cabbage whites

• 18 Replies

viettaclark

cabbage whites
« on: June 30, 2010, 22:29 »
I've been pleasantly surprised at the lack of cabbage whites in my garden this year (so far!) :D Has anyone else noticed numbers are down?
I don't know if it's because I've netted the shelving unit that's holding all my brassicas ready to plant out (they've not been attracted to the garden like last year) or if the hard Winter took it's toll.
Then I Googled the life cycle of the little beasties and there are TWO flying/breeding times...May/June and July/August so there's another possible onslaught due next month.
Can't plant out the brassicas (which are out-growing their pots) until the onions/garlic/shallots are ready in (hopefully!) three weeks or so.
It looks like I'll have to debris net the raised bed, which means a mammoth sewing session to join two bits AND sew up the lines of holes (yes...they do get in those holes!) and a real pain accessing the bed for weeding etc.
Ho hum.... :( ::)

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
Re: cabbage whites
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2010, 22:32 »
Yes they do get in those little holes  :tongue2: :tongue2: :tongue2:

Found one inside the debris netting mini tunnel I've made over the brassicas, busy laying away.

Then when I looked hard I also found some little green caterpillars so it wasn' the first to visit  :tongue2: :tongue2: :tongue2:
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

compostqueen

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2010, 22:34 »
I let clumps of nettles grow round the edges of my plot for them to lay their eggs on, rather than my brassicas  :)

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2010, 22:39 »
I commented on here a few days ago that there were a lot less this year...we had some and then another cold spell that seemed to finish them off.
Still netting everything cabbagey though ::)

I sowed up the holes in my netting on the sewing m/c simples ;)

spiderlyn

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2010, 22:40 »
I've been using Garlic Wonder on my brassicas..(and carrots/fruit bushes and anything else that gets in the way of my spray) fingers x'd no problem with piskie pest so far! and they are not netted..  on the other hand.. my next door neighbour has been savaged by cabbage white ???  The wonders of GARLIC! ;) "I'M LOVIN IT"! :D
Try.. and ... try again... & keep trying..

pigeonpie

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2010, 22:44 »
We've noticed that there don't seem to have been as many cabbage whites around here yet either.  I enviro mesh my brassicas and then plant a couple of spares in a different part of the veg garden that the butterflies and subsequent caterpillars can help themselves to.  A garden without butterflies and insects is a garden without birds.

8doubles

« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2010, 22:59 »
I had a small lettuce in a pot that the sparrows had not touched (unusual) it was eaten overnight by a cabbage looper caterpillar. :mad:

The caterpillar was by itself and looked lonely so i took it to play with the chickens. :)

Very few cabbage white around this area at the moment , i put it down to the cold winter as there were zillions of them about this time last year.

kermit

• Experienced Member
  • Small garden, large raised beds
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2010, 23:07 »
Nothing on my brassicas yet, but 3 large cabbage white 'pillars on my roses so far - decimated a load of beautiful buds, just before they were about to burst open.  No brownie points for me this month  :mad:  Never seen them eating rose buds before...

Madame Cholet

• Location: Thrapston=Home & garden Lotty=Ringstead East Northants
  • remember you're a womble
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2010, 04:00 »
I was wondering the same, my first time for brassicas a few fast maturing calabrese and some sprouts. I netted them until they were too tall for the frame which stopped the lovely pigeons.  I've not seen any white butterflies in the garden or eggs, plenty of white fly. I have a small patch of nettles.
I was wondering about garlic, may try it any way.

Diary at- http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=85680.75

Comments at- http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=85681.15

To good friends, good food and dirty hands

Underground overground wombling free

Jamie Butterworth

• Young Gardener at Chelsea Flower Show - 2014, 2015
  • BBC3 Young Gardener Of The Year 2011 - Finalist
    • Jamie Butterworth
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2010, 07:42 »
Ive not seen any yet this year, which i was suprised about because the amount that were on my sprouts last year could have doubled there numbers :lol:
If you want to be happy for a short time - get drunk.

If you want to be happy for a long time - fall in love.

If you want to be happy forever - take up gardening!

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2010, 08:12 »
Very few and far between here this year, but unfortunately that is also true of most butterflies, and I hadn't seen a single honey bee until I went to Bressingham Gardens in Suffolk last week (and then not many.)  :(
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Salmo

« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2010, 08:21 »
I think I am right that the early cabbage whites are ones that have overwinterd as chrystalists tucked into nooks and crevises sheds, fence posts etc. These may have been killed by the Winter frosts this year? Also the very sharp frosts we had in May could have killed some of those that had emerged.

AndyRVTR

« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2010, 14:51 »
sssssssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.... they will hear you.....  :D :D :D

Sid

• Experienced Member
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2010, 21:57 »
 :D :D :D

We saw two cabbage whites at the lottie today >:(but they are the first we have seen so far.
Haven't netted caulies or brussels hope we will be okay,but I do check them regularly for bugs and squish when necessary ;)
if you want to be happy for a short time, get drunk; happy for a long time, fall in love; happy for ever, take up gardening

Dave Mack

• Zillionaire
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2010, 22:09 »
I've been picking all the little green b*gga's off my spouts today ... i put them all in the council compost bin to play in there  :) haven't seen mummy or daddy though .

xx
cabbage whites

Started by Grubbypaws on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post August 16, 2013, 14:38
by heygrow
thumbdown
The cabbage whites have got me!

Started by Lesleyk on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post July 29, 2014, 11:55
by Lesleyk
xx
Where are the cabbage whites?

Started by viettaclark on Grow Your Own

25 Replies
Last post May 27, 2011, 20:51
by Lulu
xx
Cabbage Whites

Started by cAnAry53 on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post April 25, 2009, 20:59
by yummy

Page created in 0.584 seconds with 30 queries.