The cabbage whites have got me!

• 6 Replies

Lesleyk

• Experienced Member
The cabbage whites have got me!
« on: July 29, 2014, 09:57 »
Despite netting - which I have done successfully in previous years - the little blighters have made their way in and on inspection this morning I find my Brussels looking very sad indeed - some leaves have been completely decimated overnight!  So, as I like to garden organically, as far as possible, is there anything I can do at this stage to stop it getting any worse?  I looked and couldn't find any caterpillars - plenty of poo, though - so couldn't do any hand-picking.  Is there anything else - something organic I can spray them with, for example?  Having watched the Brussels - and broccoli  - growing so beautifully, I'm really quite upset to see this ...... :(

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: The cabbage whites have got me!
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2014, 10:18 »
If you can't see any caterpillars, which is strange, was it actually slugs n snails that did the damage? They're better at hiding  :dry:

Nobbie

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2014, 10:27 »
If I can't see any catapillers then I give the plant a good shake and check the ground carefully. Did a quick check on my broccoli yesterday and there were some single tiny catapillers on about half the leaves. Looks like it's time for a squishing session before they do any damage >:(

rosiecider

• Experienced Member
  • rosiecider
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2014, 10:53 »
I read I think in the Gardeners World to douse cabbages in very salty water and the caterpillars drop to the ground then you can squish them
:D I garden therefore I am

mobilekat

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2014, 11:02 »
I pull the little blighters off and then chuck them under the bird feeders- within seconds the robin and bluetits appear
I have requested we miss out the middle man (or woman) and they pick them off the plants, but apparently thats boring!

Very often quite lost- would be more lost if I could work out where I was!- But always find my way home.....

Goosegirl

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2014, 11:08 »
The poo should give you a clue as to what has been at them. Caterpillar poo are like little dots and snail poo is longer plus the tell-tale trails. If you had nets over them, then perhaps the leaves were touching the net top so allowing the CWs to lay their eggs through it. What a shame, but hopefully they can still be saved. Salty water should run off the leaves and not trouble your plants, so see what you get.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

Lesleyk

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2014, 11:55 »
The poo should give you a clue as to what has been at them. Caterpillar poo are like little dots and snail poo is longer plus the tell-tale trails. If you had nets over them, then perhaps the leaves were touching the net top so allowing the CWs to lay their eggs through it. What a shame, but hopefully they can still be saved. Salty water should run off the leaves and not trouble your plants, so see what you get.

It's definitely cabbage white poo - and the holes and damage are a dead giveaway.  I think you might be right about the tops of the plants touching the netting - didn't think of that!  I'll give the salty water treatment a go and hope something can be salvaged.  Amazing how quickly they can make their way through the plants - there was no sign of anything a couple of days ago!

xx
Cabbage whites

Started by Jamboian on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post April 28, 2012, 09:48
by sunshineband
xx
cabbage whites

Started by Grubbypaws on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post August 16, 2013, 14:38
by heygrow
xx
Cabbage whites?

Started by Earthy on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post August 21, 2009, 10:23
by 8doubles
xx
Where are the cabbage whites?

Started by viettaclark on Grow Your Own

25 Replies
Last post May 27, 2011, 20:51
by Lulu

Page created in 1.337 seconds with 38 queries.