cabbage whites

• 18 Replies

viettaclark

Re: cabbage whites
« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2010, 23:46 »
Blow me! I've just checked on my shelving unit of brassica plants, debris netted down to the ground, and some of the leaves on the top shelf have been caterpillar munched!!
A good search didn't turn up any caterpillars but there were 2 tiny, grey, "woolly" sacs under 2 leaves which I squished.
Are these forming pupae?
How did they get in? Maybe the female can just stick her oviposter through the netting.....some leaves were touching....maybe it was that Painted Lady butterfly I spied hovering around some time ago, before I netted!!
Ingenious these critters!!!

pigeonpie

« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2010, 17:21 »
These butterflies are cunning little rascals and can indeed lay eggs through the netting if the plants are close enough to it.  Hopefully you've caught them before too much damage is done!

8doubles

« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2010, 17:30 »
Blow me! I've just checked on my shelving unit of brassica plants, debris netted down to the ground, and some of the leaves on the top shelf have been caterpillar munched!!
A good search didn't turn up any caterpillars but there were 2 tiny, grey, "woolly" sacs under 2 leaves which I squished.
Are these forming pupae?
How did they get in? Maybe the female can just stick her oviposter through the netting.....some leaves were touching....maybe it was that Painted Lady butterfly I spied hovering around some time ago, before I netted!!
Ingenious these critters!!!

Sounds like moth caterpillars, they live in the silk tent and nip out for a quick munch.

viettaclark

« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2010, 20:57 »
That's fascinating!!! Hopefully that prob is solved then but I noticed a couple of cabbage whites today......

xx
Cabbage whites?

Started by Earthy on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post August 21, 2009, 10:23
by 8doubles
xx
cabbage whites

Started by Grubbypaws on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post August 16, 2013, 14:38
by heygrow
thumbdown
The cabbage whites have got me!

Started by Lesleyk on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post July 29, 2014, 11:55
by Lesleyk
xx
Where are the cabbage whites?

Started by viettaclark on Grow Your Own

25 Replies
Last post May 27, 2011, 20:51
by Lulu

Page created in 0.531 seconds with 28 queries.