Loo roll inners?

• 12 Replies

stompy

Loo roll inners?
« on: January 09, 2013, 08:56 »
Hi all,

If you grow "Organicly" can you use loo roll inners either as mouldy pots or in the compost bins?
The reason i ask is because they are held together with a glue, which is a chemical!

aelf

• idndtdodaftl
Re: Loo roll inners?
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2013, 09:15 »
I guess it depends what is in the glue  :unsure:
There's more comfrey here than you can shake a stick at!

http://www.wedigforvictory.co.uk/dig_icon.gif[/img]

Daamoot

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2013, 09:51 »
Same would go with using cardboard in you compost heap since glues are used?  I will be using toilet roll tubes as pots this year but I'm not 100% organic, just avoid using toxic chemicals like pesiticides/herbicides.  How toxic/carcinogenic is the glue they use and will it leach into veg?..Would be my main concern

There are pet forums where people inquire about this because they are worried about giving them to hamsters for chewing on, here's an example but its not exactly scientific detail.  If anyone knows of any studies on the subject, those results would be far more useful.  I don't know any small pet owners so not sure about the numbers of cases where they die riddled with cancer but I believe that would be a good indication that their diet isn't good.
Add me on PSN but nowadays I reach for the fork or hoe more than a controller

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2013, 09:55 »
Although the glue could be considered basically "organic" in that it's usually starch or dextrin it would appear that it's combined with borates to improve its properties during the manufacturing process.

Article here, but beware, you might find it more boring than borate!  ;)

I don't know whether the Soil Association or any other representatives of the Organic movement have a view on it one way or the other.

I make paper pots from old telephone directories, and my loo tubes go in the compost - what the hell (there are limits to how far I'm prepared to go to be both enviromentally sound and organic-ish!) 
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

angelavdavis

• Winner - Prettiest Pumpkin 2012
  • An allotment glutton!
    • The Allotment Glutton
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2013, 10:26 »
I try to garden as organically as I can - avoiding chemicals where at all possible (I have been known only to use a little glyphosate spot spraying on my paths when the couch gets too vigorous though and last year's efforts with the slugs meant I relented and put down evil slug pellets very sparingly) and do use loo rolls for starting off beans and sweet peas.  I also use cardboard and newspaper as a mulch as I had read that they had started using plant based glues and ink but I tend to stick to brown and white cardboard.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2013, 10:28 by angelavdavis »
Read about my allotment exploits at Ecodolly at plots 37 & 39.  Questions, queries and comments are appreciated at Comment on Ecodolly's exploits on plots 37 & 39

Jamrock

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2013, 11:54 »
Unless you are working towards becomng certified organic, toilet roll inners are unlikely to make much of an impact on your soil

I have even seen them used extensively somewhere that parades it's 'organic' certification from the rooftops on tv so I think they are something we can all use with a clear conscience

Optimistic Gardener

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2013, 12:16 »
Slight change of topic but related to loo roll inners nonetheless....has anyone else noticed that they seem to be smaller in diameter than in previous years?  I guess its the manufacturer cutting back etc etc......I'm sure they used to be wider......I wouldn't like anyone to think that I don't have anything to do with my time though!.......  :wub:

allotmentann

« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2013, 15:45 »
Slight change of topic but related to loo roll inners nonetheless....has anyone else noticed that they seem to be smaller in diameter than in previous years?  I guess its the manufacturer cutting back etc etc......I'm sure they used to be wider......I wouldn't like anyone to think that I don't have anything to do with my time though!.......  :wub:

Can't remember where but I heard this talked of, I think it was on the radio the other day, apparently one of the companies (can't remember which), made them 1cm smaller in diameter, this meant that they could pack more in a box, therefore more in a lorry and save millions of pounds on transport costs. Far greener too, so a good idea all round I would say.

Optimistic Gardener

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2013, 15:48 »
Thanks allotmentann, I'm all in favour of cutting back and saving costs and the environment.  I'm also pleased that my superhero powers of observation haven't quite failed yet!

OG

allotmentann

« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2013, 17:56 »
No, you must have eagle eyes. I would never have noticed! :)

Peas let my pumpkins grow

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2013, 20:08 »
I can't remember what brand but I saw on a 12 pack once that you could put their tubes in the composter as they had changed to a new natural glue....I think it might have been that big brand with the puppies but don't qoute me ??? Maybe try sending out a few emails to whatever brand u buy already?

stompy

« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2013, 08:28 »
It was just a thought in case there were any staunch Organic growers out there that had maybe missed these as a chemical source!

I used them for most plants but the only thing i did notice was they grow moulds better than athe plant thats suposed to be growing in there.  :lol:

I had noticed there are a few that have smaller inners, tends to be the cheaper varieties.
I noticed this as i made a couple of pretend mini binoculars for the girls  :blush:

MegC1991

« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2013, 11:42 »
We've planted them inside a box and grown carrots in them, it works pretty well!
"We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses."- Abraham Lincoln

xx
Loo paper cardboard inners

Started by mrs bouquet on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post March 09, 2009, 15:05
by dougsta
xx
Roll them carrots...

Started by Growster... on Grow Your Own

41 Replies
Last post July 02, 2011, 09:32
by DD.
xx
seed bed roll

Started by pumpkinpatch on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post May 27, 2009, 16:43
by pumpkinpatch
xx
loo roll question

Started by littlelisa on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post April 24, 2008, 22:08
by Elaine G

Page created in 0.479 seconds with 30 queries.