Growing Comfrey's

• 8 Replies

bluelou

• Experienced Member
Growing Comfrey's
« on: March 04, 2010, 17:01 »
I am thinking of growing a comfrey plant, are they easy to grow and do they take up alot of space? Can you buy comfrey plants or do you grow from seed? Any help welcome!

hogchops

Re: Growing Comfrey's
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2010, 17:18 »
 its pretty foolproof to grow, just make sure you buy Bocking 14 type otherwise it will pop up all over the place, ive just ordered 10 root cuttings off ebay for £11.

Joolz

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2010, 17:31 »
I've just ordered some plants. I've heard it can it can be very prolific and a touch invasive so I am going to grow mine a bit of a way away from my main plot - probably to the side of the compost corner at the back of the shed. I just need a nice, cheap water barrel to make the 'tea' in.

Might change my mind before they are delivered though.

Joolz

Trillium

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2010, 17:34 »
If anyone uses the ordinary comfrey, think carefully where you plant them. The roots will go down 6 ft deep and seed everywhere as well.

goose

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2010, 17:40 »
blooming heck!! ive just started propogating some seeds from T&M, hoping to get some cheap fertilizer.....i may get more than i have bargained for!!  could i grow it in pots/troughs or would it still self seed all over the place?  if i carry on with this, how much do you need to grow to get some decent 'tea'?

Trillium

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2010, 17:49 »
You'd want a deep pot for the comfrey so not to stunt the whole plant, but the roots would still circle inside as they are huge and true foragers. The seeds would still form on any flowers so you'd need to be really diligent about keeping flowers cut off.  I suspect even one plant would give you enough leaves for 'tea' since the tea itself must be diluted with water. Calculate what size container you'd use, then how many leaves that unit might take. But as all gardeners know, one plant is never enough  :D I've have a few wild comfrey growing along my tree line which will be used for composting, and I'm getting 6 Boking 14 cuttings in for another patch that will be constantly cut.

Joolz

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2010, 17:55 »
blooming heck!! ive just started propogating some seeds from T&M, hoping to get some cheap fertilizer.....i may get more than i have bargained for!!  could i grow it in pots/troughs or would it still self seed all over the place?  if i carry on with this, how much do you need to grow to get some decent 'tea'?

I'd be interested in the answer to this too. I heard that it can spread like wildfire by seeding. So I chickened out from seeds and went for the bocking 14 plants.
I'm hoping five or six plants will do a half plot as Bocking are sterile?

Joolz

Lardman

« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2010, 18:19 »
ive just ordered 10 root cuttings off ebay for £11.

... how much !!  :ohmy:

Where's my spade.

craggy

« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2010, 18:19 »

I'd be interested in the answer to this too. I heard that it can spread like wildfire by seeding. So I chickened out from seeds and went for the bocking 14 plants.
I'm hoping five or six plants will do a half plot as Bocking are sterile?

Joolz

it,s a good start.You can split them up next year.

xx
growing borage to make tea, like comfrey

Started by JohnB47 on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post May 16, 2012, 09:23
by Togalosh
xx
Comfrey

Started by Michael D on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post August 25, 2008, 08:46
by Yorkie
xx
Comfrey tea

Started by vanessa.xx on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post June 09, 2013, 19:52
by Beetroot queen
xx
Where to get comfrey?

Started by Half a plot man on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post March 01, 2011, 12:33
by Muddylou

Page created in 0.523 seconds with 36 queries.