introducing new girls

• 6 Replies

snow white

introducing new girls
« on: September 22, 2012, 14:41 »
At the end of Oct, my two chooks will be moving on to my allotment. 
I would like to add two more to my flock for more eggs.  Do I do it now and integrate them slowly OR should I just move them all in together when they move to fresh pastures.  Comments please, or experiences...

darkbrowneggs

• Experienced Member
    • Dark Brown Eggs
Re: introducing new girls
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2012, 17:24 »
I would put them all into the new pen together, then no-one has rights of possession, which should help them bond as they will all be newcomers together.

It might be worth worming your own girls before the move, then they will all be on fresh ground as well
I love my traditional clean legged English Cuckoo Marans

Sassy

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2012, 09:28 »
It may be worth, if there are a few skirmishes, putting some extra feeding and watering stations out. This can often sort or ease things :)
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

snow white

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2012, 09:34 »
It may be worth, if there are a few skirmishes, putting some extra feeding and watering stations out. This can often sort or ease things :)

Good idea.

andy46

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2012, 20:16 »
I bought two girls yesterday and put them in with my thelma and louise straight away (was told to by a farmer friend) i also put out some more feeders/drinkers and whithin a couple of hours they where running around all together.There has been a bit pecking but nothing bad just doing the pecking order.today everything has been fine :) :)
Pull up a perch!!

Sassy

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2012, 09:47 »
It is usually better to add them in the evening, directly into the hen hut, once they have gone to bed and settled down.  This means by morning they have got used to the new smells etc. It is not foolproof but can go a very long way to keeping things calm.

It is also best to keep new chooks separate for 2 or 3 weeks just to ensure they are not going to introduce anything nasty to your existing flock. :)

Pig Cat

« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2012, 11:14 »
I totally agree about spreading food and water about the run for new arrivals. My old guard were not keen on sharing the food with the new hens recently. By scattering pellets all over and putting a couple of small buckets out with water in there was enough for all of them. I am now considering when to stop this and buy a proper hen feeder that they can all share. I need recommendations so I'll start a new thread...

xx
Introducing 3 new girls

Started by 3Bluebelles on The Hen House

24 Replies
Last post March 30, 2009, 22:01
by shiatsusu
xx
Introducing new girls

Started by AmandaH on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post April 03, 2012, 16:31
by Craig69
xx
Introducing my girls

Started by Wyandottie on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post April 14, 2009, 14:30
by Wyandottie
xx
Introducing new girls.

Started by Hawkins on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post October 27, 2008, 20:51
by karlooben

Page created in 0.245 seconds with 36 queries.