Declining yields from saved shallot sets

• 3 Replies

JayG

• Global Moderator
Declining yields from saved shallot sets
« on: October 16, 2009, 13:52 »
About 10 years ago an elderly gentleman who was too infirm to continue gardening gave me some un-named shallot sets (white, globe type). He died a year or so later so partly out of sentimental reasons, and partly because they produced huge shallots which also kept well I kept saving what I thought were sound bulbs to plant the following year.

Over the years the health and vitality of the crop has steadily diminished to the point where this year there is nothing worth saving to re-plant.

Have successfully grown Mikor for a few years and Vigarmor this year so wondering whether the others somehow ran out of steam or I did not use sufficient care in selecting the right bulbs to re-plant.

Anyone else had this problem over the years?

Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Nobbie

Re: Declining yields from saved shallot sets
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2009, 14:11 »
As they must be genetically identical to the original shallots as they just split each year, it could be that one of the original shallots was rubbish and you kept using those for replanting. Maybe you always picked the smallest ones to replant and cooked the large ones? Maybe they have caught some sort of virus which has diminished their vigor? This happens with raspberries and blackcurrants after a few years.

savbo

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2009, 14:27 »
interesting one from a biological point of view isn't it? Were the original sets genetically identical to each other? If not, it's possible you've unconciously selected the weakest clone to replant each year...but seems unlikely... if they are all one clone, why should they get weaker rather than getting wiped out by one infection? could it be depleting nutrients? not if they're rotated. Build-up of mutations? possible... I think I might go for a build up of mutations or of sub-lethal viruses....

Where's a plant pathologist when you need one?
:)
M

Trillium

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2009, 17:00 »
Another possibility is that the soil wasn't rich enough for good growth. People forget that the whole onion family (which includes shallots) require lots of muck and moisture for optimum growth. And they need area rotation every year.

I took think its unlikely the plant lost genetic vigor as its identical cloning that happens.

Try again this year, in an area that hasn't grown any type of onion for a few years, improve it this fall with lots of old muck, some compost, blood and bonemeal and let it sit for a few months. In very early spring plant out the bulbs and see how they do next summer. Its a nice idea to perpetuate old varieties and one last try is always worth the effort.

xx
Shallot Sets

Started by Mr Rotavator on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post July 30, 2011, 18:42
by Trillium
xx
Shallot sets

Started by woodavon on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post February 07, 2013, 13:56
by woodavon
xx
Shallot sets

Started by Scribbler on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post March 13, 2008, 17:17
by wighty
xx
onion and shallot sets

Started by apes1978 on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post July 09, 2007, 15:29
by apes1978

Page created in 0.451 seconds with 37 queries.