Introducing new girls to an old one!

• 9 Replies

dilsdaisy

Introducing new girls to an old one!
« on: January 31, 2011, 13:50 »
Hi .. I am a bit of a newbie to Chicken Keeping after inheriting a couple of  3 year old Light Sussex hens and a Cockerel a few months ago ....now thanks to Mr Fox we have one hen and Cockerel is off to his new home at weekend due to being too loud even for our understanding neighbours. so our hen needs some company..
Thing is we are off to look at some new POL's tomorrow but due to work etc can only pick them up in mornings .. we have a large convetrted shed as a chicken house with an attached run , I know it is ideal to place new hens in at dusk but this isn't going to be possible  ..so how do I do it ..can I just pop them in together or is that asking for BIG trouble ??? ....
Thanks for your patience !
1x Light Sussex, 1 x Brahma, 1x Buff Orpington, 2 x cats , 2 x guinea pigs, 4 x kids , 1 x husband

PaulineM

Re: Introducing new girls to an old one!
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2011, 15:30 »
Hi
Welcome to the site  :)
Old fashioned keepers would probably just put them in and let them fight it out.  :(
Most people on here would favour a more gradual introduction.
If you put the newbies in they will probably bully your existing hen  :(
If you can seperate them off even with a some wire fencing or something so they can see each other but not fight. It is also recommended that the new girls should be quarantined for 2 or 3 weeks if possible.
Anti-pecking spray on hand would be very useful as well, Good luck  :)
1 Hubby, 2 children, 2 Welsummers, 1 Leghorn Banty, 1 Wyandotte Banty, 1 Barnevelder, 2 Isa Brown, 1 Rhode Island, 1 Goldline,1 Maran, 2 Mottled Leghorns, 1 Leghorn cockerel & 2 Jack Russells

orchardlady

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2011, 15:39 »
I would strongly advise that you do not put any new hens with your originals immediately. Before you buy any new birds either purchase or make another house and run that you can put any new birds in as a temporary quarantine section. Ensure all your birds can see each other but not have any contact. Keep your quarantined birds in their new run for roughly 3 weeks just ensure they are not the carriers of any infectious problems. Try to feed your new and old birds at the same time and any scattered corn in the afternoon is down at the same time. Bring the new birds closer and closer over the three week period so eventually you are feeding them all almost in the same place but with wire between each group. This way you will ensure that when you put your new birds into the main hen house there will be the minimum of distress and stress caused to both groups. Try to imagine your next door neighbour shoving his smelly and  irritating cousin through our front door and saying he is coming to live with you...how would you feel? At a guess not good!
It may appear an added expense but this quarantine house and run will serve you well later either as a future quarantine area, a hospital wing (excuse the pun) or a broodie coup.

If you put new hens in with your present hens immediately you are running a very real risk of passing on infectious problems, horrible, horrible, fighting and having all round stressed birds.

Best of luck and remember slowly and gently is the best option.

OL

dilsdaisy

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2011, 17:49 »
Thanks for your replies ... so if we leave it a while whilst building quarantine house/run etc would she ( feel free to chuckle at my naivety :blush:) get lonely or would she be okay for a week/10 days with just humans for company?

SusieB

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2011, 07:43 »
I was advised by my vet to wait a few weeks before buying a mate for my last chicken, to see whether she succombed to the disease which got her buddies.  I assume therefore, 10 days should be fine.  She seemed to tootle around alright on her own. 

I must admit I did have her in the kitchen with me some of the time, which she loved, but I am sure this was because kitchen = cat food and warmth rather than my company. 

Jeanette

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2011, 11:09 »
I am sorry but 10 days is not really long enough i would leave it for at least another week.

dilsdaisy

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2011, 20:36 »
as far as I know Maggie is in good health.. her mate decided to go beyond her normal free ranging and we couldn't find her before dark , eventually found a pile of white 'Betty' feathers down the lane  :( and Rodney the Cockerel is in fine fettle just waaayy too loud to convince the neighbour that we could keep him !

Hoping to get some sort of quarantine area inside the main chicken house/run by weekend... so will see how it goes

Although I am sure Maggie would love it in the kitchen!  :)

rachelr

« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2011, 20:42 »
I got a rabbit cage on free cycle and split the run in half then placed the feed dished either side of the mesh so they could chat while eating.

I left them for a week and that was enough but maybe i was lucky. ps i did this twice and never lost any. the only trouble i had was i needed the purple spray for the ex bats i rescued.

dilsdaisy

« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2011, 20:45 »
ooh great idea.. off to look at Freecycle ! thanks  :D

SusieB

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2011, 07:45 »
I must write clearer posts.  I wasn't trying to say 10 days quarantine should be fine (I am no expert), just that 10 days on her own, till she got a new mate, should be fine.

Having a chicken making herself at home in the kitchen can take visitors by surprise. 

xx
introducing new girls

Started by snow white on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post September 26, 2012, 11:14
by Pig Cat
xx
Introducing my girls

Started by Wyandottie on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post April 14, 2009, 14:30
by Wyandottie
xx
Introducing new girls.

Started by Hawkins on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post October 27, 2008, 20:51
by karlooben
xx
Introducing new girls

Started by AmandaH on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post April 03, 2012, 16:31
by Craig69

Page created in 0.255 seconds with 28 queries.