What type of chickens do I want?

• 31 Replies

Casey76

Re: What type of chickens do I want?
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2011, 07:08 »
By buying heritage breeds you are laying yourself open to all sorts of problems unless you are experienced. Heritage tend, on the whole to be not as family friendly as hybrids, although this will be hotly contested, I am sure.

Why would you say that Vecten? 

While I'm usually the first person to suggest POL hybrids to a beginner, there would be nothing wrong is buying POL breed chickens.  The major down sides to buying breed chickens is normally the price, because in comparison to commercially produced hybrids, breed chickens are more expensive.  The other is that they will not probably start to lay until later than the 16-18 weeks of a Warren (more like 26 - 30 week old).

But other than that I can't see what the problems would be?

Sassy

« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2011, 08:21 »
I do hotly contest the suggestion that pure breeds are not as friendly/easy to keep as hybrids.

I started with hybrids and did have a problem. I now have two types of pure breed and they have been fine and all are friendly including one that insists on a free ride round on my head or shoulders! :)
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

8doubles

« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2011, 08:31 »
1 Light sussex
1 Speckeldy type hybrid
1 Goldline / warren type hybrid

I may be biased !  :)

Vecten

• Experienced Member
« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2011, 08:36 »
By buying heritage breeds you are laying yourself open to all sorts of problems unless you are experienced. Heritage tend, on the whole to be not as family friendly as hybrids, although this will be hotly contested, I am sure.

Why would you say that Vecten? 

While I'm usually the first person to suggest POL hybrids to a beginner, there would be nothing wrong is buying POL breed chickens.  The major down sides to buying breed chickens is normally the price, because in comparison to commercially produced hybrids, breed chickens are more expensive.  The other is that they will not probably start to lay until later than the 16-18 weeks of a Warren (more like 26 - 30 week old).

But other than that I can't see what the problems would be?

Heritage breeds tend to be bred either for exhibition or for laying. Good layers tend not to make good exhibits and vice versa. You never really know what you are getting until you are experienced.

Maeve

« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2011, 12:01 »
1 Light sussex
1 Speckeldy type hybrid
1 Goldline / warren type hybrid

I may be biased !  :)

1 Blackrock
1 Welsummer
2 Rhode Island Reds

= up to 20+ eggs a week
Tame and friendly (except the Welsummer)

I may also be biased!
« Last Edit: March 17, 2011, 12:03 by Maeve »

D

• Experienced Member
  • Bella
« Reply #20 on: March 17, 2011, 12:36 »
I too am for pure breeds. I've got two hybirds and they are great birds - friendly and lay a lot. However, the rest of mine are pure breeds and I prefer the thought of keeping pure breeds (support the heritage and all that). You can pay more for pure breeds, but this is for the show strain. You should be able to find a good breeder of the utility strain and these won't cost as much as the show strain - or atleast shouldn't.

Vecten

• Experienced Member
« Reply #21 on: March 17, 2011, 12:55 »
I have nothing against pure breeds. I was simply answering PPC's question as well as I could. She wants good layers, friendly birds and not flighty. To me that smells like a hybrid. I prefer pure breeds myself but her needs don't really fit that.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #22 on: March 17, 2011, 15:54 »
Most of mine are pure breeds and are friendly, however I still stand by going out and looking at different birds. Some people like different coloured eggs, others like certain coloured feathers and others prefer Bantams (whether true bantams or smaller versions of large fowl breeds). I have all types but my favourite has to be my sabelpoots and Belgiums - dinky little eggs and bags of personality.
However I am now thinking along the lines of Cochins and another couple of Naked Necks (ugly but so funny  :D ).
None of us can really advise as we will all be biased.
Staffies are softer than you think.

ManicMum

• Experienced Member
« Reply #23 on: March 17, 2011, 16:28 »
Another factor in the choice could be egg colour: dark brow, through cream to pure white, speckled, blue or green......

Look around and see what takes your fancy - whatever you choose, you won't regret it and might find you have to get more birds - one for each child?!
ManicMum

Pepperpincushion

• Experienced Member
« Reply #24 on: March 17, 2011, 16:39 »
 :lol:

Vecten

• Experienced Member
« Reply #25 on: March 17, 2011, 18:41 »

elibump

« Reply #26 on: March 17, 2011, 19:01 »
Check Grannie Annie's bit, it might help to clarify your views.

Eli xx
Talking to the microwave,I ask you wall, what is the world coming to?
Blesséd are the cracked for tis they who let in the light!

hillfooter

« Reply #27 on: March 20, 2011, 18:28 »
Just choose a chicken within a broad catagory which meets your basic criteria then choose the breed on the basis of what takes your fancy and robustness to British weather unless you want to molli-coddle them.  Here's some broad selection criteria I compiled a while ago.

"If you want lots of eggs and some interesting pets and aren't interested in the social side of chicken keeping choose hybrids.  They lay lots of eggs particularly in their first 2 seasons and make good pets too.  However if you want to keep chx as more of a hobby or want spectacular looking birds, or bantams, or want to breed birds, or engage in the social side of breed clubs, or get into showing etc then choose Pure Breeds.

It's like the difference between mongrels and pedegree dogs really.  Most people start with hybrids because they want eggs and hybrids are readily available from garden centres and breeders.   Once they get to know a little more they want to get more into the hobby angle and want specific Pure Breeds.

Hybrids are created at each generation from breeder stock to have specific laying qualities though these days looks and egg colour are also bred for.  However hybrids aren't standardised and don't breed to type and many small breeders have their own specific types which can't be replicated abcross breeders.  You ONLY get hen birds as cocks are useless being no use for breeding from and no use for the table either so are culled early as soon as sexed.   Pure breeds are standarised and breed true to type.  Both cocks and hens are bred as adult birds.  The type standards are set by the Poultry Club of GB.  Pure breeds can be layers, utility or purely showing breeds.  Utility are useful for laying or the table, layers for eggs like hybrids but not so prolific and usually lay for a few more seasons than hybrids.  Show breeds are purely for fanciers for looks, breeding and showing alone.  Most pure breeds have a bantam version which are useful if space is an issue.  They can be good layers but frequently they are show birds only.  Although I believe there are bantam hybrids I can't personally understand the rationale for these as they will only produce small eggs and are no use for showing or the table.

So there you are in a nutshell.  It's horses for courses and it's what you want them for. There's no best buy option!"

HF
« Last Edit: March 22, 2011, 23:13 by hillfooter »
Truth through science.

Pepperpincushion

• Experienced Member
« Reply #28 on: March 20, 2011, 22:23 »
Thanks - yes it seems overall that hybrids are going to suit us best at the moment. I think I will go along to Ark and talk to them and spend some time with the birds they have and see which seem to suit us as far as temperament goes and then just pick what we like the look of  :)

Pepperpincushion

• Experienced Member
« Reply #29 on: March 22, 2011, 21:01 »
Well I have an appointment now for Saturday morning at Ark, so I am going to get my hens then  :)

xx
Do chickens like a buddy of the same colour/type?

Started by SusieB on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post September 01, 2013, 19:44
by SusieB
xx
What type are these?

Started by Chicken_Lover on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post July 22, 2012, 14:40
by Chicken_Lover
xx
Type of hen?

Started by NATHAN on The Hen House

25 Replies
Last post October 26, 2007, 22:55
by Aunt Sally
xx
type of chicken

Started by spoofer28 on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post March 26, 2007, 14:49
by muntjac

Page created in 0.218 seconds with 38 queries.