What Type of Bantams, Please.

• 18 Replies

LittleRedHen

• little red hens egg blog
What Type of Bantams, Please.
« on: January 22, 2014, 12:44 »
Someone unloaded these bantams on us last night.  There's a boy and a girl.  The boy crows already.  It appears that they are full grown but really, really titchy!  We've kept regular chickens for nine year.  Any advise of what I could put in their run for them to make it more homey? 
DSCN2495.JPG
DSCN2496.JPG
When I die I will slide in sideways, a glass of wine in one hand and chocolate in the other, screaming, "Whooo hooo!  What a ride!" as life is to be enjoyed to the fullest!

LittleRedHen

Re: What Type of Bantams, Please.
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2014, 12:52 »
Here's a close-up of them.  Hopefully it will be better!
Christina & Owen.jpg

Willow_Warren

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2014, 13:24 »
Aw.... the girl looks really pretty...

Not clue though I'm afraid!

H :)

barley

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2014, 21:34 »
they look like dutch bantams not fully grown yet - should be about the size of a large thrush
they like jumping on things , maybe a log or two would go down well , and hang a few green on string from the roof to peck at , and maybe a few dead leaves to scratch in  :D

I have a cock and hen and 2 seabrights in that breed they are super cute

heres my boy hes called Rainbow  :D

and heres my girls , Feather , Barley & Tammy - they were about 16 weeks old here

« Last Edit: January 22, 2014, 22:24 by barley »

LittleRedHen

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2014, 07:44 »
I am so very grateful for your wonderful reply.  Your Banties are just beautiful!  Wow!  I have a head of broccoli that I'll hang for them this morning, and I'll put some soft bedding in there, as this time of year, our leaves are a soggy, sad lot.  I was going to put in a solid tree branch for them and as soon as I can get some DRY soil, a flower pot full for a dust bath.  Your gorgeous pictures have taken away my anxiety and replaced it with enthusiasm.  I just can't get over how amasing your hens and cockerel look!  And you're spot on about the size of them.  So today, when I pull up the hatch of their nest box, they'll find a wonderful new little wonderland to live in!  Thank you!   :) :)

LittleRedHen

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2014, 08:32 »
I proudly present the new and improved run that Owen & Christina woke up to this morning.  They seem to be mostly interested in the grower pellets right now but I did see a tiny scratch or two from Owen!  A HUGE thanks to Barley for kick starting me!   :D :D :D
DSCN2497.JPG

barley

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2014, 20:10 »
Little red hen enjoy your new banties

they can be proper characters - I often think they would make a nicer pet than a rabbit for children  :tongue2:

they can live in a smaller box and run than large hens + the bonus of eggs and they get amazingly tame

just one suggestion , maybe lower the broccoli a little , they may struggle to reach it that high LOL ,

Glad you enjoyed the photo's

here's a few more of them all

this is feather , shes the real cheeky one of the bunch

here they are with sandy my little buff rock bantam , she is a small breed too so it gives you an idea how small they are

spot of sun bathing going on here on the dogs blanket

all snuggled up

LittleRedHen

« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2014, 08:08 »
Cheeky little moocher!  That picture is a prize, though!  I just can't get over how beautiful your hens are and how happy.  I tried to lower the broccoli head and it fell.  They were over to it like a shot.  Next on my agenda is a proper dust bath for them.  My other hens are standard and Brahmas.  Although Owen seemed to hold his own (scaring the other hens into a frenzy) when he escaped while being transferred into their hen house.  Both Banties can fly over our hedges, etc.  so I don't see free ranging for them anytime soon.  I feel badly for them as they are stretching their legs a lot.  You're Orpington is a fluff ball and very classic.  They all seem so placid and centered.  Could you please tell me what you feed them?  Right now, I am giving C & O grower pellets, treats of corn, tomato, and whole grain bread crumbs. 

Sassy

« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2014, 08:33 »
You could try clipping a wing each, this may stop them getting over the fence. :)
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

snow white

« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2014, 09:54 »
They are lovely.  Do they lay really small eggs? :)

LittleRedHen

« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2014, 12:29 »
Now that's a thought - clip one wing.  I did this for our other hens when they were just coming into lay and they were flying a bit too.  I guess you could describe the size of the eggs as similar to those of a quail. 

barley

« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2014, 15:52 »
  Could you please tell me what you feed them?  Right now, I am giving C & O grower pellets, treats of corn, tomato, and whole grain bread crumbs.

sound good to me - if mine go in the run they get layers pellets , and a bit of corn before lights out  :tongue2:
but to be honest I don't feed them an awful lot as they free range 90% of the time and seem fat enough on what they find

They are lovely.  Do they lay really small eggs? :)

surprisingly enough snow white they lay a decent egg - when baking a cake instead of using 4 I put 5 in so quite good really

nerdle

• The Lone Free Ranger
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2014, 21:50 »
Beauoootiful hens - wow!  Hen model agency!!!!
One grandma and 4 baby Pekins.

Sassy

« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2014, 09:24 »
Bread not best to feed them on as can contain a lot of salt. Layers pellets ad lib with a handful of corn before going to bed is great :)

LittleRedHen

« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2014, 10:53 »
We give our hens corn before they go to bed too.  I make my own bread, so I really watch how much salt goes into it.   ;)

xx
Bantams

Started by Craig69 on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post May 21, 2010, 20:32
by Craig69
xx
Are they Bantams

Started by georget on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post August 12, 2014, 22:13
by grinling
xx
bantams ?

Started by littlefeat on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post October 18, 2007, 21:40
by littlefeat
xx
bantams

Started by cammi on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post February 16, 2011, 06:47
by Casey76

Page created in 0.244 seconds with 36 queries.