It,s the new rock and roll

• 9 Replies

craggy

It,s the new rock and roll
« on: March 03, 2010, 23:30 »
Did anyone see itv news tonight.Allotments are now up there with big brother.The media men have found a new subject to get wrong."Grow all your own food" they say.All of a sudden we are all now celebrities ::)

lacewing

Re: It,s the new rock and roll
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2010, 07:12 »
Quick, lock all your gates!
There is no better show of antisipation than a man sowing seeds in a field.

savbo

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2010, 07:38 »
I also heard something on R4 about a Gardening Which report saying allotments may not be cheap food - then explaining people are paying a pound for a carrot plant! I might buy some lettuces or toms from B*Q but would anyone here EVER buy a carrot plant?!!!

M

lacewing

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2010, 07:51 »
No, I've never seen carrot plants for sale. ::)

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2010, 07:54 »
Sadly I have.

Why would you buy lettuce and tomato plants, especially lettuce? :tongue2: Can't be many easier things things to grow from seed, with 100's in a cheap packet.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Cavolo Nero

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2010, 08:20 »
The carrot plug plants were offered by one retailer - they didn't sell and were withdrawn! In any case, even if I was offered free supermarket veg I still wouldn't give up my lotty. It's always been rock and roll to me!
"If you want to be happy for a day, get drunk. If you want to be happy for a week, get married. If you want to be happy for the rest of your life, be a gardener." - Chinese proverb

scabs

• I love the smell of rhubarb in the morning
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2010, 08:33 »
According to an article in the Indy a few days ago, one retailer was selling carrot plugs at £1.49 PER PLANT.

After I had stopped laughing over my coffee, I got quite cross.

savbo

« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2010, 18:17 »
Sadly I have.

Why would you buy lettuce and tomato plants, especially lettuce? :tongue2: Can't be many easier things things to grow from seed, with 100's in a cheap packet.

the toms were cos I'd missed the sowing window last year and only got the greenhouse up at start of may (in the end only bought about 4 and was given a dozen super mixed ones from lottie neighbour), and the lettuce cos I'm still not v good at growing them without them going too leggy and rotting off. But this year have a pot of Marvel growing OK on windowsill!

craggy

« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2010, 18:22 »
Sadly I have.

the toms were cos I'd missed the sowing window last year and only got the greenhouse up at start of may (in the end only bought about 4 and was given a dozen super mixed ones from lottie neighbour), and the lettuce cos I'm still not v good at growing them without them going too leggy and rotting off. But this year have a pot of Marvel growing OK on windowsill!
why not sow them on the plot?

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2010, 18:35 »

I can help you with this apparent misunderstanding! (Toms are red, cos are green!)  :lol:
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

xx
Roll them carrots...

Started by Growster... on Grow Your Own

41 Replies
Last post July 02, 2011, 09:32
by DD.
xx
loo roll question

Started by littlelisa on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post April 24, 2008, 22:08
by Elaine G
xx
seed bed roll

Started by pumpkinpatch on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post May 27, 2009, 16:43
by pumpkinpatch
xx
Loo roll inners?

Started by stompy on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post January 10, 2013, 11:42
by MegC1991

Page created in 0.768 seconds with 30 queries.