Planning for next year

• 7 Replies

Nikkithefoot

Planning for next year
« on: December 26, 2007, 16:47 »
Having had time to sit and ponder the veg plot for next year, I now have a conundrum. My plot is divided into beds of varying size, with tannelised timber. Some of the timber needs replacing as it has rotted. (well it has been down a few years) I replaced some timbers a couple of years ago around one of the beds, due in part to a mini redesign, and to be honest it was a total pain in the whatsit, as surrounding each bed is weed supressing material with gravel over.

The question is do I:
a)move all the gravel and just have bare earth, with one huge bed for this year and replace the timber next winter, (physically the most demanding but quite straight forward, and probably the quickest as i can involve the kids and neighbours kids),
b)replace the timbers that need replacing (a real faff and spend the next 'x' years removing stones from the growing area)
c)do nothing and manage for another year (which I can do), but will probably need even more work next year

Problems to be taken into account are I work full time, am studying part time, have three kids and a disabled OH. Time is at a premium, but I need my garden to be productive but not an eyesore 'work in progress' as OH spends most of his day at home, other than when he does the school run.

I would appreciate your opinions and advice.

Nikki
I was put on this earth to accomplish a certain number of things; right now I am so far behind I will never die.

Sally A

Planning for next year
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2007, 16:57 »
I'd go for c) and in the next 12 months think up a better/cheaper/quicker way to separate the beds, it will also give you chance to skip dive for possible alternative materials, perhaps old roof tiles or something.

Perhaps also gradually replace the gravel with pavers as that would make any future alterations simpler too.

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
Planning for next year
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2007, 17:02 »
Difficult to know what to say - raised beds are good for some but if your soil is in good heart and easy then I'd get rid of some. Although you can plant raised beds closely, with the paths you waste a lot of space.
Check out our books - ideal presents

John and Val Harrison's Books

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Planning for next year
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2007, 17:35 »
Quote from: "john"
Difficult to know what to say - raised beds are good for some but if your soil is in good heart and easy then I'd get rid of some. Although you can plant raised beds closely, with the paths you waste a lot of space.

Hear hear!
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Nikkithefoot

Planning for next year
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2007, 19:33 »
Thanks guys (the unisex version!!)

I have sandy soil which in the beds is free draining as I have worked lots of compost into them, but they are also rather full. The sub soil is an extremely compacted sand / clayish mix. (about 2ft down) I am led to believe that a river once ran through this neck of the woods. The paths (under the gravel) will by now be very compacted and a s** to work, but I agree paths take up growing room!! On the plus side, beds are a darn site easier to weed, and take a matter of mins to do which gives you a boost as you can easily see where you have been and it gives more incentive to do a bit more.

Getting rid of some soil hereabouts is not that easy, especially as little access to rear of house. Would have to barrow it through a neighbours garden (not a problem). I'm the only gardener among them.......

Decisions, decisions.....

Here are a couple of pics of the garden this last season

These were the 'before clear up', never got round to the after!!

Nikki

Sally A

Planning for next year
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2007, 20:03 »
for that size of plot I'd get rid of the wood partitions altogether, if you want to divide up the space and make it picturesque do so with sweet peas, pots of herbs etc.

Use a scaffold plank or two to walk on and work from, I think the gravel and dividing boards give you more worry than they are worth, unless this would cause OH trouble in accessing the area.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Planning for next year
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2007, 20:06 »
I've seen worse, one of my neighbouring plots has paths wider than the beds. Less than 50% of the available ground is utilised.

Unless there is good reason such as access, or putting better soil in the raised beds, IMHO they are more trouble than they are worth & waste a lot of good growing space.

Sally A

Planning for next year
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2007, 20:09 »
PS Impressive anti - Carrot Fly system, or is that a trampoline?

(I always think trampoline should be a cleaner for tramps, as windowlene is for windows).

xx
Planning for next year!

Started by Mulberry1990 on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post August 09, 2010, 01:30
by Paul Plots
xx
Planning for next year already....am I mad?

Started by shay on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post June 05, 2009, 20:10
by richyrich7
xx
Planning for next year.

Started by LivvyW on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post September 28, 2008, 13:12
by Robin Redbreast
xx
Planning for next year already

Started by New shoot on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post December 12, 2023, 17:25
by missmoneypenny

Page created in 0.698 seconds with 36 queries.