cabbage whites

• 18 Replies

viettaclark

Re: cabbage whites
« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2010, 23:46 »
Blow me! I've just checked on my shelving unit of brassica plants, debris netted down to the ground, and some of the leaves on the top shelf have been caterpillar munched!!
A good search didn't turn up any caterpillars but there were 2 tiny, grey, "woolly" sacs under 2 leaves which I squished.
Are these forming pupae?
How did they get in? Maybe the female can just stick her oviposter through the netting.....some leaves were touching....maybe it was that Painted Lady butterfly I spied hovering around some time ago, before I netted!!
Ingenious these critters!!!

pigeonpie

« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2010, 17:21 »
These butterflies are cunning little rascals and can indeed lay eggs through the netting if the plants are close enough to it.  Hopefully you've caught them before too much damage is done!

8doubles

« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2010, 17:30 »
Blow me! I've just checked on my shelving unit of brassica plants, debris netted down to the ground, and some of the leaves on the top shelf have been caterpillar munched!!
A good search didn't turn up any caterpillars but there were 2 tiny, grey, "woolly" sacs under 2 leaves which I squished.
Are these forming pupae?
How did they get in? Maybe the female can just stick her oviposter through the netting.....some leaves were touching....maybe it was that Painted Lady butterfly I spied hovering around some time ago, before I netted!!
Ingenious these critters!!!

Sounds like moth caterpillars, they live in the silk tent and nip out for a quick munch.

viettaclark

« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2010, 20:57 »
That's fascinating!!! Hopefully that prob is solved then but I noticed a couple of cabbage whites today......

xx
Cabbage Whites

Started by cAnAry53 on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post April 25, 2009, 20:59
by yummy
xx
Where are the cabbage whites?

Started by viettaclark on Grow Your Own

25 Replies
Last post May 27, 2011, 20:51
by Lulu
xx
Cabbage whites

Started by Diddy Gardener on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post May 24, 2012, 17:52
by mumofstig
xx
Where are all the cabbage whites?

Started by heygrow on Grow Your Own

72 Replies
Last post July 29, 2014, 14:25
by heygrow

Page created in 0.521 seconds with 36 queries.