RASPBERRIES ALIVE

• 10 Replies

ianl

• Experienced Member
RASPBERRIES ALIVE
« on: May 02, 2012, 08:35 »
Hi, two weeks ago, I placed a post stating that my summer raspberries that I had planted earlier this year looked dead whereas the autumn ones planted afterwards were starting to grow. I went down the allotment last night and I was pleased to see very small buds on each stem. So if anybody else has the same problem- wait and see  :) The autumn ones are well ahead of the summer ones.

allotmentann

Re: RASPBERRIES ALIVE
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2012, 09:13 »
I am so pleased for you! I planted out nearly forty canes a couple of months back and could see no signs of life on most of them. Just this week, these too have come into leaf! I think at least the raspberries have liked all this rain!

thestens

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2012, 12:14 »
Planted 30 summer rasps in Jan and they are behind the established autumn rasps - perhaps that's the way it works!
Taken over neglected veg garden at new home. Enemy number 1 Ground Elder. Then there is the furry terror - bunnies - to contend with!
Made a start have beds established but moved in too late for serious planting. We shall see what 2015 brings.

ianl

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2012, 13:46 »
I notice that you both have planted a lot of raspberries. I only planted six of each! There's only the two of us so I hope that it will be adequate. I don't know how much of a crop I will get.It is strange though how the autumn ones flourish early.

allotmentann

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2012, 16:37 »
Ha :lol: raspberries are a favourite! I prefer them to strawberries. What is not eaten fresh will freeze or be made into sorbet and ice cream. You can never have too many raspberries!

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2012, 16:57 »
You may only have 6 of each now, but just you wait and see how quickly they spread  :)

chriscross1966

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2012, 19:36 »
People plant 30 or 40 canes?....
1: YOu must seriously love raspberries....
2: You will need a machete to control them by next year :D.....

I have enough issues keeping on top of the four that I've got at home adn the 6 that will be going out to the plot.... and I might well pass some of the six on to others, they arrived as part of Lidl multi-packs I bought to get the blackcurrants ..... 40 plants is a 160 foot row or four forty foot rows... my Dad loved raspberries but he only had two rows of them .....

Glad to hear your summer ones are only tardy, not dead. THey won't fruit this summer if they've only just gone out this set of seasons, and if they try you probably should disbud them when the flower buds show.... force them to put their energy into growing a bit stronger, they won't need pruning this year except to tidy up, they'll fruit on this years wood next year....

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2012, 21:07 »
Raspberries are very very good at reproduction

I am still pulling out suckers from at least a metre outside their allowed space  :lol:
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

ianl

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2012, 13:39 »
People plant 30 or 40 canes?....
1: YOu must seriously love raspberries....
2: You will need a machete to control them by next year :D.....

I have enough issues keeping on top of the four that I've got at home adn the 6 that will be going out to the plot.... and I might well pass some of the six on to others, they arrived as part of Lidl multi-packs I bought to get the blackcurrants ..... 40 plants is a 160 foot row or four forty foot rows... my Dad loved raspberries but he only had two rows of them .....

Glad to hear your summer ones are only tardy, not dead. THey won't fruit this summer if they've only just gone out this set of seasons, and if they try you probably should disbud them when the flower buds show.... force them to put their energy into growing a bit stronger, they won't need pruning this year except to tidy up, they'll fruit on this years wood next year....

Thanks for that advice. I wouldn't thought of that.

edit to fix quote
« Last Edit: May 03, 2012, 18:09 by Yorkie »

lochnesslass

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2012, 15:48 »
we put in about 12 rasp canes 2 yrs ago and nothing came of them they were just dead sticks in the ground so removed them or dug them in the plot.
now in the last few weeks there are some growing at 2 of the previous planted sites!
is this possible? there is no cane but it appears that there are branches just coming out the ground all round a central spot.
these 2 take all my time, whatever is left the veggies get, poor hubby is at the end of the queue.

SUTTY1

• Pumpkin Champion 2010 / Super Winner of the Tallest Sunflower Competition 2011
  • Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2012, 21:55 »
It's probally your rasps growing back their tough plants.
 i moved my fruit bed 3/4 yrs ago and the rasps still keep growing despite regular hoeing and digging

xx
Raspberries alive?

Started by Torgan on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post March 10, 2012, 12:42
by Torgan
xx
Why can't I keep bay alive?

Started by shokkyy on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post April 15, 2012, 20:12
by heloise
xx
terence is alive .. woo hoo

Started by babe on Grow Your Own

81 Replies
Last post April 19, 2008, 23:34
by mashauk
xx
Help, I'm being eaten alive!

Started by Anteater on Grow Your Own

21 Replies
Last post August 29, 2013, 09:29
by Ema

Page created in 0.668 seconds with 38 queries.