What are you NOT growing next year?

• 139 Replies

cudders

• Experienced Member
Re: What are you NOT growing next year?
« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2009, 12:49 »
Less courgettes for sure..Three plants and way too  many!

Prob wont bother with Broad beans as we dont eat enough..

Celery..dont like it..poor harvest anyway..

Calabrese is a waste of time..tiny heads that bolt..back to purple sprouting from now on!

Everything else was fine..yummy..

Cudders

Jonajo

• Experienced Member
« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2009, 13:13 »
Not going to bother with french beans. They're ok but nothing special.

I'm not going to grow turnip either - will plump for swede instead next year.

And in terms of salad, rather than grow the several varieties of lettuce as I did this year, which worked fine, I will instead do what I did on one of my smaller raised beds: open individual packets of wild rocket, beetroot, leeks, spinach, flat leaf parsley, land cress (and a few other leafy things like many of these), mix the seeds together and randomly scatter them on the bed close together before covering. It worked a real treat, more so than typical "cut and grow", and was so much more interesting and flavoursome than whole lettuces.
"Set down the wine and the dice and perish the thought of tomorrow"

Plottered

• Still on the same list!
« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2009, 14:09 »
deffo no more Ridge cumbers  :tongue2: but more sweetcorn providing i have room or who knows i may have a lotty by then and room for loads. (are you reading this Tameside Council)  :D
R.I.P Bobby Smiler Smith......love you always little fella.

bean there, dug that

« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2009, 14:10 »
Much less rainbow chard. Sunday it went with the roast, Monday it featured in the bubble and squeak, tonight it'll be in a flan and there's a jolly good chance it'll be in a cannelloni tomorrow.  :ohmy:

Nobbie

« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2009, 14:26 »
No more carrots for me, easily swamped with weeds, then carrot fly gets them. To be honest, I've found that the supermarket 'basics' carrots are good and tasty and already washed.

Calabrese is on it's last warning, I'll try it on my new allotment and if it bolts again I'll stick with purple sprouting.

Autumn fruiting raspberries, just not a patch on the summer fruiting varieties in terms of flavour or cropping and a pain to pick as they hide the fruit so well >:(

White Currants - what's the point? Too many seeds.

polly tunnel

« Reply #20 on: August 25, 2009, 14:36 »
I agree that french beans are possibly not worth the bother, love my runners and I have had a good crop of tomatoes outside this year. I have had brassicas on final warning this year so the jury is out as yet, very pleased with kale and squashes, but I only had three courgette plants this year, because of too much last year and only one producing! i also agree that I will not be growing ridge cucumbers next year, stick with the bog standard i say, far more reliable.
The only thing i will say in defence of rainbow chard is it does last ages, so i don't feel the need to use it all at once.
My chillis are very late this year only now fruiting up and still obviously very green. Thank the lord for wonderful leeks and my onions have been fantastic, perhaps will try shallots again next year as others seem to have been successful.
Have others had less trouble with slugs this year is it just me?

catllar

« Reply #21 on: August 25, 2009, 14:44 »
Not growing veg at all next year. I've been trying in this climate for the past 6 years and now I GIVE UP. I'd rather pay someone else to do it for me - we have lots of small organic producers round here - I'll be keeping them employed and saving on my humungous water bills (every drop here is metered). I planted 40 runners and got precisely 3 beans. Lettuce bolted before I turned round. Toms disappointing small crop - too hot- French beans OK but not amazing. Courgettes shrivelled and died. Squash =1!! Roquette disappeared, as did runners and beetroot and chillis. 1 eggcup full of blackcurrants from 2 bushes. jerusalem artichokes are good growers but  you can have too much of a good thing and they do have their own social problems. Grapes and apricots are doing well and my strawberries have been fine. Having suffered a broken
 back this year has made me re-prioritise and to be honest there is more I want to do with my time than try to coax reluctant veggies to play along. Good luck to all who continue vegging- you're braver than me!

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #22 on: August 25, 2009, 15:33 »
I've found that the supermarket 'basics' carrots are good and tasty

:ohmy: :ohmy: :ohmy: :ohmy:
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Nobbie

« Reply #23 on: August 25, 2009, 15:46 »

I'll get my coat :nowink:

Carrie3

« Reply #24 on: August 25, 2009, 16:03 »
Marrows!!  Take up too much space and they're not versatile enough for me - only so much stuffed marrow any one person (let alone the hubby and kids) can manage!

'Mixed' leaves - yuk - bitter!

Everything else was good!!

Carrie xx

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #25 on: August 25, 2009, 16:04 »

I'll get my coat :nowink:

Why, going out to buy some taste buds? :lol: :tongue2:

mrs bouquet

« Reply #26 on: August 25, 2009, 16:45 »
Agree with argyllie no more tomatoes after loosing the whole lot 2 yrs running.
And I give up on lettuce, what didn't get eaten by the slugs had bolted by the time I had eaten the first one :(

Elaine

I am fed-up with lettuce too for the same reasons.    Mrs Bouquet
Birds in cages do not sing  -  They are crying.

Jonajo

• Experienced Member
« Reply #27 on: August 25, 2009, 17:10 »

yes the ready-packaged "mixed leaves" seeds are not great. BUT try buying several packs of different leaves and things, mix up the seeds and then plant that random mix - really lovely, miles nicer than mixed salad you buy in the shops and much much cheaper.

Elcie

« Reply #28 on: August 25, 2009, 18:14 »

yes the ready-packaged "mixed leaves" seeds are not great. BUT try buying several packs of different leaves and things, mix up the seeds and then plant that random mix - really lovely, miles nicer than mixed salad you buy in the shops and much much cheaper.

I really like that idea, thank you.  Will do this in a pot next year as well as my mixed leaves. 

peapod

• Pea Goddess
« Reply #29 on: August 25, 2009, 18:31 »
As many courgette plants as I did this year  :D

oh and red onions and little gem lettuce.  Only I ate it, as everyone else wanted the webbs wonderful instead.  Webbs look good too  ;)
"I think the carrot infinitely more fascinating than the geranium. The carrot has mystery. Flowers are essentially tarts. Prostitutes for the bees. There is, you'll agree, a certain je ne sais quoi oh so very special about a firm young carrot" Withnail and I

xx
growing carrots in the same place year after year???

Started by daz on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post July 22, 2008, 10:22
by mtoyne
xx
What are you growing next year?

Started by sarah1983jane on Grow Your Own

24 Replies
Last post October 20, 2010, 22:14
by digalotty
xx
1st year of growing

Started by skywalker on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post January 27, 2007, 23:45
by skywalker
question
Growing next year??

Started by Goldfinger on Grow Your Own

22 Replies
Last post September 27, 2010, 23:18
by zazen999

Page created in 0.675 seconds with 38 queries.