Planning for next year

• 48 Replies

New shoot

• Global Moderator
Planning for next year
« on: December 29, 2010, 16:31 »
Got my seeds all in order and a list of sowing dates.  Next step is to try and plan out the plot to fit it all in.  I'm determined to try and got a proper succession of veg this year - it's a kind of New Years resolution  :lol:

What are your plans for the new season or are you all organised already  ;)

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
Re: Planning for next year
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2010, 16:47 »
As you New Shoot, necessary seeds and seed potatoes are ordered, sowing dates noted but actual planting location plan still not finalised.

:)
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

sazhig

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2010, 17:00 »
I've sorted all my seeds (all 190 packets of them :ohmy:) into month sections in their tray so I know roughly what I need to sow and when. I garden by the lunar cycles so just go to the current month in the tray and pick out all the relevant seeds for that day and sow them. I have also done a rotation plan for the whole plot but whether I'll actually stick to it depends on how far up the plot we manage to dig as not much got done this year before the weather drove us away. I'm now thinking warm thoughts so the snow melts faster and I can actually get up there to potter about...
Saz

snowdrops

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2010, 17:06 »
Hi I've also sorted all my seeds into each month. I did that last year but still didn't get everything in on time. I've been to the lotttie today. It looked so sad & neglected. There was even water frozen in the shed where I'd left a bottle on the shelf for a drink.Never mind I dug up parsnips & leeks for dinner.Then I came home & thought about planting plans for next year
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

Christine

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2010, 17:51 »
Gosh I thought planning for next year started in November when I started to clear and turn over the soil, turn and move compost heaps, check pots and canes, have the final bonfire of the year and do the annual check of tools and supplies of basic things like rubbish sacks, twine and fertilisers.

Seeds and sowing dates come along about now when the backwork is done. That is the job for this week.

AndyRVTR

« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2010, 18:18 »
Seems to be a common idea that I picked up a few years ago too, simple and best as far as I'm concerened, which is to sort all my seeds into each month in my seed box and sow when due. Luckily all the groundwork is done on the plot and I mostly know what I'm going to plant when, where and what will follow on...  :) :)

Y.E.A.H

• I love growing unusual vegetables!
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2010, 18:41 »
i've ordered my seed catalogues, i know what seeds i need so that's good, but i've still got to do the planting plan!

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2010, 18:47 »
I do a slight variation.

Seeds are in a tin in alphabetical order, (apart from beans & peas) and I work off a list in date order.

Years ago I used to meticulously plan the plots, but something always cropped up. Now I just carry previous layouts in my head and go with the flow.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Babstreefern

« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2010, 19:16 »
I did the heavy digging back in October, so that's one job done :happy:;

I've yet to move my goosegog bushes, but the weather closed in far too fast :unsure:;

I go through the packets of seeds, and put the planting date (usually Fridays so I can do the job during the weekends) in my calendar so that when I log into my computer, it pops up as a reminder to do it :D;

My first planting though is my garlic - really, really late this year, again because of the bad weather - the ground has been rock hard :(;

And last but not least, my first official planting of 2011 - my onion seeds this week :D
Babs

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2010, 20:10 »
I do a slight variation.

Seeds are in a tin in alphabetical order, (apart from beans & peas) and I work off a list in date order.

Years ago I used to meticulously plan the plots, but something always cropped up. Now I just carry previous layouts in my head and go with the flow.

Is that because you have to have a separate tin for all the peas  ;)  :lol:

DD.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2010, 20:33 »
One tin (Quality Street size) and 3 margarine tubs.

Plus 6 packets of heritage seed awaiting cultivating.

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2010, 22:00 »
My seeds are in alphabetical order too.   I used to store them in "Sowing order" but then I screwed-up up successional sowing - I got a packet in the wrong place in the tin and it was overlooked and consequently we only had a very late crop that year!

So now I have a separate list with sowing times, including each sowing of successional crops, and I then just have to find the seed packet in the tin.

I also think this helps with reordering too - empty packets, or packets which are nearly empty, are noted on a list I keep in my wallet which is then handy when the seed sales start (in my case Wyevale 50p sale at the end of August, but there are earlier 50% off sales too)

DD.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2010, 22:04 »
Successional sowing like you, Kristen, is one of the reasons for alphabetical order. I too used to overlook it until I adopted this system.

My sowing list has the words "AND SUCCESSIONS" in bold after the first sowing. It pokes you in the eye everytime you look at it.

Sweet Pea 2

• Experienced Member
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2010, 09:23 »
Compost Queen, where are you for Leeks to be OK?  I haven't been to lottie since the big freeze and assumed they would be gonners.   :)

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2010, 09:54 »
Leeks are amazingly hardy Sweetpea.  You might have a nice surprise on the plot waiting for you  :D  Mine came through last years snow without even blinking.

xx
Planning for next year already

Started by New shoot on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post December 12, 2023, 17:25
by missmoneypenny
xx
Planning for next year

Started by Nikkithefoot on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post December 26, 2007, 20:09
by Sally A
xx
Planning for next year already....am I mad?

Started by shay on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post June 05, 2009, 20:10
by richyrich7
xx
Planning for next year.

Started by LivvyW on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post September 28, 2008, 13:12
by Robin Redbreast

Page created in 0.699 seconds with 29 queries.