Introducing the Dog to the Girls ?

• 3 Replies

stanlmic

Introducing the Dog to the Girls ?
« on: March 30, 2009, 19:01 »
We've had 3 girls now for just over a week and they have settled nicely. Currently they have their own run but we'd like to let them roam in the garden eventually, but, we also have a youngish dog (2 1/2yrs ). Does anyone have any tips on how to introduce them, the dog currently watches the girls through the mesh - i think she is just fascinated as she's not seen them before.

Kym503

• Experienced Member
Re: Introducing the Dog to the Girls ?
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2009, 18:05 »
I'm no expert but I introduced my dog (a cocker spaniel) to the hens by firstly letting them see each other through the wire for a few days.  I then let the hens out onto the lawn with the dog on an extendable lead and me sat in a chair watching.  After an hour I was confident enough to let the dog off the lead but stayed with them.  Gradually over a week I was able to let the hens free range and the dog has full use of the dog flap.  Now the hens come into the kitchen given half a chance and will eat dog food out of the dogs bowl .  Poor Pippa doesn't stand a chance!

However - no two dogs are alike and I've had others in the past who I don't think I would ever have trusted like this.  It's great when they do get on like this as I'm confident Pippa would see a fox off if one came sniffing around.

spiderchick

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2009, 19:35 »
hi,
we have a dog and four cats and my chickens rule our garden!
the older cats are not bothered but the two younger ones find them fasinating. unfortunatley for them the chickens dont like them and chase them round the garden and have cornered one of them(we did laugh and had to rescue the cat)!!!
the dog is in awe of them and watchs them from afar but if he gets to close they chase him too!!!
we do try to help them to get on ie. when i have them on my lap or am holding them i call billy(the dog) but they wont have it and just want to chase him.
none of the animals have ever tried to hurt the chickens but i dont know if its different for other breeds(my dog is just a mongral)
i do give them all a fuss so they dont feel left out and try to treat them all the same(i must sound a bit sad :lol:)

i think the best thing is to introduce them and watch and see how they get on!!!
maybe someone else will have some other advice but i have never had a problem!!!

good luck :)

karlooben

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2009, 20:06 »
u guys are lucky being able to so that , i could trust my jack russell hes a right wimp well he did help raise 17 kittens  :lol: :lol:.
but my pup who could have anything like collie , staff , lab , pitbull , lurcher , greyhound and god knows what else in him i would not trust at all :(he literally ate my cat which is why she moved out and as now had to be adopted by friends .
"Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened."

xx
Introducing new girls.

Started by Hawkins on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post October 27, 2008, 20:51
by karlooben
xx
Introducing new girls

Started by AmandaH on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post April 03, 2012, 16:31
by Craig69
xx
Introducing 3 new girls

Started by 3Bluebelles on The Hen House

24 Replies
Last post March 30, 2009, 22:01
by shiatsusu
xx
Introducing new girls to an old one!

Started by dilsdaisy on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post February 02, 2011, 07:45
by SusieB

Page created in 0.223 seconds with 27 queries.