Large Snake

• 13 Replies

T C

• Experienced Member
Large Snake
« on: October 26, 2008, 18:57 »
SUNBATHING not far from the henhouse was a huge big snake, it was at least 2 metres long, are snakes any danger to the hens, or will the hens attack it, our big GSD was afraid of the snake, it was to big for him to deal with. TC
T C TOP CAT

Vember

Large Snake
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2008, 19:04 »
:shock:
Hi TC
Suppose it could be a problem do you know what type it was ?
I know we have adders around, touch wood never had any problems although they'd take chicks I'm sure  :(

Sarah :)

T C

• Experienced Member
Large Snake
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2008, 19:16 »
Hi Sarah dont think it was a adder, im told adders are not very long, i would say avery large grass snake, we do have some really big ones here, i have found the shed skin of a huge snake in the almond grove, that is living somewhere around, and they can get into the smallest of gaps, i dont know if a hen would attack a snake, although our hens have had thier beaks trimed, i didnt do it, its a thing the spanish seem to do, i have never seen a hen here that hasnt had it done, i would much rather have a hen with its beak intact. TC

Vember

Large Snake
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2008, 19:19 »
Ooooo
wouldn't like to say whether they'd go for it or not  :?
I don't like it when they trim their beaks  :(  I have a couple that have had it done :(

Sarah

SnooziSuzi

• Facebook
Large Snake
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2008, 19:30 »
I'd say that the snake probably would go for the hens, although they may be a bit fast for it!

A quick google on snake types might help you to identify if it is a threat or not...  what did it look like?

T C

• Experienced Member
Large Snake
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2008, 19:39 »
It was dark greyish green, with  a darker pattern on it, it was laying near a pile of weeds that i had pulled, i must say it was more than just a pile of weeds, it was more of a heap, including grape vines, all twisted into each other, the snake disapeared into this heap, id say a grass snake, we dont have any really dangrous snakes, the adder, which lives high up, we do get them if the rains come really strong, and they get washed down, although i do know that someone lost a leg, a grass snake bit him, had a dirty mouth after eating something like a rat, sent his leg bad TC

Vember

Large Snake
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2008, 19:47 »

T C

• Experienced Member
Large Snake
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2008, 19:51 »
Well Sarah, it did look a bit like that, but much more colourfull, and more pattened TC

Jellyhead

Large Snake
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2008, 20:40 »
We had a large snake over here earlier in the year TC. It turned out to be a big grass snake tho because it was so colourful I was convinced it was something else!!!
Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!!

FCG

Large Snake
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2008, 21:57 »
I think you had an encounter with a smooth snake. Did it look anything like this?

It could be either a smooth snake or a southern smooth snake. Where abouts are you in spain?

LINK

T C

• Experienced Member
Large Snake
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2008, 22:06 »
Hi FCG it was much greener but the markings were like the photo, and very large, what worries me is the size of this snake, and others ive seen, plus the huge skin, that was somethig elese, i shudder when i even think about, well would they eat a hen,

muntjac

Large Snake
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2008, 09:29 »
grass snakes wont touch ur hens they are much to big for them they sometimes have taken eggs of small birds but usually aquatic stuff is there preffered food .incidently they are all protected and messing with them can get ya a VERY  heavy fine and smooth snakes are lizards really so no worry there.  :wink:
still alive /............

T C

• Experienced Member
Large Snake
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2008, 21:11 »
No worry about me messing with a snake, im off in the oppisite direction, rapido, i will ask the old Spanish guy when i see him, what sort of snake it is, my husband saw it today, so it must be living in the garden, see them a lot in the vine yard, and we have a couple in the house.

FCG

Large Snake
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2008, 22:49 »
Sounds like it's a large smooth snake then. Your elderly neighbour will know what they are most likely. Wonder if they make good eating..

xx
Snake!!!!!

Started by jinty1911 on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post April 04, 2011, 14:43
by joyfull
xx
Hens were fighting over a small snake this morning!

Started by Oliveview on The Hen House

15 Replies
Last post June 23, 2008, 16:34
by Kate and her Ducks
xx
very large egg

Started by Flump on The Hen House

15 Replies
Last post March 19, 2010, 18:54
by dizzylizzie
xx
Very Very very Large Egg

Started by Vivian on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post June 09, 2010, 23:37
by greenun

Page created in 0.243 seconds with 37 queries.