pick out the right birds. They have a picture of an amber hybrid that looks beautiful  :wub:

Vecten

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2011, 22:09 »
Hybrids are sold by agents, who buy them from registered breeders who are closely monitored by DEFRA to preserve the integrity of the National Flock. You really can't go wrong there.

By buying heritage breeds you are laying yourself open to all sorts of problems unless you are experienced. Heritage tend, on the whole to be not as family friendly as hybrids, although this will be hotly contested, I am sure.

As Lindegg said buy them at Point Of Lay.

Vecten

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2011, 22:17 »
There's a place near me called Ark Birds and Bees that sounds good. They sell the hens at POL, fully vaccinated etc and seem like they take care to help you pick out the right birds. They have a picture of an amber hybrid that looks beautiful  :wub:

Oh you are in Kent. Are you near me?

Pepperpincushion

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2011, 22:20 »
Other side - Tenterden  :)

Vecten

• Experienced Member
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2011, 22:29 »
Ark have some nice hybrids, I have had some here, usually passed on by people who have changed their minds about keeping chickens :)

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2011, 23:10 »
Have a look at different breeds and choose the ones you like the looks of, I have warrens, goldline, black rock (4 and still laying well), araucanas for blue eggs (various colours) appenzellers for white eggs, various silkie crosses, speckled sussex (very pretty), belgiums and sabelpoots.
Staffies are softer than you think.

xx
Do chickens like a buddy of the same colour/type?

Started by SusieB on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post September 01, 2013, 19:44
by SusieB
xx
Type of hen?

Started by NATHAN on The Hen House

25 Replies
Last post October 26, 2007, 22:55
by Aunt Sally
xx
What type are these?

Started by Chicken_Lover on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post July 22, 2012, 14:40
by Chicken_Lover
xx
Anyone Tried this Type of Waterer?

Started by SurreyLass on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post July 28, 2012, 17:46
by ehs284

Page created in 1.139 seconds with 38 queries.