What are you NOT growing next year?

• 139 Replies

SG6

Re: What are you NOT growing next year?
« Reply #30 on: August 25, 2009, 18:53 »
I like brocolli but it seems I will have to wait until next spring before I get any, seems too long so the ones I have may end up as compost as the space could be used for something early next year.

Bought mammoth onion seed and mammoth leek seed. Both have been poor. Leeks looked fair about 3 months back but 3 days ago I gave up and pulled them. Seen spring onions of more substantial size. Onions also have been close to useless. Don't think I will bother again with these.

Will try more root  crops like turnip and swede. The Cereriac I tried this year have been good. Have shallot seed to give a try.

HilaryG

• Experienced Member
  • l
« Reply #31 on: August 25, 2009, 18:57 »
Definitely fewer courgettes...I've tried nearly every recipe on the site.
No more asparagus peas.........tasteless.
No more pak choi........plagued by flea beetle and don't eat that many stirfries.
Scorzernera and salsify.......jury still out on these, v. delicate taste, but a bit of a pain to grow and take up space for a long time.
Less perpetual spinach........bit strong for my palette.
Like most people I will only grow toms at home from now on, cos of blight.
There are some dwarf fruit trees that came with the plot, 18mths ago, that may get the chop as they're not doing much, sadly.
Hamburg parsley........what was I thinking! 
The less time you have, the more becomes available.

penance

« Reply #32 on: August 25, 2009, 19:01 »
No Black russian toms next year, hardly any fruit and odd distorted plants that wanted to take up most of the greenhouse.

No Cabbage, way to much hassle and now prefer Italian Kale.

galen

• Experienced Member
« Reply #33 on: August 25, 2009, 19:15 »
No cabbage, although I'm just getting ready to transplant my spring ones I think Kale is a much better option.

Fewer Runner Beans, less main crop potatoes or possibly just try some different varieties.

Although I lost my lottie tomatoes due to blight I will try them again next year - with dithane !!
Paul, Andrew, Kevin, Galen - My parents got bored of normal names in the end!

Pompey Spud

« Reply #34 on: August 25, 2009, 19:25 »
I find it's a case of learning and trying to do things better?

ie It took me 3 sowings of KW peas the DD way to get it right sought of.  3rd time I didn't get my twine tied higher quicker hence peas had no support; rained heavily that night and it all collapsed. Still got a good crop unexpectedly.

Will plant 4 wigwams instead of eight with no Runners (grow them at home)to fit more peas plus will sow more after the Broad Beans have cropped. This timing thing...

Won't bother with a row of Chard, just a few plants!! Well, there is only a certain amount you can eat.

Will grow winter Onions to lessen the need for more Spring sown to create room.

More timing.

More Sweetcorn to grow within the squash patch rather than the outside which the Badgers helped themselves to!!  Glad I'm feeding the local mammals. Makes me feel good...I don't think so.
Top tip for camping....don't go.

MikeyandAnnie

« Reply #35 on: August 25, 2009, 19:39 »

won't bother with broad beans next year, they were covered in blackfly!

I grew em for the first year and put some nasturtiums nearby.  The blackfly went almost entirely on the nasturtiums.
Growing our own.

waddecar

• Experienced Member
« Reply #36 on: August 25, 2009, 21:29 »
Out door Toms - I have the builders in at the moment putting down a base so it will be GH toms next year.

Grew climbing French beans for first time this year wont bother with the dwarf vars again - save my back

Jury is out on butternut squash - its taking over and so far no fruit showing

Kate and her Ducks

« Reply #37 on: August 25, 2009, 21:45 »
Sadly many things I will not be growing next year as I just do not have the room and everything has to make the most of the tiny space I have. I'm with Aidy on the Burpees Golden Globe. Will  be sticking to plain, standard beetroots next year. Might replace the onions with more garlic. The spinach beet, tattie, runner beans, peas, leeks :D and courgettes all stay.
Be like a duck. Calm on the surface but always paddling like the dickens underneath.

mr Isaccs

• Experienced Member
« Reply #38 on: August 25, 2009, 22:21 »
Nothing
Apart from outdoor toms I think I will try everything again next year and maybe a few extras but try to learn and improve on my cockups. Tis my first year afterall.

Cockups include :-

Carrots that grew no bigger than a chippolata
Onions that got white rot
Broad beans that had a season lasting about 4 days
Lettuce  ( ::))
Tomato blyte of course
Potatoes were so small the blyte didn't want them
Sweeds which were first attacked by pigeons are bout the size of pullet eggs
Cabbages are rotting from inside out
Leeks with rust that dont seem to be growing much bigger than when put in ground, and many other dissapointing attempts but most of it still ended up on my plate.

That aside there were a few successes too so I'm looking forward to my second year and grab it with both hands.
Post the same thread next year and I'm sure I'll have a bigger list of not to grows lol.
Great post btw, produced some funny tales

« Last Edit: August 25, 2009, 23:16 by mr Isaccs »
I'm banned for being obnoxious (not pompous as you might have thought)

Brambles

« Reply #39 on: August 25, 2009, 22:45 »
Not so keen on French Beans, always grown them but maybe not next year..  Cabbages, Brussels and Broccoli were completely stripped to the core by Cabbage Whites while I wasn't looking, so will have to find a way of overcoming that problem!  Spinach and Runner Beans are always a great crop..will ALWAYS grow them..  My WORST crop was sweetcorn...  Definitely no more!! 

Rangerkris

• My pic's
« Reply #40 on: August 26, 2009, 07:05 »
I wont be growing as many tom's, and broccoli raab 60 day its goes to flower so quick grrrrr. it might be me leaving it to long. 

I will be sowing many more peas for next year
Thanks
Kris

Christine

« Reply #41 on: August 26, 2009, 09:04 »
Won't be bothering with sweetcorn again - far too much hassle. The plot is too windy for sunflowers and the hedges need cutting too regularly to support them.

Will do leeks from seed straight into the ground, get the dwarf beans in earlier and give Pink Fir Apples a miss in favour of more King Edward tatties.

Not sure about onions - cheap enough in the shops and is it better to grow the expensive vegetables we like? Probably - so more leeks and fewer or no onions?

It's been too windy for outdoor tomatoes this year and they never give you a day off. So daughter's conservatory thingy it is again. Not buying a greenhouse just for tomatoes.

diggerjoe

« Reply #42 on: August 26, 2009, 09:15 »
Cabbage and caulis out next year either bolt or cabbage white get under the netting - carrots rubbish again they are off the list - I agree about courgettes 5 plants will be down to 2 next year - more leeks and onions - no toms on the plot and just a couple of plants at home - blight v effort not worth it - less potatoes I have now harversted 4 big sacks and still about 8 rows left to go  - theres only 3 of us!!! lettuce more of the deer tounge and yellow american from real seeds - no mixed salad slugs goumet treat not mine! but then as soon as the seeds catalogues arrive it will be all change again :D :D

flowerpower

• Experienced Member
« Reply #43 on: August 26, 2009, 13:26 »
French beans are out next year
Runner Beans are in (Achievement Merit variety - FAB!)
Sweetcorn going like billy-o
2x green courgettes and 1 x yellow (just right)
Rocket early pots out - so disappointed - I meal out of them
Vivaldi main crop def in
lettuces as long as I get rocket at the same time
Need to keep sowing beetroot... I've run out (sob..)
Onions are in cos they just love our soil
Leeks ditto
Sorrel - am in love with the stuff and it grows and grows!
BNS - I like it cos it keeps.

Am about to give up hope on GH toms. All still green or in flower.

Must plant parsnips next year

Carrie3

« Reply #44 on: August 26, 2009, 14:05 »

'Mixed' leaves - yuk - bitter!

yes the ready-packaged "mixed leaves" seeds are not great. BUT try buying several packs of different leaves and things, mix up the seeds and then plant that random mix - really lovely, miles nicer than mixed salad you buy in the shops and much much cheaper.

Thanks for that - I have actually already bought my seeds for next year from our local Wyevale - all reduced to 50p per packet, and in date until 2011!!  Bargain!! :lol:

Carrie xx

xx
growing carrots in the same place year after year???

Started by daz on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post July 22, 2008, 10:22
by mtoyne
xx
Next year I will definitely not be growing.....

Started by sunshineband on Grow Your Own

74 Replies
Last post December 22, 2012, 21:31
by thestens
question
Growing next year??

Started by Goldfinger on Grow Your Own

22 Replies
Last post September 27, 2010, 23:18
by zazen999
xx
1st year of growing

Started by skywalker on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post January 27, 2007, 23:45
by skywalker

Page created in 0.483 seconds with 36 queries.