• 48 Replies

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
Re: Planning for next year
« Reply #30 on: December 30, 2010, 15:57 »
that's a wicked swoe hoe hoe  :D

My turn to be jealous now!
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

Yabba

« Reply #31 on: December 30, 2010, 16:51 »
I'm going to try something else next year

Note to self : It's next year, not this year ;-S

¥

Nige2Plots

« Reply #32 on: December 30, 2010, 19:54 »
As you New Shoot, necessary seeds and seed potatoes are ordered, sowing dates noted but actual planting location plan still not finalised.

:)

And today in the post arrives a Thompson & Morgan catalogue full of gorgeous things and accompanied by a £10.00 voucher. Must resist!

:lol:

How come you got a £10 voucher and I only got a fiver? :mad:

Spent it already on seeds I didn't really need.
A free packet of seeds for me !!!!!!! If I place an order before the 21st Jan 2011.
Happy Days............Not.

shay

« Reply #33 on: December 31, 2010, 00:26 »
Awaiting my seed catalogues after securing my plot just last week.

Have lost to do before then like fencing off the plot, space for the car, polytunnel up and then the arduous task of digging over the plot. Luckily the site is fairly small but it does have a regular amount of manure delivered and there is quite a bit of well rotted stuff so can dig some in straight off the bat.

Already done a plan of what I want where, so now its a case of me getting the digging done for that to work.

1st time veg grower

• Experienced Member
« Reply #34 on: December 31, 2010, 11:30 »
I also have all my seeds organised in months in zip lock bags but what I really couldn't live without is the list I made on my computer at the start of last year. I went through all my seed packets/veg books and listed when things had to be sown and then planted out etc - it also lists things like when to prune my fruit bushes and feed or mulch things. As things went along last year the list was edited - like some things really didn't work for me or I missed things off the list - like covering my brassicas with a finer netting to protect them from the dreaded cabbage root fly. :ohmy: But some things really did work - I covered my parsnips and carrots with fleece for quite a while and also interplanted marigolds between them. No sign of the carrot fly. ;) And some things worked for me that went against the conventional wisdom - like planting pumpkins and sweetcorn in the same patch in a 3 sisters approach (but without the beans!).

I do not have an allotment just a patch in my garden so making the most use of my space is really important and so this year I am trying something new - instead of sticking religiously to crop rotation, I am trying to work out which crops can be planted after another crop has finished, my aim is to try to have as little bare earth as possible! I have made plans of my space and what I aim to be planted where. This relies on one crop being finished when I need to plant the next one so the list will be especially important to note down what worked and what didn't! I am expecting again, some of my plans will work out well and some won't work at all.

So yeah, without my list I would be lost! :D

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #35 on: December 31, 2010, 12:55 »
I feel very disorganised ...  :blink:
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #36 on: December 31, 2010, 14:11 »

Well I've got a list and will make a plan but I wouldn't claim to be organised even after that - just less chaotic that I might be  ;)  :lol:

snowdrops

« Reply #37 on: December 31, 2010, 15:39 »
sweet pea 2- I'm in Burbage Leics.They're the 1st ones's I've managed to get,also the parsnips.To my shame I had to buy them for Christmas.That's the 2nd time in over 25 years.Last year was the 1st time. It won't happen again though,I shall get some up early next year & freeze them & then get a 2nd lot up & heel them in packed around with straw.
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

azubah

• www.Godsaves.co.uk
« Reply #38 on: December 31, 2010, 19:44 »

I'm with you Yorkie. I haven't got any seeds yet except for the jumble in the drawer in the junk room left over from last year.
I start with broad beans when I think it is warm enough for them to germinate.
I put the spuds in next ..round about the end of March or beginning of April when I have time and feel like it. They can stop underground until the frosts have gone.
The runner beans go in pots in the greenhouse some time after that.
Then there's brassicas and sweet corn to fit in somewhere..If there is any room there are lettuces, squash, etc
I tend to sort through the drawer and find a packet of seeds and think ooer! those should have gone in last month, perhaps I should do it now.
Happily it all works out well in the end.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #39 on: December 31, 2010, 19:50 »
Excellent, azubah!

We can locate dusty seed packets together!!

Lulu

• Winner Best Sunflower - 2012
« Reply #40 on: January 01, 2011, 21:48 »
I got a gardening book for Christmas - one of those you use to plan your garden.  I have listed the seeds I have got and am now looking at seed sites to see what I need.  I can't wait till it gets warm enough to start planting. I haven't been to the lottie for a while - too much snow and now too much water but hope to pop in on Sunday and get some parsnips. Later this month I hope to get a new compost bin going and have a big tidy up at my messy end!! OH keeps promising to help. The anticipation is exciting! 8)
Wash your hands, stay at home, distance yourself

Paul Plots

« Reply #41 on: January 02, 2011, 02:02 »
I'm now planning for this year already!  ;)

Organised? Of course I am!

I have all my seed packets left over from last year sorted into one two three several boxes somewhere.  :wacko:

One of these fine wet days when I have time I'll rummage through and decide what I should keep, dispose of, replace and buy in new.

(Must have Bambino tomatoes!)
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

MoRo

• A Small Holding
« Reply #42 on: January 02, 2011, 07:36 »
Hi
We've just sorted our seeds and we're putting our shopping list together.
I love this bit, and I love that we never stick to the Grand Plan  :)

Kagganz

« Reply #43 on: January 02, 2011, 07:37 »
Well I have been bought a trusty Gardners Journal book which I'm thinking will solve ALL sorts of gardening problems.....really it will !!!
It also co-ordinates with the lovely sun hat and apron that my husband thoughtfully bought me for Christmas, it was such a surprise  :lol:....... I really wanted a car  :mad:

XXX

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #44 on: January 02, 2011, 07:55 »
I love the optimism Kagganz  :lol: I put faith in my lists and plans every year and then somehow it all happens as a chaotic rush  :D

MoRo has got it right - the planning is fun but it's more fun when mid season you are surrounded by crops not quite where they should be and probably a week or so later as well, but who cares.  I then get giddy with it all and every spare space I take a crop out of gets refilled with something and by the end of the season I have a glorious but very productive muddle  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

xx
Planning for next year already....am I mad?

Started by shay on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post June 05, 2009, 20:10
by richyrich7
xx
Planning for next year.

Started by LivvyW on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post September 28, 2008, 13:12
by Robin Redbreast
xx
Planning for next year

Started by Roll Roll on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post December 15, 2008, 18:15
by Angelah
xx
Planning for next year

Started by Nikkithefoot on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post December 26, 2007, 20:09
by Sally A

Page created in 0.494 seconds with 37 queries.