Planning for next year!

• 14 Replies

Mulberry1990

• Experienced Member
Planning for next year!
« on: July 19, 2010, 19:53 »
We have 11 raised beds for veg to grow in, but our neighbours have had a lot of success growing things in plant pots. So next year we're thinking of putting things in plant pots and saving the raised beds for things that wont go in there in order to get more grown.
So does any one have any ideas or tips on what will or wont go in the plant pots?
4 Dogs: Stanley, Oscar, Borris and Scraps, 8 chickens: Prada, Mulberry, Alessi, Apple, Dior, Bobbi, Eve and Fendi, 2 Guinea Pigs: Rupert and Milo, 3 Rabbits: Louis, Daisy and Charlie 2 Fish: Sandy and Pebbles, 6 Quail

peapod

• Pea Goddess
Re: Planning for next year!
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2010, 20:16 »
Do you mean veg in the pots too?
"I think the carrot infinitely more fascinating than the geranium. The carrot has mystery. Flowers are essentially tarts. Prostitutes for the bees. There is, you'll agree, a certain je ne sais quoi oh so very special about a firm young carrot" Withnail and I

Dave Mack

• Zillionaire
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2010, 20:17 »
Yeah i'm doing the same next year , my beds were a bit over crowded this year , so far next year i will be putting radish , beets and cut and come again lettuce in long planter window box things , if i come up with anything else i'll post it here  ;)

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2010, 20:27 »
You can grow loads in pots and containers  - try John's book on Container growing: full of great ideas  :D :D
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

nuttytart

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2010, 20:29 »
I have grown all of my veg in pots outside this year, we've had carrots, onions, cauliflower courgettes  strawberries, rocket, cabbage radishes. and have rown things like mixed leaves and lettuce ina growm bag!! so it does work and we've had loads!

Mulberry1990

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2010, 20:32 »
I had spinach in my bed this year, and my neighbour had theirs in the pot and theirs was a million times better than mine. Do you think it's the type I planted or wether they're just better suited to a pot?

nuttytart

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2010, 20:34 »
Ment to add, the hessian bags from tesco, not the plasticy ones, the ones with the ladybirds on (i think) are pretty good for growing things in too! Cheaper than pots too!

shokkyy

• Mishka
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2010, 21:54 »
Ment to add, the hessian bags from tesco, not the plasticy ones, the ones with the ladybirds on (i think) are pretty good for growing things in too! Cheaper than pots too!

I grew all my new spuds this year in the big orange reusable bags from Sainsbury. They look much the same as the spud planting bags they sell in garden centres except they're 40p instead of £3 or £4. Got some very good crops in mine.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2010, 21:57 »
We used those nice blue ones with lovely grass pictures on, from Asda.. good crop at school and they looked brilliant too  :lol: :lol: :lol:

Paul Plots

« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2010, 16:08 »
Next year I must remember to:

Plant the courgettes and butternut squash in two different places::)

Although I marked the position of the plants with canes to make watering easier and the butternut squash have back-topped canes and the courgettes yellow topped canes…
                 .......it’s a balancing act trying to clamber through to pick the courgettes!   :tongue2:

Why on earth didn't I think of this when I planted them - after all, I know better!  :blink:
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

JaK

• Happy half plot.
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2010, 16:28 »
Most of my stuff is grown in pots. This years pots have grown- potatoes, french beans, peas, runner beans, beetroot, chantenay carrots, raddish, onions, spring onions, peppers......
I think you can grow pretty much anything tbh.

chili

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2010, 18:27 »
well if you want a cheap supply of pots (FREE) then go to asda.
all the plastic buckets that the flowers are in are thrown away daily ask them and they will happily let you have them all :) i got 60 earlier this year

Fisherman

« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2010, 21:35 »
Don't talk about next year yet or I will get depressed :(. It's good to plan ahead but this has been a bad year what with the deep freeze and now the the so called drought. We have a hose pipe ban in place in Lancashire, I ask you. It's never stopped raining for weeks and won't until next spring.

Dotty

« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2010, 22:11 »
Don't talk about next year yet or I will get depressed :(. It's good to plan ahead but this has been a bad year what with the deep freeze and now the the so called drought. We have a hose pipe ban in place in Lancashire, I ask you. It's never stopped raining for weeks and won't until next spring.

I wish we could have a week of rain here in Essex. It seems theres a big north south divide in the weather this year.
Love me, love my veggies

Paul Plots

« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2010, 01:30 »
Not having a good, regular rainfall in the summer can make life hard work on the plot but there is an advantage, I think.

No rain = no water for the weeds so a lot less work keeping up with them.  ;)

If we are allowed to top up water butts with a hose I am more than happy to use a watering can and put the water exactly where I want it once it has warmed up in the sun.

I hardly ever water straight from the hose - too flippng chilly!  :blink:

xx
Planning for next year

Started by Nikkithefoot on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post December 26, 2007, 20:09
by Sally A
xx
Planning for next year

Started by New shoot on Grow Your Own

48 Replies
Last post January 02, 2011, 08:29
by New shoot
xx
Planning for next year already....am I mad?

Started by shay on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post June 05, 2009, 20:10
by richyrich7
xx
Planning for next year.

Started by LivvyW on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post September 28, 2008, 13:12
by Robin Redbreast

Page created in 0.591 seconds with 27 queries.