Introducing new girls.

• 7 Replies

Hawkins

Introducing new girls.
« on: October 26, 2008, 23:12 »
I know this topic has probably been talked to death but I would still like a little reassurance please.

I have 5 girls that live in an old large garden shed with 50m of electric fencing around them over the field and I have just had (1 week ago) 7 ex battery hens.

The plan was to keep the 7 ex-bats at the house for about a month to get well and feather up and then take them over the field to join the others. The question is

Do I take them over sooner
Do I take them over in 2 groups, say 4 in about another week or 2 and then take the final 3 over a week or so after that.
Or do I take them all over in one group to just get on with it and how soon should this be.

Sorry for all the questions just wondering whats best to do for the girls.

Em
Em  

We dont stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Roughlee Handled

Introducing new girls.
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2008, 08:03 »
Personally Hawkins I would do it in one big lump.  It means there are more targets for the established group.  But the ex batts you will find will stick together as they should have bonded into a group/ groups.  So do not split them up.  Please if possible have lots of feeding stations. When I have done intro's I have had three.  Most squabbling will happen at night when they go into the coop and around the feeders.  
If you can move your fenceing may I suggest that you round off your corners so noone can be "cornered".
If all the ex bats can move ok then let them get together.  
It is gonna be fun and games when you put them together anyway, so do it when ever but may I suggest a weekend when you can be there just in case.  Put them all together at night in the coop, when it is dark, say Friday.
Stuart

Dont worry I am just paranoid duckie.

If I get the wrong end of the stick its because I have speed read. Honest.

Blar blar blar blar snorrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrre.

Hawkins

Introducing new girls.
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2008, 12:12 »
Thanks roughly. I'm lucky as i work 4 on 4 off so will have plenty of time to watch them. I'll wait another week or two and then bite the bullet. Purple spray at the ready.

Many thanks

Roughlee Handled

Introducing new girls.
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2008, 12:15 »
Just to mention I have only intro'ed Chucks three times and but have never had to use purple spray.   But I am paranoid and always have it to hand.

peewee_lane

Introducing new girls.
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2008, 13:16 »
I had read up on introducing chucks before, but I just let the newbies in throught the nesting box, they found their way down the stairs and to the food.

The second time I did this, there was one 20 minute session of 1 hen, the head of the pecking order giving out murder about the newbies.

I am planning on doing it again this week, I dont have the space to intriduce and seperate. I distract the older girls with a head of lettuce and plenty of goodies.

Hawkins

Introducing new girls.
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2008, 13:29 »
will definately have lots of distractions, lettuce, nice big tomatoes and meal worms.

Keep me update Peewee on how the new introductons go.

Bodger

Introducing new girls.
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2008, 13:44 »
Everything is down so much to the individual temperament of the chickens. Some are placid, whilst other are vindictive little beggars. There's no hard and fast rule.

karlooben

Introducing new girls.
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2008, 20:51 »
i have 13 old girls { well had them a few months now } but i have just got 7 more ex batts that were rescued about 1 month before mine , they are very quiet and put themsleves to bed before i get to them and my 13 are pretty scatty girls so i am worried like hell for saturday when i let them out together for the first time .i ttok today of work to keep an eye on them an there was only a few scraps though the fencing { blocked the run 3 ways as i got 5 week olds as well} . but i think i will let all the adults out together at 6 am then that way they have all day to get any rucks out of thier systems before bed but i will be ready with the grass , treats an just about anything else .
"Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened."

xx
Introducing 3 new girls

Started by 3Bluebelles on The Hen House

24 Replies
Last post March 30, 2009, 22:01
by shiatsusu
xx
Introducing new girls to an old one!

Started by dilsdaisy on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post February 02, 2011, 07:45
by SusieB
xx
Introducing new girls

Started by AmandaH on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post April 03, 2012, 16:31
by Craig69
xx
Introducing my girls

Started by Wyandottie on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post April 14, 2009, 14:30
by Wyandottie

Page created in 0.267 seconds with 27 queries.