Messy feathers + Other questions

• 9 Replies

IanExMachina

Messy feathers + Other questions
« on: January 30, 2011, 21:56 »
Firstly hello!

I've only been keeping chickens about 6 months, and so would like some advice on them.

After having 2 out of 3 chickens not survive over winter (for different reasons, one had can cancer of the bowels/intestines, the other just as far as I could work out couldn't deal with the cold.) so I recently got 2 more.

The three chickens I have now are all Neras, the two new ones are pullets/on the edge of starting to lay, whereas the one that survived winter is laying regularly.

However they seem to different degrees have messy feathers near their vents. I don't know why and as I don't want to lose any of them I would like some advice on why they are messy and how to stop it if possible.  :)

Additional info about the hens that may or not be important:
- The older one is still laying regularly.
- They all seem happy and active, none look hunched up I've looked for mites and i'm sure they are mite free. (I plan on re powdering/treating their house just to be sure)
- They have layer's pellets as their diet with anything they dig up/eat in the garden (also they will occasionally get vegetable scraps.)

Thanks in advance!

D

• Experienced Member
  • Bella
Re: Messy feathers + Other questions
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2011, 12:43 »
It probably doesn't help to much, but in the FAQ questions section of the forum there is an article on chicken manure, stating what's healthy and whats not. It may be worth having a look there and comparing to what your birds have.

IanExMachina

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2011, 17:42 »
:o How did I miss the whole FAQ section *facepalm*

Thanks for the suggestion, overall the chicken droppings appear the normal white and grey type with the occasional yellowy one which according to the faq thread is normal.

I've given the hens Verm-x worming stuff a fortnight ago, however I'm a tiny bit unsure whether it is any good so I may use the Flubenvet wormer just in case.

Although I'm still unsure as to the messy feathers.

dilsdaisy

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2011, 18:09 »
Hi .. new to all this too , but mine has a messy bottom partly due to her very fluffy 'knickers' but also she doesn't roost on the roosting bars and instead prefers to sit in her nest box where she also poo's away til her hearts content and sits in it .. maybe thats what yours are doing?
1x Light Sussex, 1 x Brahma, 1x Buff Orpington, 2 x cats , 2 x guinea pigs, 4 x kids , 1 x husband

IanExMachina

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2011, 18:25 »
Hi .. new to all this too , but mine has a messy bottom partly due to her very fluffy 'knickers' but also she doesn't roost on the roosting bars and instead prefers to sit in her nest box where she also poo's away til her hearts content and sits in it .. maybe thats what yours are doing?

!! The two new girls are still just pullets and I've opened to coop to them sitting in the nest box at night sometimes. (My older girl roosts on the roost) I do hope this is right.

Sassy

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2011, 08:30 »
:oI've given the hens Verm-x worming stuff a fortnight ago, however I'm a tiny bit unsure whether it is any good so I may use the Flubenvet wormer just in case.

Definitely use Flubenvet :happy:
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

ManicMum

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2011, 08:57 »
All the 5 ex-batts that we got (2 prev owners since their battery days) sleep in the nest boxes so sleep in poo - several have mucky bum feathers but seem quite happy otherwise.

I'm planning to block off the boxes overnight when they're more settled and the weather is milder, but they look so cosy cuddled up together or in individual cubicles!
ManicMum

Jeanette

« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2011, 11:05 »
I would worm them with Flubenvet. Sometimes they just dont drop there knickers low enough. When my girls get a dirty bum i just pop them into some warm water and using a pair of plastic gloves get it all of them. Dry them with a towel and a hair dryer on the low heat. They dont mind you doing this and they must feel much better after. It is important to make sure they are clean in the warmer weather to stop fly strick

IanExMachina

« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2011, 22:45 »
Thank you for all your advice!  :)

I will give them a wash this weekend, I will also give start them on the Flubenvet.

Hopefully last question:

With the flubenvet I've been learning from my mistakes and browsing the forums, buT i just want to make sure I've got the dosing right.

For 3 chickens with flubenvet 1%, I can grab a 'pinch' of the wormer and add it to a food they'll like and eat up, once a day for 7 days?

Thanks again :)

Casey76

« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2011, 06:37 »
For the flubenvet 1% it comes with a scoop which measures 6g of medication out. 

Mesure 2kg of layers pellets out into a small sealable bin or tin.  Sprinkle one scoop of the flubenvet over the top.  Put the lid on and give it a good shake up.

For the next week, feed your hens exclusively from this tin.  No treats, no corn, nothing else.

Give the tin/bin a good shake before putting a measure out to make sure the medication is distributed over the pellets, and hasn't sunk to the bottom of the container.

If you run out before the week comes to an end, repeat the measuring out.

Simple and less time consuming than trying to ensure each girl has one treat with the medication on it every day :)

xx
Mucky bum, messy feathers - all clear today

Started by poultrygeist on The Hen House

19 Replies
Last post May 09, 2008, 19:27
by poultrygeist
xx
messy poo

Started by mikebucks on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post March 02, 2008, 21:54
by poultrygeist
xx
messy bottoms

Started by welshthistle on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post February 03, 2011, 21:09
by welshthistle
xx
Messy bottom!!

Started by mummychick on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post February 09, 2012, 08:40
by Sassy

Page created in 0.296 seconds with 37 queries.