Great to be alive.

• 17 Replies

kloggs

Great to be alive.
« on: October 23, 2009, 19:49 »
Hi everyone, I have just been fortunate to spend three glorious hours on the allotment, The sun was shining brilliantly burning the side of my face and the birds were singing away, a little robin kept coming to visit my plot and there was a lovely smell of wood smoke wafting on the air, it was great to be alive. Has anyone else had a day like that today?  Contented allotmenteer Kloggs.
If a jobs worth doing etc. etc.

Babstreefern

Re: Great to be alive.
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2009, 20:13 »
In a word no :(.  I've been stuck in the office all day with idiot clients (I work in a solicitors), who frightens me with their "interlect" :nowink:.  For instance, our phones have been down for most of the afternoon, and I get an e-mail asking what time the phones will be up and running - duh ???, hellllo, how long's a piece of string?! :blush:

Anyway, when I get on to my lottie tomorrow, I'll calm down, and be next to human by teatime. :tongue2:
Babs

bigginge

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2009, 20:44 »
I was thinking just the same this afternoon. Did a bit of tidying up, a bit of digging, pushed back the 1 or 2 Radar onion sets I put in yesterday that had been pulled out, sat back and had a glass of wine and thought about the 5 pole of dandelions we took in April. We've had lots of produce, and are on top of the weeds, and we've had some lovely summer evenings down there, and spent time with our sons, daughters in law and grandchildren. Yes, it does make you feel glad to be alive.

peterjf

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2009, 00:17 »
there is deffinately something about getting down the plot for a few hours,

dig a bit , swear at the * weeds , share a cuppa with neighbouring plot keepers ,

taking advice from the old guys ,

the chief domestic engineer tells me that im like a big kid once im with my mates ,

im 55, terry is 68 , cliff is 81 ,  like big kids lol , but its amazing ,

i hated allotments 7 yrs ago , now its my bolt hole once the vacuum comes out 

or whenever i get the chance 

davethespread

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2009, 07:15 »
i love going down my allotment as well,i love the peace and quiet,that is until the kids at a nearby school come out at break,is there anything that shatters serenity like a screaming kid.put the guttering around the shed yesterday ready for todays rain,and i secured a couple of sturdy pallets from our local shopkeeper for a little bit of cheap decking outside the door,which is south facing cant wait for the spring to come.this was my first year as an allotmenteer,i was more than happy with my results considering i only started in march.
i dont suffer with insanity..........i enjoy every minute of it.

zazen999

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2009, 10:46 »
I was at mine yesterday as well; lovely day, gardening in the sun in a t-shirt..... :lol:

Rowan

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2009, 11:38 »
Its raining here.....  :(

on the up side, i started my raised beds in the sun on Thursday and i'm hoping to spend all day on the plot tomorrow (due sun all day)

The biggest up side for me is that its at the bottom of my garden  :D

hillbilly

• Experienced Member
  • Working at Freedom
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2009, 12:39 »
I had a wonderful day out clearing a patch for the construction of our coop.
I cropped rosehips (any recipes? :unsure:), elderberries and runner beans (still looking good) and had a wonderful fire for the brash  :D.
The autumn colours are GLOWING this year  :) the first time I've seen the Stuartia so good - it's deep burgundy at the top to luminous orangey red at the bottom, glorious.
I'm definately glad to be alive! :nowink:

starry

« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2009, 16:36 »
I had a bit of one of those days a week or 2 ago but at home, had just given the garden a tidy (postage stamp size) the sun was shining, my washing was blowing in the breeze and 3 little blue tits were taking it in turns to to have a dip in the bird bath glorious!!
some people are like slinkys......they're really good for nothing, but they still bring a smile to your face as you push them down the stairs!!

DavidT

« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2009, 18:44 »
And there are still people who HATE gardening, they must have something lacking. :lol: :lol: :lol: :D

stentman

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2009, 20:28 »
Had a cracking morning on the plot me and the kids did stuff and things that involved weeding, hanging bird scarers (old CD's on string) and it centered mainly on 6 and 8 year olds getting properly dirty, digging and messing around on their own mini raised beds. We were further honoured by a visit from the senior house manager. She said it was coming along fine and I was doing a good job. What greater praise does a man need on a Sunday morning.  :D
Stents keeping things open 24/7

If one way be better than another, that you can be sure is natures way. Aristotle 384BC - 322BC

madcat

« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2009, 20:35 »
I had a wonderful day out clearing a patch for the construction of our coop.
I cropped rosehips (any recipes? :unsure:),

You could try Tea - http://www.eatweeds.co.uk/how-to-dry-store-rose-hips-rosa-canina
or syrup http://www.cottagesmallholder.com/kateys-best-rosehip-syrup-recipe-121
or jelly http://www.cottagesmallholder.com/rosehip-and-apple-jelly-recipe-60

or planting them for more flowers in years to come!   :D

(PS  that's what i always end up doing!) :nowink:
All we need to make us really happy is something to be enthusiastic about (Charles Kingsley)

pumpkinpatch

« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2009, 20:36 »
In a word no :(.  I've been stuck in the office all day with idiot clients (I work in a solicitors), who frightens me with their "interlect" :nowink:.  For instance, our phones have been down for most of the afternoon, and I get an e-mail asking what time the phones will be up and running - duh ???, hellllo, how long's a piece of string?! :blush:

Anyway, when I get on to my lottie tomorrow, I'll calm down, and be next to human by teatime. :tongue2:
a piece of string is twice the length from the middle  :lol:

pumpkinpatch

« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2009, 20:38 »
iv been clearing out another section of land today it was breezy and coldish with the sun shining and the bonfire going it was brilliant there was leaves alover the place and that just set the scene  :) dont you just love it 

Sid

• Experienced Member
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2009, 08:41 »
Planted tulips and crocuses and somemore daffs yesterday, in between sorting out our rat problem >:(
It's a ten min drive to our lottie,and it's: our" little pieceof heaven" even just to have 1hr is wounderful, rain or shine.
Yesterday when we were sitting drinking our tea,and looking at the glorious colour of the trees, with the sea as a back drop simply stunning ::) ::)
if you want to be happy for a short time, get drunk; happy for a long time, fall in love; happy for ever, take up gardening

xx
Why can't I keep bay alive?

Started by shokkyy on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post April 15, 2012, 20:12
by heloise
xx
Help, I'm being eaten alive!

Started by Anteater on Grow Your Own

21 Replies
Last post August 29, 2013, 09:29
by Ema
xx
terence is alive .. woo hoo

Started by babe on Grow Your Own

81 Replies
Last post April 19, 2008, 23:34
by mashauk
xx
RASPBERRIES ALIVE

Started by ianl on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post May 04, 2012, 21:55
by SUTTY1

Page created in 0.497 seconds with 29 queries.