Help, I'm being eaten alive!

• 21 Replies

Anteater

Help, I'm being eaten alive!
« on: August 23, 2013, 10:01 »
As my name suggests I have a massive ant problem and was wondering if anyone can make suggestions on what to do.

We have millions of ants. They are small, black and bite like crazy. They live in the ground and in our muck heap (which we will have to treat as it looks like its moving), they live in the wood of our raised beds, our pots and they've even made nests under the tarmac in the road outside. They are definitely attracted to the aphids which are on my beans, they are also attacking my tomatoes, and the buds on the roses. We've had ant powder brought over by friends by the bucket load, but they seem to get used to it, I'm really at a loss as to what to try on huge a huge scale. This is infestation on an Amazonian scale  :blush:

compostqueen

Re: Help, I'm being eaten alive!
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2013, 11:09 »
I read that Italians use diesel to kill literally everything that crawls. Ask your neighbours what they do  :)

Anteater

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2013, 11:51 »
Yep, I asked them....they use diesel!

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2013, 12:01 »
Ants don't like wet conditions, so your location and climate is no doubt a lot to do with it, and also the problem when it comes to dealing with them, unless you happen to have unlimited quantities of water to flood them into submission and move somewhere drier.

Diesel sound a bit drastic - surely someone must have found a more environmentally friendly treatment?
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

goodtogrow

• Experienced Member
  • Less is More
    • stirruphoes
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2013, 12:14 »
Might you just be in the full throes of their breeding season, and the situation will right itself?

Tom
No-one has a monopoly of knowledge, nor wisdom

carlotta

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2013, 17:06 »
I have the same problem ants nesting everywhere!!  I have red ants very large and when they bite it is like a wasps sting, the black ants dont seem to bite half as much.

I have them in the compost bin as well. I have tried ant powder not in the compost bin but in one of the many other nest sites, but it has made no difference.

Don't fancy using diesel   :ohmy:

TheWhiteRabbit

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2013, 17:14 »
Napalm??   ;)

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2013, 17:37 »
I disturbed a black ant nest whilst weeding my front garden yesterday - I wondered why some of the very dry soil had "moved" but soon found out - they do nip but it doesn't really hurt (but then they weren't very large ants!)

They obviously don't like being disturbed, and will move on, especially if you wet the area too, although you may find you like where they move on to even less!   ::)

I tend to leave them alone if I know they're there, although I don't have them on the epic scale that Anteater does.  :ohmy:

ilan

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2013, 17:50 »
hot or boiling water seems to upset them  ;)
This is the first age that has ever paid much attention to the future which is ironic since we may not have one !(Arthur c Clarke)

seaside

« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2013, 18:16 »
By offering them a dry place under a small plastic cover during the next wet period, one can slowly drive them to a place that is more convenient. Greenhouses can sometimes become their next port of call, and that can be a little more pressing.

carlotta

« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2013, 18:17 »
I wanted to put boiling water in the compost bin but luckily spotted a couple of slow worms before I poured!!

bravemurphy

« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2013, 18:27 »
I wouldn't eat anything that came from land that diesel was put on , but then again you probably would not be able to  grow anything on that land for a long time.

diospyros

« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2013, 18:39 »
I have used Borax mixed with sugar the idea is they carry it back to the nest and poison themselves there.  Also when they come in the house they follow trails left by other ants so if you clean where they have trailed they shouldn't be able to find their way back to the food source.  But that's about all I know.

devonbarmygardener

• I live, therefore I garden!
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2013, 19:43 »

I was reading about that in the Annie Hawes books!! :lol:
Terrifying thought! :ohmy:

Anteater

« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2013, 20:14 »

I was reading about that in the Annie Hawes books!! :lol:
Terrifying thought! :ohmy:

Now you see why I joined this forum... I'm in need of some level headed and environmentally friendly people who care about what they eat! I really cant see the point of growing your own veg and dousing them with chemicals (or diesel), mind you, that maybe why my neighbours are in their 90's.

Thanks Diospyros for the Borax idea, I will try that. I've also just read that cornmeal is supposed to work, and as I've got a packet of Polenta at the back of the kitchen cupboard I'll try that while I start looking out for the Borax.

I'll report back

xx
pak choi being eaten alive

Started by mandycharlie on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post May 02, 2007, 08:00
by mandycharlie
xx
potato eaten alive!!

Started by frenchliving on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post June 14, 2012, 08:06
by Salmo
xx
Gooseberry bush eaten alive!

Started by Casey76 on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post September 16, 2009, 08:36
by 8doubles
xx
Why can't I keep bay alive?

Started by shokkyy on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post April 15, 2012, 20:12
by heloise

Page created in 0.518 seconds with 38 queries.