Squashes

• 19 Replies

MoreWhisky

Squashes
« on: April 24, 2010, 08:35 »
Well the sun is out and ive decided this is the day to start of my Squashes (Hooligans and Crown Prince) in pots.

Always worry about the right time for this, any body think i might be best waiting another week?
I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany.

JayG

• Global Moderator
Re: Squashes
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2010, 09:21 »
Well that's the 64,000 dollar question isn't it?

The answer is of course that if warm conditions (including night-time temperatures) have started towards the end of May and then continue then now is a good time to get them started.

Squashes, sweetcorn, runners beans all suffer if planted out in miserable cold conditions but who knows what the weather will be like in 3 or 4 weeks time? (Answers on a postcard please!  ;) )
« Last Edit: April 24, 2010, 09:23 by JayG »
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

MoreWhisky

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2010, 09:23 »
Well that's the $64,000 dollar question isn't it?

The answer is of course that if warm conditions (including night-time temperatures) have started towards the end of May and then continue then now is a good time to get them started.

Squashes, sweetcorn, runners beans all suffer if planted out in miserable cold conditions but who knows what the weather will be like in 3 or 4 weeks time? (Answers on a postcard please!  ;) )

So Have you started yours JayG ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?

Maccbean

• Experienced Member
    • My Bigger Picture Photo Gifts
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2010, 09:29 »
Oh what a newbie. :blush: I started mine two weeks ago.  Obviously a little premature, but oh soooo keen! :D

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2010, 09:33 »
So Have you started yours JayG ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?

Not yet, but any day now (probably leave the runners until last as they are the worst to untangle if you have to delay planting out!)

MoreWhisky

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2010, 09:38 »
Ive just checked all the charts/stats and today IS the perfect day to start your Squashes off  :D

At least i hope so as mine are now in  :D :D

Y.E.A.H

• I love growing unusual vegetables!
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2010, 09:41 »
i started mine two weeks ago and they're going great  :)

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2010, 10:35 »
I will be doing mine this weekend...........and my excuse is........
that Gardeners World told me to  :lol: :lol: :tongue2: but this is already 2 weeks later than last year, so I think they'll be fine.......everything crossed and fleece at the ready :nowink:

compostqueen

« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2010, 11:07 »
not done mine yet as no room to shift for stuff already and until I get something planted I won't sow anything else

Had a planting session yesterday but the greenhouses and conservatory is still full. I can't recall sowing all that lot  :D

My squash sowings are the ones I'm most serious about and I grow lots of different varieties each year to see which are the best to eat. Enjoying find out  :)

MoreWhisky

« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2010, 16:48 »
not done mine yet as no room to shift for stuff already and until I get something planted I won't sow anything else

Had a planting session yesterday but the greenhouses and conservatory is still full. I can't recall sowing all that lot  :D

My squash sowings are the ones I'm most serious about and I grow lots of different varieties each year to see which are the best to eat. Enjoying find out  :)

Good to hear about another serious Squash grower compostqueen , as they dont seem to be highly grown on my site apart from mine that is.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2010, 17:02 »
and me as well...I'm  :wacko: ....have just sown 12 ............5 of which are new to me this year..........and thinking about sweet mama just recommended  :lol:

compostqueen

« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2010, 17:18 »
oh I'm glad I'm in good company. Folks round me don't eat them and may only grow them for lantern making and chuck out the flesh - or give it to me  :D

I love growing them and have grown some really wierd ones  :D

MoreWhisky

« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2010, 17:54 »
Give me half a slow roasted Hooligan anytime over spuds lol

Pompey Spud

« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2010, 18:26 »
We love squash.

They look after themselves apart from the fact they can drink for England. Supress weeds and look good.

Growing turks turban, Boston hubbard, Atlantic Giant, Big Max, Invincible(crown prince type), Waltham BNS, Metro BNS and Southern Crookneck.

Top tip for camping....don't go.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2010, 18:52 »
Now what I would like to grow, ladies and gents, is a butternut the same size as the shop bought ones, not tiddlers like Harrier ::) which will set more than 1 or 2 fruit per plant :lol:

Am I asking tooooo much? or can you recommend one  :D

xx
squashes

Started by slow_worm on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post August 07, 2011, 20:27
by mumofstig
xx
Squashes

Started by ytyynycefn on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post October 05, 2006, 15:06
by wellingtons
xx
Squashes

Started by greenjean on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post September 27, 2011, 16:11
by mumofstig
xx
Squashes

Started by Gleavo on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post July 20, 2012, 19:55
by mumofstig

Page created in 0.451 seconds with 29 queries.