Introducing new girls

• 10 Replies

AmandaH

• Experienced Member
Introducing new girls
« on: April 02, 2012, 07:41 »
Looking for some advice, please.

I have had four ex-batts for almost three years now. However, I have lost two over the last couple of months - Queenie I just found passed away in the run one day and Elsie was PTS at the vets a few weeks ago, so only Mavis and Dolly remained.

I spoke to the BHWT who said now would be a good time for get four more. Four weaker birds against two bigger stronger ones should be a good balance. They said I would need to keep them separate in the day but they could sleep together at night (they said I didn't need to worry about quarantine as, although ex-batts/caged birds are weak and tatty and look unwell, they are medicated against nasties by the farmer so are no health threat to my existing girls).

So, picked up for new girls yesterday. Put the new girls in a run within the existing run. Waited until dusk and then put the new girls in the coop, leaving the door open for my two to head in when they were ready. Then it all went wrong. Two of the new ones promptly came out of the coop, shot down the ramp and had an almighty punch-up with Dolly and Mavis. Got in there and kept them apart until they each went into the coop and settled down.

Went down early this morning and lifted the new ones out of the coop into their separate run. Dolly and Mavis clearly unhappy. Dolly wouldn't come out of the house at all, until I bought her porridge out.

So...how to proceed? Is it inevitable that there will be fighting? Should I let them just get on with it? Should I shut the new ones in the coop at dusk and take my two elsewhere? I thought it would be the new ones that would get beaten up by mine but it's the other way around!

Feel really bad for Dolly and Mavis.

Any advice gratefully received...

Craig69

• Experienced Member
  • Kinder - Cadbury & Little One ~ Newton Abbot
    • Jellyfish Window Cleaning
Re: Introducing new girls
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2012, 07:56 »
I've just introduced 2 new ones to mine (not ex-bats) & had to put the new ones in the coop last night as they wouldn't go in. Mine went straight in the run with the others as these new ones have had their medication & vaccinations.
There was a bit of a commotion minutes after I put them in, then it settled down.
I left the coop door open for them as I normally do over night.
This morning my new ones were hiding round under the nesting boxes whilst the other 2 were happy munching away.
I have 2 water drinkers & food containers apart from each other & found my 2 girls I already had, 1 at each feeder   :wub:
It isn't nice to see the pecking order find itself, but have been told by a couple of people near me that it will soon sort itself out within a few days.
I have not introduced new girls to existing ones before so know how you feel

AmandaH

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2012, 08:22 »
Thanks for your reply Craig. It's horrible!

D&M have now retreated around the side of the house (I let them out of the run and into the garden, so they could get away from the others completely, even though there was a fence between them). They can't even see each other now so that's probably the worst thing to do.

Really don't know what to do for the best :-(

Craig69

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2012, 08:31 »
Perhaps putting your new ones back in the run you 1st had them in so they can been seen but not got at.
Think I read that somewhere on here.
I'm thinking about doing that myself, but a guy down from me who is really up on his hens told me to just leave them & it will sort itself out.

chookboy

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2012, 19:47 »
I've put 2 new POL hens in with 2 ex-batts, no problem.
The ex-batts and then Miss Pepperpot passed away,
so we put 2 new POL hens in with the solitary white leghorn - no problems.
We then introduced 3 more ex-batts - I put a temporary  divider down the run and the coop, and they lived together, but separated by chicken wire for about 3 days I think. Then, one night I removed the barriers, and they were all together able to free-range in the garden. No probs at all.

The only reason I segregated them at all, was I thought the new ex-batts would be quite a bit weaker than Pacha, the dominant white leghorn, & a couple days of all seeing each other through the wire seemed to do the trick.

They must all be happy, as we're getting 5 or 6 eggs a day at the moment. :D

Craig69

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2012, 08:35 »
How's things going Amanda?
My new ones are still being bullied away from feeders & are chased back when they try & go out to the uncovered part of the run.
Again last night they were stopped going in the coop by the other 2 who have taken to sleeping by the door.
I made them a make do bed last night with a large flowerpot filled with straw & put it elsewhere in the sheltered part of the run.

Anyone have any other advice on what to do?
Leave them as they are or keep them apart but in view of each other?

« Last Edit: April 03, 2012, 08:45 by Craig69 »

kopperdrake

• Experienced Member
  • One Step at a Time
    • Merrybower Homestead
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2012, 10:26 »
We've got a flock of only 8, though it went to 12 at one stage. It's been a mix of rescue, bought, donated (long-term fostered) and found (cockerel on the lane!). In my experience the best way was to make a temporary home up for the new chooks right next to the existing ones. For example, we had a couple of new hybrids so I built a nest box out of wood, with a perch on top, and that all fitted into a large black compost bin. This was then placed into a run about 4 square meters for the two chooks for a couple of weeks, with some of that green workers fence mesh (usually you see it orange-coloured by road works), in between them all. This way they got to see each other for a few weeks. Then we let them range together, although they're in a large grassy paddock, but they used to go back to their own beds. Eventually we removed their compost bin and plopped them into the coop at night time, making sure we were up early enough to open it before fights ensued inside, for a few days until they got used to their new home, and the existing chooks to them.

Whilst they're all one flock now, under the jurisdiction of the cockerel who just ended up living with us, at one stage we had our original 4-bird coop, an 8-bird coop for some foster chooks we took on (and the lady never came back), and the compost bin for the new arrivals. All would range together in the day happily, and go back to their own coops at night. Lots of fresh grass and/or different feeders were the answer I think - space to get away if needed and to avoid confrontation. Now they're all in one large 12-bird coop and tend to hug each other down one end like a big happy family :) Mind you - the cockerel does keep them in their place - best thing that ever happened to us all - I'm amazed at how caring they are to their ladies! Last to eat, calls them over if he's found a juicy worm - he picks it up and drops it and squawks, pointing to it for them. And then when they're eating he'll stand guard. A right gentleman (well - unless he's howsyerfathering, in which case he's a bit rough) :)

kegs

« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2012, 10:30 »
Stick with it and they will eventually settle down.  If you can put them into the coop at night rather than the flowerpot it would help them integrate sooner.  Wait until the ones blocking the door are sleepy and then gently nudge them out of the way.

Also it might be a good idea to get some extra feeders and drinkers if they are being kept away from them as they can't guard them all.  Good luck and persevere. 

Craig69

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2012, 13:00 »
Tried putting them in the house once the others are sleeping, but they wake up as soon as the new ones come through the door.
Just been to check on them now & the new ones are perching in the house whilst the others are outside.
They aren't constantly attacking them, they just grab the back of their necks & chase them off if they go anywhere where they are.
So the 2 new ones are keeping away.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2012, 13:12 »
pretty normal behaviour, just make sure they have some hiding places (large branches help) several feeders and drinkers and in 2-3 weeks al should be well  :)
Staffies are softer than you think.

Craig69

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2012, 16:31 »
I have just now shut the new girls in the run inside the main run which is there to use as a hospital run.
Have only done this as I take some warm veg & sweetcorn up in the afternoon for them & my old girls are pinching the new girls veg.
The old girls really didn't look impressed with me when they realised I'd locked the new ones in with their veg  :D
At least I know the new ones are eating something.

This afternoon I also made a box with a big nesting box inside & a perch on the top as Kopperdrake mentioned in their post.

« Last Edit: April 03, 2012, 16:38 by Craig69 »

xx
Introducing my girls

Started by Wyandottie on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post April 14, 2009, 14:30
by Wyandottie
xx
Introducing new girls.

Started by Hawkins on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post October 27, 2008, 20:51
by karlooben
xx
introducing new girls

Started by snow white on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post September 26, 2012, 11:14
by Pig Cat
xx
Introducing the Dog to the Girls ?

Started by stanlmic on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post March 31, 2009, 20:06
by karlooben

Page created in 0.99 seconds with 37 queries.